20 Reasons Why WAV Is Better Than MP3 ( By Silent Code )

Never mind how it's written...not really controversial is it? WAVs are a bit better then mp3s does not make for Sunday evening trolling. IMO.

It took about ten replys until someone finallly said it.....LOL

So true mate, the dnb scene is all about who's got the biggest cock now-a-days.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, not heard of this guy either. I'd be more interested to know where that nugget of wisdom originally came from.

"John Rofano has quoted".... Well, who was he quoting then? :)

Who is Johnny Roy?
Musician, Vocalist, Songwriter, Author, VASST Trainer, Videographer, Software Architect.

As a keyboard player, his early influences were musicians like Peter Nero, Dave Brubeck, Jimmy Smith, and later Lee Michaels, Rick Wakeman, and Keith Emerson. He admires songwriters like Burton Cummings and Randy Newman for their unique songwriting styles, and bands like Yes, Genesis, ELP, and Gentle Giant for their musicianship and willingness to push the envelope of progressive rock. John spent 10 years back in the 70’s as a working rock musician paying his dues in nightclubs and studios the NY tri-state area. His interest in the early days of electronic music and MIDI programming ultimately lead to a career in the field of computer science. After discovering his new passion for videography in 2000, John has come full circle back to his roots of music composition and scoring music for video. When not making music, editing video, or designing new software plug-ins, you can find John hanging out on at the Creative Cow Vegas forum where he is a moderator for the Sony Vegas Pro forum, at the Digital Media Network forums where he is a moderator for the Sony ACID and Vegas Scritping forum, and on the Sony Creative Software Vegas forums under the username JohnnyRoy.

Johnny Roy was my stage name for the 10 years that I played live 5 nights a week in a rock band (circa 1970-1980). My uncle Jimmy Rofrano (who’s real name was Vincent James Rofrano) played guitar in Al Goodman’s orchestra and took the name Jimmy Roy. He died before he could see me play professionally so I took the stage name Johnny Roy in his honor.

( COPY AND PASTED ) LOL

Basically.... fuck Miss Rep. Dont listen to anything she says. Buy a lazer pen and shoot yourself in your eye for half an hour. You will have more fun.

''Analog sound quality is measured by a frequency response. Sound is a vibration, and if you take those vibrations away, you may not be able to physically hear it, but on a loud sound system, you can certainly feel it. Music kicks out frequencies that changes your mood. These things can affect your emotions. Just because you can’t hear something, doesn’t mean the vibrations are not there, and vibrations are key.''

some good physics there, oh dear...

also...a mastering engineer posted this up? what the fuck, I thought those guys were meant to be knowledgeable on waves/oscillations etc.

Saddens me even more when people dont even know wav is an option, and opt for 192kbps youtube rips.

Ive had people come over, stick a flash drive into my laptop, and load some shockingly terrible quality tunes into serato. Im talking absolutly abysmal. And they had no idea what i was talking about when i was saying its shitty quality.

makes me laugh when people claim their youtube rip is 320 just coz it says 320

I could shit in a jar and stick a label on it saying "strawberry jam" but it sure as hell doesnt make it strawberry jam

Saddens me even more when people dont even know wav is an option, and opt for 192kbps youtube rips.

Ive had people come over, stick a flash drive into my laptop, and load some shockingly terrible quality tunes into serato. Im talking absolutly abysmal. And they had no idea what i was talking about when i was saying its shitty quality.

This is the reason why I wrote it..... it's awful. It got to the point where I wrote it in anger, and i'm still glad I did as it's got a lot of people talking.

Apologies for any inaccuracies, I'm not a writer I just jotted down some points for people to think about. I get that most people on here realise it's a better format, the majority of people on here are intelligent educated people, but if you read some of the other forums that Paul posted it on, the replys about youtube rips / MP3s is almost shocking, and is why I wrote it.

The taking vibrations away was in reference to cutting frequencies - which is what MP3s do & the aliasing arguments but I didn't delve too much into that.

Also - Yes I still also shout for people to play vinyl and still play it where I can, though did move to CDJS about 8 years ago :)

The taking vibrations away was in reference to cutting frequencies - which is what MP3s do & the aliasing arguments but I didn't delve too much into that.

depends where you're playing the music really, funktion one frequency response rolls off after about 18-19khz so would they reproduce these inaudible frequencies to a level we can hear them? (even though we can't hear them to start with?)

depends where you're playing the music really, funktion one frequency response rolls off after about 18-19khz so would they reproduce these inaudible frequencies to a level we can hear them? (even though we can't hear them to start with?)

