What is the single most important element in a sample pack?

What is the most important element to you in a sample pack?

• single note basses

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • processed bass loops

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • processed bass stab fx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fx

• atmospheres

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • drum loops

• single drum hits

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • single note synths

• synth loops

• synth stab fx

• Foleys

• Total voters

DYSRUPT

I'm contributing to a new sample site called Sample Grab and need to get out a few more sounds before the first release, August 1st.

Ive been on dnbforum for a while now and respect and value the opinion of all of the artists on here, so im just throwing this poll on here to see what you feel is most important in a sample pack (whether you use them or not)

Hmm this is hard. But if I have to pick like a top, this would be it (no particular order): Single note and bass loops. Atmospheres (just not enough people include these) and drum hits. You can never go wrong with more drum hits (or loops)

The only thing I'm really looking for these days is vocals, atmospheres/drones and sound fx.
After producing for a lot of years I have a nice selection of drums, and I prefer to do my own basses and synths (or use presets from synths instead of samples).

The question is who's buying these packs, and what do they need?
Are you selling to wannabe dnb producers, people writing production music (tv, film, games, commercials etc..) or semi pro to pro dnb producers?

The only thing I'm really looking for these days is vocals, atmospheres/drones and sound fx.
After producing for a lot of years I have a nice selection of drums, and I prefer to do my own basses and synths (or use presets from synths instead of samples).

The question is who's buying these packs, and what do they need?
Are you selling to wannabe dnb producers, people writing production music (tv, film, games, commercials etc..) or semi pro to pro dnb producers?

thanks.
i know the market is smaller, but It's geared toward semi pro level dnb and dubstep producers. I'd rather make stuff that has multiple uses or sounds that HAVEN'T been used in every other track. of course there's the reeses, resonant harnonic subs and other stuff that are always prevalent.

I definitely wouldnt say drum hits, I'm very happy with the samples I have and the sounds I can get from them. I would say atmospheres mainly, but also synth stabs and drumloops are very important .

atm i can't get enough wavetables - just 3 seconds of some neuro movement to load into synths like serum.
i have a giant sample lib full of atmos, drums, foley and regarding bass i prefer to make my own.
when you want to do atmos you really need something special imo cuz everything else is oversaturated.

It's between atmospheres/pads and fx for me. I'm pretty satistfied with the breaks I have and the drum hits in my collection; same with the basses.

But some of the more complex atmos and FXs require multi-dozen FM synths I don't have access to, and for that reason alone good samples in those categories are nice to have just to spice up a track.

For me it would be probably FX. Although I still struggle with synthesizing amazing basses I still manage to somehow make basses work in the end. Atmospheres being mentioned a lot here are a great thing to have too but I'd rather try to design my own because oftentimes samples do not fit with the groove and feel of a track you are making. Fx are more universal in this regard. A year ago I would vote for drums tho (beginners struggle a lot with them) but as I learned more about sampling it isn't much of a trouble right now - the attention has shifted towards micro aspects of a track and designing your own samples.

Well. . . . .The site is now in full swing. I didnt get to work on drum hits too much before having to send out samples, but, judging by the response, ill be working on a lot of atmospheres and drum hits for next month.

Back
Top Bottom