What Production Software Do You Use?

Honestly, Nacon, i'm not really open minded about you after reading you around the forum. Very proud of yourself and stuff...
You close me ever more now. I'm just giving MY advice i don't say it's the only one answer. (and this position is clear in the phrase that i used in my first post). Btw i tried FL before sying that (a long time ago).
In short, i'm open minded and ready to change my mind as soon as somebody give me some argument for that. Saying "Wrong" "No" or being a twat trying to be ironic just sounds stupid to me.
Btw like i said 80 to 90% of producers use Cubase/logic...That means that 10 to 20% use others daws. right?
Btw again, Spor is one of my top ten producers and the fact that he rox with FL is -kind of- an argument.

To finish, i'll say that shortcuts can make you ignore some important facts that you would have learned by taking the "5 mins " you are speaking of. And that when you know your tools everything is a second matter nothing take me 5 min.

You need to chill out dude.

Yeah but how can you give your opinion about FL Studio when you have tried it a long time ago, the software changes troughout the years man.
It is way more professional now.

Ontopic: I work mainly in Reason now, before that I was using FL Studio.
I still use FL Studio for adding the last FX sounds like upsweeps and downsweeps because I can do that better in FL than in Reason.
Next to that I think FL Studio handles my vocals way easier than Reason.
Cutting samples and stuff I also do in Reason or Adobe Soundbooth.
My mastering usually is done with a standalone of Izotope Ozone or T-Racks.

Yeah but how can you give your opinion about FL Studio when you have tried it a long time ago, the software changes troughout the years man.
It is way more professional now.

Yep, didn't think it would evolve so much, FL was aiming at a typic population.
And it was great at that. Was perfect not to disgust beginners.
Btw...now i will know that it has improved. And maybe will i try it again.

cheers

Edit: would be very interested in knowing how a daws can be "better at making sweeps"? (serious question)

Last edited:
I use reason for all my beat making, i sometimes may use malstrom to create some basses but its very rare.
I use Cubase for sequencing, arrangement & mixdowns.
I use a combination of Z3TA+, Albino, Predator & Blue for my basses.
I do use a lot of vst fx but ill keep them secret, as they are my main weapon for producing :D

FX chains change have been implemented in cubase 5. Drag and drop, one click. Beat. :p

Actually in FL you can change the order by just scrolling the mouse wheel, so there's no clicking at all! BEAT :P

Built in synth kind of sux in cubase but i havent tried FL ones.

This is true in FL as well. The synths are nothing much, but they do work well as workhorse material.

Time stretching etc are simple in cubase and fit to tempo... i mean time stretch, put a click and use your ears :p
Ad an audio track: right click=>add audio track. =2 clicks....

This is where FL lacks some ballz. It's so much a midi tool that audio editing is made very hard with it. It's gotten better with every version, but it's still far away from the ease like I've gotten used to with Reaper. Havent done much with Cubase, let alone Logic.

Honestly, Nacon, i'm not really open minded about you after reading you around the forum. Very proud of yourself and stuff...
You close me ever more now. I'm just giving MY advice i don't say it's the only one answer. (and this position is clear in the phrase that i used in my first post). Btw i tried FL before sying that (a long time ago).
In short, i'm open minded and ready to change my mind as soon as somebody give me some argument for that. Saying "Wrong" "No" or being a twat trying to be ironic just sounds stupid to me.
Btw like i said 80 to 90% of producers use Cubase/logic...That means that 10 to 20% use others daws. right?
Btw again, Spor is one of my top ten producers and the fact that he rox with FL is -kind of- an argument.

To finish, i'll say that shortcuts can make you ignore some important facts that you would have learned by taking the "5 mins " you are speaking of. And that when you know your tools everything is a second matter nothing take me 5 min.

You need to chill out dude.

I like FL very much, but i'm not gonna say it's uber 'cause i didn't try another DAW yet ;p, Have Trials of some DAW's on my pc but just cba ;p

Ive never used fl, however i do believe its more about how you use the tools and not nessesarily the tools you use. I know of one producer who has vinyl releases that were made using fruity loops.

nah it def aint spor

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

dont really think its my place to say exactly who it is tbh, but they told me a few years ago that they made their tunes on fl. that was when they had 4 tunes out on vinyl. got quite a few more tunes out now but not sure if they've changed daws or not.

I'm with Freek on this. If your hitting a nail, it doesn't really matter what type of hammer you use, as long as the job gets done.

I've stated before I found FL/Reaper hard programs to get my head around, but found Ableton remarkably easy (the basics anyway). That said, I've heard tracks made in all 3 programs and they all can sound amazing. Bottom line is, I guess, to get really good at your DAW no matter what it is.

thats the bottom line and on this forum we pretty much all agree, but the discussion rages on all over with the same old hackneyed totally false statements about sound engines and my-mate-is-mastering-engineer-black-belt and wont touch tunes made in flp or ableton etc. its fucking stupid but on the bright side its excellent trolling material if youre a sad sad person. which i am, quite often.

Touchy subject.
But to be honest with you, a couple of years ago i was jumping from Cubase to reason to FL Studio back and forth trying to see which was "better". I could never really decide which was better as such and thought fuck it, i'm just gonna spend the next how ever many years sat behind cubase. Since then my knoledge of cubase has expanded dramaticly, from not knowing how to make it make sound to what i now know today.
I like cubase, i get on with it but i'm still not going to shut out other DAW's, there all good in there own right. I'ts really not what you use, its if you know what your doing with it, if you know what your aiming for but you don't know how to make it, its not gonna make any diffrence what you use to create it.

In my opinion It's all down to, patience (your gonna come up with alot of crap buts its part of learning), effort, plugins and vst effects, using correct effects and using them properly will show a remarkable diffrence on your production.

anyways, still to this day ill load up reason if i wanna make a sick reece bass or load up fruity if i feel like making some crazy beats, but in the end, wht ever i made will end up back in cubase for processing.

I'd like to add, im not an expert, i don't totally know what im talking about...this is just my experience. and like someone else has said, the top producers out there, there all using cubase or logic, some times rewired with another daw such as fl studio. I belive it is best to get to grip with an advanced system such as logic or cubase, once you know what your doing with one of these, things like reason and fl kinda come to you.

Infact, just read my signiture, theres your answer.

Last edited:
Hey, I started on Reason, but now I mainly use Ableton w/ VSTs - Massive, Predator, Albino 3 and another weird thing called Zebra, which I've not worked out how to use properly yet. I also compiled a bunch of free-to-download VSTs - some of which were rubbish, though one - 'Alienoctis' - has served me well. I also use Guitar Rig (2) for its crazy effects - which seem to work quite well on the upper freq layers of my bass sounds. For strings etc I use Edirol Orchestral, though I have a mate who uses Garritan Personal Orchestra, and the strings are much better on there.

Last edited:
Ive never used fl, however i do believe its more about how you use the tools and not nessesarily the tools you use. I know of one producer who has vinyl releases that were made using fruity loops.

indeed... a shoddy workman blames his tools!

and fyi, ableton live and the built in plugins is pretty much all i use... http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix and here are the results (my best tracks arent available on there though, labels and all dat!)

i use a few random plug ins like tape delay and dub siren (both from the same guy)

Back
Top Bottom