What is the single most important element in a sample pack?

Discussion in 'Production' started by DYSRUPT, Jul 23, 2015.

?

What is the most important element to you in a sample pack?

1. single note basses

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. processed bass loops

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. processed bass stab fx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. fx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. atmospheres

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. drum loops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. single drum hits

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  8. single note synths

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. synth loops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. synth stab fx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Foleys

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

I'm contributing to a new sample site called Sample Grab and need to get out a few more sounds before the first release, August 1st.

Ive been on dnbforum for a while now and respect and value the opinion of all of the artists on here, so im just throwing this poll on here to see what you feel is most important in a sample pack (whether you use them or not)

2. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

If i could vote twice i would of voted for drum loops aswell, always taking shuffles or parts out of them.

DYSRUPT likes this.
  3. Solace

Solace Active Member

Hmm this is hard. But if I have to pick like a top, this would be it (no particular order): Single note and bass loops. Atmospheres (just not enough people include these) and drum hits. You can never go wrong with more drum hits (or loops)

4. Meiosis

Meiosis Member

single note bass,, let's fuck about :D

5. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

Definitely like most other people here the drum hits. It's the rare material where you can build your stuff from.

Mason John and DYSRUPT like this.
  6. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I only ever use drum hits but I fucking hate it when sample packs use the same kick layered with a different hi hat. Just give me a raw kick.

DYSRUPT likes this.
  7. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

The only thing I'm really looking for these days is vocals, atmospheres/drones and sound fx.
    After producing for a lot of years I have a nice selection of drums, and I prefer to do my own basses and synths (or use presets from synths instead of samples).

The question is who's buying these packs, and what do they need?
    Are you selling to wannabe dnb producers, people writing production music (tv, film, games, commercials etc..) or semi pro to pro dnb producers?

8. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

thanks.
    i know the market is smaller, but It's geared toward semi pro level dnb and dubstep producers. I'd rather make stuff that has multiple uses or sounds that HAVEN'T been used in every other track. of course there's the reeses, resonant harnonic subs and other stuff that are always prevalent.

9. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

I definitely wouldnt say drum hits, I'm very happy with the samples I have and the sounds I can get from them. I would say atmospheres mainly, but also synth stabs and drumloops are very important .

DYSRUPT likes this.
  10. Neurogrind

Neurogrind Member

atm i can't get enough wavetables - just 3 seconds of some neuro movement to load into synths like serum.
    i have a giant sample lib full of atmos, drums, foley and regarding bass i prefer to make my own.
    when you want to do atmos you really need something special imo cuz everything else is oversaturated.

DYSRUPT likes this.
  11. Mason John

Mason John 21st Junta

It's between atmospheres/pads and fx for me. I'm pretty satistfied with the breaks I have and the drum hits in my collection; same with the basses.

But some of the more complex atmos and FXs require multi-dozen FM synths I don't have access to, and for that reason alone good samples in those categories are nice to have just to spice up a track.

DYSRUPT likes this.
  12. Quotec

Quotec Active Member

For me it would be probably FX. Although I still struggle with synthesizing amazing basses I still manage to somehow make basses work in the end. Atmospheres being mentioned a lot here are a great thing to have too but I'd rather try to design my own because oftentimes samples do not fit with the groove and feel of a track you are making. Fx are more universal in this regard. A year ago I would vote for drums tho (beginners struggle a lot with them) but as I learned more about sampling it isn't much of a trouble right now - the attention has shifted towards micro aspects of a track and designing your own samples.

13. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

Well. . . . .The site is now in full swing. I didnt get to work on drum hits too much before having to send out samples, but, judging by the response, ill be working on a lot of atmospheres and drum hits for next month.

14. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Have fun :teeth: