NEEDLES

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by emy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. emy

emy Member

I bet there are lots of topics like this but I'm just asking...

I'm just looking at what to upgrade to and what's the difference between Ortofon concorde pro S/ DJ S etc or if anyone recomends something from another brand.

2. emy

emy Member

I just remembered...when I put my old Numark head cartriges on my Technics, they were not heavy enough and even with the weight at the heaviest the needle wouldn't rest down for some reason. I'm hoping I don't have dodgy decks but do ortofons come quite heavy?

3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

No Ortofones are light as fuck. On Technics you can turn the weight around to solve this problem, might be worth giving it a go on yours.

The difference between the needles is all down to specifications;

http://www.ortofon-dj.com/products/cartridges

4. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

I just bought some Ortofon Pros after using Shure M445s (I think that's what they were) and I'm really happy with em'. Things sound a bit cleaner in my opinion. Did u have some really light Numarks? Were they carts that needed the extra weight at the end of the tone arm? I think If they are between 10-13 grams your supposed to attachted that extra weight.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. emy

emy Member

I don't remember getting extra weights with the Numarks. I have Stanton ones which I got with my second hand decks, I have actually gone and weighed them and they weigh slightly less than what Ortofons say they are, which is 0.02kg so hopefully I should be ok

6. DJ Spliff

There was a recent thread about new needles. A lot of the posts came down to either Ortofons or White Labels I believe.

7. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

I recommend Shure Whitelabels. Had my pair over year now and no problems.

8. emy

emy Member

Are Ortofons that bad for Cue burn? I've been reading up on the net about it.

I look so much into things before I buy that's my problem but at least I'm learning about things

9. DJ Spliff

Yeah, It's definitly a good idea to research before you buy anything turntable related. Gotta make sure you're going to be happy with it. As far as "que burn" on the Ortofons, I can't say I've heard that before.

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Cue burn is negligable imo, you'll only notice that after months and months of rinsing the same tune.

11. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Yeah and it happens in the part of the tune noone hears in the mix so doesn't really matter

12. DJ Spliff

What exactly does it sound like when you burn out part of a record?

13. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

Sounds like shit, like a crakling EQ with lots of fuzz. Similar to when you got a dust bunny on your needle.

And i have heard horror stories about Ortofons. (Now this is what i heard so don't crucify me if you are a hard core ortofon fan.) The 4-pin contacts on the end of the headshell are a slight bit longer than the shure ones - why you ask. Its so you are stuck using ortofons. Once the contacts are pushed in on the inside of your tone arm nothing will sound as good.

14. dario3004

dario3004 New Member

I'm a noob, and the only needle that I've ever used is Stanton 500.
    So I ask you, if it's worth buying good needles for pure DJing (no heavy scratch) or the difference between good and decent needles are slightly noticeable

15. emy

emy Member

Not bought them yet, been ill, no mixing :(

Actually wondering about the Shure M44-7 on Technics headshell. They are the same price as ortofons and say they have low record wear but look like they are more for scratch DJs and I only want them for mixing...What do you think?

I am also looking at the Stanton trackmaster which are more expensive than the Shures, Or the Discmaster which work out at 110 a pair (about the same price as the Shures actually!) I don't want to spend much more than 100

16. DJ Spliff

I've heard good thing sabout the shure M-447s. The other ones I'm not sure about. Not sure if you've done it before but keep in mind mounting the cartridges to the headshell is a pain in the ass. (Or I think it is anyway)

17. fevezz

fevezz nom nom nom nom!

the shure's might actually wear your records out faster. the larger spherical tip made for scratching will cause that.

18. emy

emy Member

19. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

its because they are a round stylus, you can also mount the at an angle on your headshells to get the effect if a straight tone arm.

20. fevezz

fevezz nom nom nom nom!

um, are you a turntablist, or a dj? they mean that if you're a turntablist, you really can't go wrong w/ the m44's, but if you're just mixing, i think you should go for something else. concorde shaped cartridges' sleek design is also more helpful for placement when mixing, etc.