I don't think that where you play the music really matters - You don't make one track for a club and one for someones home sound system, I certainly don't. If you focus on your music for just the club, then what about people listening to music on high end systems at home?

It's a good thing that they roll off so they don't damage peoples ears.
What i'm saying is the difference in the the frequency span of an MP3 to a WAV and how MP3 degrades the quality. As of 12khz up to roll off point of say 16 / 18 it is false digital information on a MP3 as it's been dithered to such a low quality below a false 16 bit.

Infrabass goes down to 30hz with horns to 20hz. Res2 50 hz and Res4 is 50hz. A close friend designed the c-cap module in funktion one amplifiers / speakers the whole lot.

Its a similar argument about making mono tunes for a club and then stereo for people at home. I think the main point is just about trying to understand it all and to care about it, rather than anything else or argue about it.

Don't get it twisted, my whole argument is about the difference between a MP3 and a WAV regardless of where you play it, or what you do with it, I was just trying to point out a few things after constantly being parred off with shit 320 MP3s, and when I question people for a lossless WAV I get told it sounds the same.........

It doesn't sound the same. That was all..

I don't think that where you play the music really matters - You don't make one track for a club and one for someones home sound system, I certainly don't. If you focus on your music for just the club, then what about people listening to music on high end systems at home?

It's a good thing that they roll off so they don't damage peoples ears.
What i'm saying is the difference in the the frequency span of an MP3 to a WAV and how MP3 degrades the quality. As of 12khz up to roll off point of say 16 / 18 it is false digital information on a MP3 as it's been dithered to such a low quality below a false 16 bit.

Infrabass goes down to 30hz with horns to 20hz. Res2 50 hz and Res4 is 50hz. A close friend designed the c-cap module in funktion one amplifiers / speakers the whole lot.

Its a similar argument about making mono tunes for a club and then stereo for people at home. I think the main point is just about trying to understand it all and to care about it, rather than anything else or argue about it.

Don't get it twisted, my whole argument is about the difference between a MP3 and a WAV regardless of where you play it, or what you do with it, I was just trying to point out a few things after constantly being parred off with shit 320 MP3s, and when I question people for a lossless WAV I get told it sounds the same.........

It doesn't sound the same. That was all..

think you missed my point a little, of course people don't make music targeted at different systems nor should they. It was just your point about aliasing that i was curious about, i'm not sure most people notice the difference because of where they listen, if people are fed music on club systems that only reach 18-19k would they notice? i have a pair of rokit 8s at home that reach up to 20khz, i'm not 100% i'd be able to tell the difference if i'm honest with you. Saying that though i still pay the extra for wavs because i like knowing i have the best sounding version

I agree with you. Most people don't notice, and as I wrote in the article, if you play music on an ipod this won't really apply to you.

What the point i'm trying to make, (which is very difficult) is that even if the vibration is still there, you may not physically hear it, but you can still feel it.

This may help : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental

A low pitch (also known as the pitch of the missing fundamental or virtual pitch) can sometimes be heard when there is no apparent source or component of that frequency. This perception is due to the brain interpreting repetition patterns that are present.

Most people won't know what they are hearing, but that doesn't mean we have to treat people like idiots imo.

It's also worth pointing out with the introduction now of smart TVs, and higher quality speakers on phones, the general public are choosing options with higher quality audio systems. Some people across the world don't have the luxury of dnb nights every weekend, so they can only listen at home,

This bit as well : It is now widely accepted that the brain processes the information present in the overtones to calculate the fundamental frequency. The precise way in which it does so is still a matter of debate, but the processing seems to be based on an autocorrelation involving the timing of neural impulses in the auditory nerve.

It makes me happy that people like you go that little bit of an extra mile and pay attention to be honest, so props to you. I just hope more people start doing so too. :)

what makes me laugh on the discussion of sound quality on a club system or home system is that producers put every minute piece of the tune under the microscope to make sure they get the perfect sound , honing there skills and producing the best work they possibly can so that some idiot mc can shout over the top of it with his "mugg me granny at the bustop lyrics" and to play to ravers fucked of there face on A class substances.

Granted were all having a great time but as long as a tune does its job i dont think it matters that much as long as the quality is not really really shit end rips off the internet. I remember the days of playing my crackly hammered vinyls and dubplates to death and the partys were still banging, i still enjoyed my tunes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom