20 Reasons Why WAV Is Better Than MP3 ( By Silent Code )

320038_10151371407601845_835555795_n.jpg

Is that Rio Ferdinand?

Paul Ashmore said:
Fact 2. Storage is so affordable these days, there is no longer an argument for saving a lower quality file.

This is a fair point, but nowadays you should be rocking an ssd in any computer setup. They are not so spacious or affordable. Back to MP3's!

Paul Ashmore said:
Fact 11. If a DJ set is full of MP3s, and then recorded, and then compressed again for people at home to listen to, you get even worse information loss and degraded music because it’s been compressed numerous times.

And this really matters when the majority of your listener base will be listening through ipod headphones or worse still, laptop speakers? Irrespective of this, most will stream the broadcast which will degrade it to at least 320k, probably less.

Paul Ashmore said:
Fact 18. Even though you can’t hear above 20KHz, missing high frequencies perceive how you hear lower frequencies.

Never heard of this, the point is though that most producers will cull this frequency range anyway, because you cant hear it. Its the same set of frequencies they use to keep kids from standing outside mcdonalds. You know, the kind that fucking hurts. You dont want this in your music.

Paul Ashmore said:
Fact 20. MP3 can not code 5.1 stereo surround sound.
If you ever get a gig which is playing on a rig with anything else but mono, gimme a shout yeh. No-one would setup a rig in 5.1, you probably shouldnt try n bounce your stereo tunes down in that format either. Jus' sayin.

Aside from all these 'facts' theres one major bug-bear I've got with WAV; meta data.
All programs, mp3 players, etc are made to pick this stuff up to show you information about the track inside the program/device/whatever. WAV does not have this.
I don't know if you've ever tried to browse an untidy collection of music without cover art or any kind of consistency but its a fucking nightmare. So, as wicked as it may sound, if you cant find that next killer track, you look like a tit.

I have no quarrel with the fact that WAV sounds better than MP3 in perfect studio conditions, it does. It makes little difference though if youre playing out on a standard rig (aside from Funktion One, maybe) and youve got shit gain structure or mediocre hardware.

If you ever get a gig which is playing on a rig with anything else but mono, gimme a shout yeh. No-one would setup a rig in 5.1, you probably shouldnt try n bounce your stereo tunes down in that format either. Jus' sayin.

Aside from all these 'facts' theres one major bug-bear I've got with WAV; meta data.
All programs, mp3 players, etc are made to pick this stuff up to show you information about the track inside the program/device/whatever. WAV does not have this.
I don't know if you've ever tried to browse an untidy collection of music without cover art or any kind of consistency but its a fucking nightmare. So, as wicked as it may sound, if you cant find that next killer track, you look like a tit.

I have no quarrel with the fact that WAV sounds better than MP3 in perfect studio conditions, it does. It makes little difference though if youre playing out on a standard rig (aside from Funktion One, maybe) and youve got shit gain structure or mediocre hardware.

Some Psy-Trance rigs set up surround sound speakers to get the typical psy effect to almost encircle the listeners...

Missrepresent writing an article (lol) on why one digital format is better than another? Didn't she used to explode into a tantrum if anyone tried to discuss anything other than vinyl DJing?

She is a full on nutcase.

Some Psy-Trance rigs set up surround sound speakers to get the typical psy effect to almost encircle the listeners...

fair enough, I haven't much knowledge of the psy trance scene. Is it the case that they actually make tunes in 5.1 surround sound or literally just setup a speaker in every corner?
Because you can still encircle a group of ravers with a mono rig, and that doesnt make it 5.1 surround sound.

im not too familiar with the technical side of it nor do i think its done on a commercial basis but i no a few free party rigs that do this... and they engineering their tunes to the specifics of their rigs to kind of flow from right to left round and round and round and etc...

The argument that the average Joe Bloggs can’t hear the difference between a 320 MP3 and an uncompressed WAV saddens me.

Saddens me even more when people dont even know wav is an option, and opt for 192kbps youtube rips.

Ive had people come over, stick a flash drive into my laptop, and load some shockingly terrible quality tunes into serato. Im talking absolutly abysmal. And they had no idea what i was talking about when i was saying its shitty quality.

was literally just about to post this

Glades main psytrance stage is 5.1 funktion and when youre fucked and a sound spins all the way round you... fucking trippy, sounds so cool

"Do you understand the impact you have on your fans ears on a long term basis by not going that extra mile and caring?' hahaha ridiculous plus there are alot of inaccuracies in this article

Fact 18. Even though you can’t hear above 20KHz, missing high frequencies perceive how you hear lower frequencies.

Fact 1. Some humans can hear up to 22Khz. (right bit contradicting)

Fact 20. MP3 can not code 5.1 stereo surround sound. (not true)

Fact 7. John Rofrano has quoted that WAVs will always sound better than MP3 so stick to the Wavs. (who the flying fuck is that)

could pick in to it further but cant be assed

In regards to the frequency thing I think she is referring to aliasing. When frequencies are present that are over half the sample rate it is heard aliasing. or something...

'When you buy albums on CD, you are buying the highest quality mastered music'

False.

I'm pretty sure most CD's are truncated down to 16bit and have dithering applied.
You can buy 24bit wavs now right?

Most of the CD's I have bought have some noise present throughout the whole CD.

- - - Updated - - -

''Analog sound quality is measured by a frequency response. Sound is a vibration, and if you take those vibrations away, you may not be able to physically hear it, but on a loud sound system, you can certainly feel it. Music kicks out frequencies that changes your mood. These things can affect your emotions. Just because you can’t hear something, doesn’t mean the vibrations are not there, and vibrations are key.''

What?
If you take the vibrations away then there is no sound at all. If there is no vibration you won't feel anything either. Sound is any vibration that occurs within 20hz - 20 kHz. Sound doesn't exist within a medium. It is simply a vibration. It only becomes sound when there is someone present to interpret the vibrations as sound.

I could explain better but I'm hungry

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this though.....
''The time and effort that artists put in, to make great quality sounding music is admirable, so don’t trash it all instantly by degrading it to MP3.

If you degrade music, and advocate something at a lesser quality than what it deserves, you will only degrade your soul.''

Fact 7. John Rofrano has quoted that WAVs will always sound better than MP3 so stick to the Wavs. (who the flying fuck is that)
lol, not heard of this guy either. I'd be more interested to know where that nugget of wisdom originally came from.

"John Rofano has quoted".... Well, who was he quoting then? :)

Back
Top Bottom