Trip Hop

Dj Krush is good

I second that. Dj Krush - Ha Doh, was the song that got me into Trip Hop. Perfect when driving, too. Morcheeba is another.

Last edit: Zero 7...I have that group on repeat on my laptop. I can never enough of listening to them. I would say Seba, but I think it's dnb. Seems like trip hop to me, but I think it's in the DnB category.

Last edited:
Honestly... what's the difference between Downtempo and Trip Hop? The sounds used in Mellow Electronic Breakbeat across various Genres (doesn't matter where the SD is) predate Hip Hop.

first of all, and i think this is the most important thing: not much. secondly the definition of both vary wildly from year to year, point is downtempo is a more realistic name for a genre that will include artists that are 100% different from each other yet on the same vibe. trip hop was a shortlived newly spawned music style from the early 90s which some people said aged badly and i think that is another reason why people prefer to say downtempo.

personally i dont agree that it aged badly, i counted myself as a triphopper amongst my other special exclusive group related titles (like 'skateboarder', 'junglist' and 'weed smoker', its in the nature of a teenager to aspire to be more special than thou) in my youth and i still love the sound.

Aim and DJ Shadow are sraight up Hip Hop if you ask me...

Examples include the Deltron 3030 (album), artists Cannibal Ox, Mos Def, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, and producers Dan The Automator and Madlib.

That from wiki was the biggest load of shit ever

I still can't believe Wiki says that.

It's just chilled Hip Hop to me really.

Hip Hop doesn't have to include rapping!

dj shadows early stuff also works as downtempo and to a certain extent trip hop. the genres converge quite often you see. chilled hip hop is one way to describe the sound albeit not a very well versed or semantically rich one.
the rest of those artists certainly do not seem very trip hop to me but then again i dont know all their projects.

this is just what i think ok, its because when people hear it and dig on the glitchy sound and maybe they didnt even dig on hip hop at all to begin with, they dont approach it like hip hop any more, they approach it from glitch which in the long run will cause a sound worthy of its own genre. mind you im hopped up on ice coffee here

Cant believe no-ones mentioned Portishead.

Some Pj harvey stuff is trip hop too.

Others include:
Morcheeba
Olive
Faithless

Used to be big into this genre when i was 17 or so...but it is pretty non discript, theres a fine line between it and other genres.

Back
Top Bottom