DJ Vs Producer

i'd say once you've made a little headway with your tunes. Getting a few DJ gigs here and there would probably propell you into the general spotlight a bit quicker

I made a thread like this awhile ago most dj's have produced not many dj's havnt these days. I think we found 1 dj who hasnt produced and is B!G in the scene.

I don't think you necessarily have to produce, but you can't become big in the scene 'just' by djing. I'm talking running labels, nights or generally working on the back end of things to get contacts and bookings. But production's definitely a much more common route.

To be honest I think it's a sad state of affairs where you almost have to produce to get anywhere in djing, as I'd go as far as to say that some really passionate djs who are amazing at what they do get left out because of it. Also, it means dj sets become biased to the producers tunes rather than having the original ethos of djing before it was about playing the biggest tunes with the tightest beat matching, but was about being a true pioneer of music and introducing people to new stuff. I much prefer the hip hop djing ethic of crate digging and not caring how old something is, rather than this relentless pressure in d&b to play all the latest dubs/white labels.

if you cant play you shouldnt be doing it. we were offered our first booking without even having an idea of how to play it aswell, but we know we can mix and got quite some time left still to plan something.. but come on, its as i said. everyone is able to buy some releases and mix them together, but thats not what people wanna hear. they want to hear new dubs, their fav producer and most loved tunes..

See personally I'd rather hear a dj just play whatever the fuck he likes, as long as he's got amazing taste and knowledge of music obviously, and not care if I've heard it or not or how old it is, a banger's still a banger. Obviously it's nice to blend in some crowd pleasers but it saddens me that I hear dj sets where I've heard every tune before.

not exactly big in my book tho.

and burial is not a valid example here imo. hes not really making "dance" music.

so do you think subfocus or c&s would be were they are without having djed? dont think so...

What do you mean not big in your book? You dont like Q project?

Well Im stuffed

I just want to DJ

Think of all the hours it takes to produce music. Now think of all those hours put into DJing and testing mixes of tunes out and perfecting mixing

Some are lucky and can do both, Im just going to give DJing a go and be a music producer when I am in my 40s and 50s etc and would prefer to stay in with a cup of tea :)

Last edited:

Except he's now producing, so it makes it a little redundant

20 years ago there was a difference between producers and dj's and each had their job; I think that was a good thing having full time djs and full time producers. However now that all the money is in djing if a producer wants to make enough money to live on his music, inevitably he/she will have to dj (in dnb)

Personally I disagree with the producer/djs who are neither here not there.

What do you mean not big in your book? You dont like Q project?

not many tunes apart from maybe ask not vip that i actually rate.

apart from that you could go to a rave here and ask people who q project is and nobody would know. i meant hes not as big as to pull in a crowd. at least not over here, even if he djed.. so imo he could be far more popular if he djed..

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Personally I disagree with the producer/djs who are neither here not there.

what do you mean by that? are you saying youre shit? or people shouldnt be learning / at least trying to learn both?

Well Im stuffed

I just want to DJ

Think of all the hours it takes to produce music. Now think of all those hours put into DJing and testing mixes of tunes out and perfecting mixing

Some are lucky and can do both, Im just going to give DJing a go and be a music producer when I am in my 40s and 50s etc and cant would prefer to stay in with a cup of tea :)

Your best bet to make it as a dj is to enter every big competition, an just play out as much as possible.

apart from that you could go to a rave here and ask people who q project is and nobody would know. i meant hes not as big as to pull in a crowd. at least not over here, even if he djed.. so imo he could be far more popular if he djed..

You do realize he's one half of Total Science, right?

See personally I'd rather hear a dj just play whatever the fuck he likes, as long as he's got amazing taste and knowledge of music obviously, and not care if I've heard it or not or how old it is, a banger's still a banger. Obviously it's nice to blend in some crowd pleasers but it saddens me that I hear dj sets where I've heard every tune before.

andy c is shit then?

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

You do realize he's one half of Total Science, right?

yeah, i do realize. and as i said, you cant deny he wrote some good tunes, especially with the total science moniker, dont think i own more than 1 tune by both aliases tho..
was kinda like before my time i guess, and as i said, never seen them live. so imo they arent big anymore. maybe they were, but now..?

oh and that comment "nobody would know them here" applies to total science aswell...

edit: and before anyone gets me wrong again - most of the times, if not everytime, i went to see andy c i knew every tune he played (most possibly because im lurking here to much, but nevertheless..)

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

what do you mean by that? are you saying youre shit? or people shouldnt be learning / at least trying to learn both?

There's nothing wrong with trying or learning both. But in my view I'd rather see amazing only-producers and amazing-only djs instead of a meh-producer AND Dj.

Total Science are Wicked!

Some of the first vinyl I bought was by them, there were loads of white labels in the shop with black marker writing on, got some wicked tunes by them :)

There's nothing wrong with trying or learning both. But in my view I'd rather see amazing only-producers and amazing-only djs instead of a meh-producer AND Dj.

its the consumers and promoters choice in the end if they see/book actually talented guys or the next jump up copy-cat.. i know what most people would go for tho.

Total Science are Wicked!

not saying they arent, just saying they arent as big anymore.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

not saying they arent, just saying they arent as big anymore.

disclaimer: at least over here. and i wanted to say they arent as big anymore probably due to their lack of dj-sets.

Most people who go from producer to DJ, suck as DJ's (Mistabishi anyone?)

Aggreed. But if (and that's a big if) he had actually taken the time out to practice and actually manage to work them CDJs he'd probably be the poster boy for hospital now. Instead we got Netsky.

Sub Focus done it. Not that i necessarily enjoy what he does these days, but it works.

Aggreed. But if (and that's a big if) he had actually taken the time out to practice and actually manage to work them CDJs he'd probably be the poster boy for hospital now. Instead we got Netsky.

Sub Focus done it. Not that i necessarily enjoy what he does these days, but it works.

Cyantific as an example?

Back
Top Bottom