DJ Vs Producer

andy c is shit then?

What? No. How dyou manage to reach that conclusion from my post :S

Firstly: The difference between what 'I'd prefer to hear' and someone being shit is pretty fucking big.

Secondly: I'm sure he knows plenty of immense tunes that I don't know of, but, like pretty much all djs, he goes to the more well known tunes because it's what the majority of people like and people will enjoy his sets more. And I don't blame him, I do the same sometimes when I play out (I'm not talking just banging Mr Happy in, but even if your playing heady dark tech or whatever there's still the big tunes of the moment). I'm not criticizing an individual dj, but the culture d&b's developed.

Thirdly: He doesn't just play bait tunes that are 'big', he's one of the main influential people making them big. From bringing up Chase and Status and Subfocus, to the stuff he's released that most of us here probably class as more credible, he's definitely one of those pioneers who introduce people to new music that I was talking about.

Fourthly: he does play some pretty old tunes.

Fifthly: Climb out his arsecrack :teeth:

Last edited:
Belgium's got murdock, he's on of the most famous in the belgian dnb scene but he does not produce, wel he has a few numbers with netsky but that's about it. He has his own record label: Radar Records, Became big by just playing the decks, He organizes 2 dnb party's in belgium, Star Warz & Radar Rampage, Star Warz in Ghent, Radar Rampage in Antwerp. It's just he's 34 now, he started out in the 90's probably, a time where you could become famous by being good. But nowadays, you gotta be producing because if you don't have releases your automatically associated with being an amateur. Like i have to play the decks on new year's eve, not one of them on the line-up, and some "Real" (Wannabe's like hell) Dnb ravers are already whining, "The line-up is bad". One said, "Sucky dnb", We don't even play our own music, A released number isn't bad so why is he whining? 'Cause no one of us on the line-up has a release.

Conclusion: You got to release to be Famous

What? No. How dyou manage to reach that conclusion from my post :S

Firstly: The difference between what 'I'd prefer to hear' and someone being shit is pretty fucking big.

Secondly: I'm sure he knows plenty of immense tunes that I don't know of, but, like pretty much all djs, he goes to the more well known tunes because it's what the majority of people like and people will enjoy his sets more. And I don't blame him, I do the same sometimes when I play out (I'm not talking just banging Mr Happy in, but even if your playing heady dark tech or whatever there's still the big tunes of the moment). I'm not criticizing an individual dj, but the culture d&b's developed.

Thirdly: He doesn't just play bait tunes that are 'big', he's one of the main influential people making them big. From bringing up Chase and Status and Subfocus, to the stuff he's released that most of us here probably class as more credible, he's definitely one of those pioneers who introduce people to new music that I was talking about.

Fourthly: he does play some pretty old tunes.

Fifthly: Climb out his arsecrack :teeth:

haha. fair play. wanted to make you say some shit but you didnt. yeah, youre right. hes the one that makes the tunes big, but nonetheless you heard them when you go out to see him ;)

The main reason DJs arent making it is because they dont have unreleased tunes. Its dub culture that makes it like this more than anything.

If youre writing big tunes and getting sent stuff then there is gonna be more demand for you than the record buying public. People go to nights to see peoples selections, not to hear the best beat matched set.

Not saying i agree with it, but thats how i see it (along side other issues obviously).

Music = Business = Money

Big Producers will make more money if they DJ and DJs who make it big will start producing music and sell to make money

So it makes logical business sense for DJs to start producing music, and collaborating with producers. Also on the other side for the producers to learn to DJ so they can play their music out

What is the point in producing amazing tunes if you can't DJ them out? eg Netsky- people go to his gigs and they love his music and expect to hear that type of music at the gig

The debate has concluded that it makes sense to do both!

(And Ive probably just examined it in too much detail)

andy c is shit then?

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

yeah, i do realize. and as i said, you cant deny he wrote some good tunes, especially with the total science moniker, dont think i own more than 1 tune by both aliases tho..
was kinda like before my time i guess, and as i said, never seen them live. so imo they arent big anymore. maybe they were, but now..?
oh and that comment "nobody would know them here" applies to total science aswell...

edit: and before anyone gets me wrong again - most of the times, if not everytime, i went to see andy c i knew every tune he played (most possibly because im lurking here to much, but nevertheless..)

Sounding like you didnt know that, anyway the point I was saying is that he is a producer that doesnt play out much. And as for you comment of not digging him, I would like to point out that he is one of the most prolific producers in dnb, regardless of weather the only tune you like is ask not vip.....as for still not being big.......Gangsta....recent remix of squash by spy....CIA label, the deep kut label.....think you need education mate!

Last edited:
its the consumers and promoters choice in the end if they see/book actually talented guys or the next jump up copy-cat.. i know what most people would go for tho.

not saying they arent, just saying they arent as big anymore.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

disclaimer: at least over here. and i wanted to say they arent as big anymore probably due to their lack of dj-sets.

they r still releasing massive tunes at, legion, bittersweet etc. and smithy/spinback is a wicked DJ

Music = Business = Money

Big Producers will make more money if they DJ and DJs who make it big will start producing music and sell to make money

So it makes logical business sense for DJs to start producing music, and collaborating with producers. Also on the other side for the producers to learn to DJ so they can play their music out

What is the point in producing amazing tunes if you can't DJ them out? eg Netsky- people go to his gigs and they love his music and expect to hear that type of music at the gig

most valid points thus far raised (*) at the end of the day, a rave is a gig... if you went to a kings of leon concert and they played arctive monkeys tunes you would be like wtf?! so why does this not apply to dj's, they are performing their 'sound'?

if the question is 'does being a producer help you get noticed' then yes, it does...

* 'big' is opinion at the end of the day! big could mean loads of bookings to play out, big could mean a fat bank account, big could mean well known amongst the heads, big could mean being known by the general populace

label bosses can make it big without producing but they usually end up writing tracks as well... kasra.. friction...

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

and total science are making bangers right now, fresh music

label bosses can make it big without producing but they usually end up writing tracks as well... kasra.. friction...

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

and total science are making bangers right now, fresh music

this im just starting off on, but i refuse to let my label become one of those labels that just release dog!

most valid points thus far raised (*) at the end of the day, a rave is a gig... if you went to a kings of leon concert and they played arctive monkeys tunes you would be like wtf?! so why does this not apply to dj's, they are performing their 'sound'?

A rave is not the same as a gig. Drum and bass (and dance music as a whole has a completely different culture.

a rave is a gig for every electronic act.

or would you say fatboy slim rocking the 1210s is a gig? and then, wheres the difference between him playing and andy c?

that was stupid ^^^^

A rave is not the same as a gig. Drum and bass (and dance music as a whole has a completely different culture.

Depends on your own interpretation of the word gig tbh. A gig just loosely refers to a musical performance and therefore a rave can still be classed as a gig. If a DJ gets a booking they would say they have a gig, and if you go and see your favourite band live, you are going to a gig.

1 word = tool

that is what you are sir, now jog on.

mr freek sir i do love your stuff atm, been droppin it on my radio slot and in my live sets, wake up (i think its called that) is going down a treat! big ups!

Back
Top Bottom