DnB Any one still buying dnb on vinyl?

I never buy it anymore - realised once you take a step back and realise you have an IKEA expidet shelf full of the fuckers it stresses you out when you think of what your going to do with it all.

Personally I think back on all the tunes I have brought which I have never even put on a turntable or even only played once or twice and its a proper waste of money. I would sell it if I could be arsed.

Personally I think back on all the tunes I have brought which I have never even put on a turntable or even only played once or twice and its a proper waste of money. I would sell it if I could be arsed.
I'm guilty of buying records that I've barely listened to since I bought them but I don't regret it

I never buy it anymore - realised once you take a step back and realise you have an IKEA expidet shelf full of the fuckers it stresses you out when you think of what your going to do with it all.

This is me all over Tonay.
I have stacks of records that have had a few plays and never seen the light of day again. As you say storing them is a pain, got the best part of 500+ in my old mans loft and 500ish in boxes and crates next to my turntables.

However I love my collection and do not regret a single penny spent (minus the jump up in my early years :teeth:)

I only order vinyl online if I know i'll be playing the tune alot, or if it doesn't come with those huge shipping costs.
But when going to vinyl shops, I some times let myself go a little bit :p

Vinyl and only vinyl!

It's annoying missing out on a fair few tunes but it's a small price to pay to not be a sellout and destroy the scene ;)

:banllama:

I don't think if Vinyl went away it would destroy the scene.

When was the last time you went to a club and saw someone mixing on technics?! not including Andy C, Marky and the likes.

Bought vinyl regularly from around 1982 to March 2013 - then switched to Serato. Good to have less weight to carry around, and more choice of tune than what's in the box, should it be needed - and moving all my records / shelving from one place to another is a pain.

Digital is the natural evolution - it took me a while but not looked back. I like being able to play Serato with as few bells and whistles as possible, as true to vinyl as possible - except for seeing the BPM and being able to cue up more quickly.

Went digi using serato
hated it.
lost all passion for mixing... shouldn't matter right? its just a format its the music that counts. Well I guess I'm a vinyl junkie first and a dnb head second.
Serato is great but nothing beats that feeling of getting a record from a shop or in the post.
The tangible product, the smell fresh out the sleeve, that noise when you place it on the platter, the needle drop and first crackle. Nothing like it.
It has more worth to me when you've paid through the nose for one tune. Spending 79p on a tune, adding it to whatever programme you use, sorting it, labelling it, putting in mixed it key and then playing it once and forgetting its existence just didn't do it for me.

not be a sellout and destroy the scene ;)

That's a pretty old fashioned way of thinking. As binar menitioned before, digital is the natural evolution, and everyone knows that it did NOT destroy the scene.
I switched to digital in 2011 due to the obvious reasons (needs too much space, pay for 4+ tunes and only like/play one, high weight when carried to a club....)
However I still enjoy playing it from time to time and would never consider selling my collection (I also buy 4-5 vinyl only releases a year). We are doing a vinyl only night once or twice a year and it's a lot of fun for both the djs and the audience.
But for regular gigs I don't wanna miss the advantages that digital offers, those days are over for me.

Yeah from time to time I still have my collection too. I can't take people that don't use/love vinyl seriously

The tangible product, the smell fresh out the sleeve, that noise when you place it on the platter, the needle drop and first crackle. Nothing like it. It has more worth to me when you've paid through the nose for one tune. Spending 79p on a tune, adding it to whatever programme you use, sorting it, labelling it, putting in mixed it key and then playing it once and forgetting its existence just didn't do it for me.
this all day

I was just pulling a few plonkers...

Thought about Seratto loads of times but just know that it would be the slippery slope for me :(

Went digi using serato
hated it.
lost all passion for mixing... shouldn't matter right? its just a format its the music that counts. Well I guess I'm a vinyl junkie first and a dnb head second.
Serato is great but nothing beats that feeling of getting a record from a shop or in the post.
The tangible product, the smell fresh out the sleeve, that noise when you place it on the platter, the needle drop and first crackle. Nothing like it.
It has more worth to me when you've paid through the nose for one tune. Spending 79p on a tune, adding it to whatever programme you use, sorting it, labelling it, putting in mixed it key and then playing it once and forgetting its existence just didn't do it for me.
This!!:2thumbs:

I still buy vinyl pretty regularly. 12" single track per side is preferred, but I did finally give in and start playing out plates with multiple tracks per side. Main gripe is its more of a bugger while you're in the mix as you've gotta find the tune on the record and adjust the gain, but if its been properly mastered usually it'll still sound pretty nice. Nothing beats a 12" single though. I definitely feel like buying vinyl contributes a bit to quality control as well, as you've got to really pick and choose what you want to spend your money on.

I don't think if Vinyl went away it would destroy the scene.

When was the last time you went to a club and saw someone mixing on technics?! not including Andy C, Marky and the likes.
Most reputable techno events, dnb is the 192 MP3 of music

not be a sellout and destroy the scene ;)

I agree with this (to a point).

Pre-digital options for DJ'ing:
DJ's (not producers) traveled the world, spreading the art and craft of the music. Producers didn't need to tour DJ'ing, as some releases sold THOUSANDS of copies of the record (and they, theoretically, got paid well for their efforts).

Post-digital options for DJ'ing:
Producers have to tour to make money from their music (as a far smaller percentage of people actually buy it, even though it is cheaper than ever before), so go around the world instead of a lot of the DJ's. The steady decline of the quality of DJ'ing has been blatant because of this. There are obviously tonnes of examples of producers who can smash it on the decks, and have been for years. But there is also a wealth of extremely average DJ's who are charging good money to promoters due to their 'name', not their DJing/performance ability. Crowds suffer because of this.

Most of my DJ friends (well, all but two or 3) have switched to digital. Some of them can't understand why I am sticking to lugging records around, dealing with tech issues at gigs, etc.

"Its so much easier" on CDJ's/digital they say.

And that's the problem.
Its so easy now, that people who have literally downloaded some music one day, can learn to mash it together and play their favourite bangers in a club the next. I don't want to stand up and be compared to them. After years of investment, time, pining over tunes I had to hunt down, sacrifices, I don't want to be just another USBJ. I want to do something that most of them can't/won't/aren't passionate enough to do - that is, buy and play records that reflect my taste in music.

It used to be a case of looking in someones crate and you could tell what style they had. There were the rare cuts that you missed out on, the promo's that you slept on so had to wait another month or two for general release for. It was far more interesting.
The art is being lost.

I played tunes at friends parties for THREE YEARS over here before I got the chance to play in a club. Now people who start mixing couldn't handle it if they aren't in a club within six months.

end of yet another mindless rant/

Back
Top Bottom