Great Vinyl Debate - DJ Hype - Is Vinyl Dead?

It usually the shitty concordes that are the problem. I had a chat with the engineer at Hidden and he said that concordes are crap to use with Traktor as the connectors are rounded and the contact area is small, which means that the connection is bad at times. Also licking the connectors is a bad idea because it oxidises the metal and the connection becomes faulty an ting.

It's not so much that they are rounded, it's because the contact point on the ortofons are closer together, so that is where it loses the contact.
also i'm not sure why people think that covering the contacts in saliva is going to benefit anything.. i just have to take it off and put it on again, works most of the time.

worth noting that if the decks have dodgy wires, or the needle is an old one the problems get exacerbated a lot.

Dont agree that clubs dont have turntables. Clubs that put on big nights have turntables somewhere end of! Maybe not on view.. But they will be there

Do you play out on wax? It's become an absolute mine field of fuck ups, not just in terms of the decks being knackered (let's face it, we can all get round a dodgy pitch), but in terms of them skipping whenever someone towards the front stomps too hard, being put on the dodgy channels of the mixer etc etc. Just ends up making you look like an idiot.

Do you play out on wax? It's become an absolute mine field of fuck ups, not just in terms of the decks being knackered (let's face it, we can all get round a dodgy pitch), but in terms of them skipping whenever someone towards the front stomps too hard, being put on the dodgy channels of the mixer etc etc. Just ends up making you look like an idiot.

Only at a few select clubs, but yes i mix wax when i play out. The mixer can sometimes be an issue but i have rarely had jumpy needles. Im sure if i played in a bigger selection of clubs it could become an issue though

Wow, all this for nothing?

Wrong argument here. Vinyl is not dead. Nor will it be.

The argument should be: is vinyl mixing is dead?

Answer: yes

DNB vinyl maybe on its way out, but in other genres its on the way up, year by year vinyl sales are up. Sales of single turntables are also up, but I can imagine sales of turntable pairs are down.

DNB vinyl maybe on its way out, but in other genres its on the way up, year by year vinyl sales are up. Sales of single turntables are also up, but I can imagine sales of turntable pairs are down.

I think trance ish are still holding on to vinyl better than dnb are? Maybe because it doesn't involve the cut style mixing requiring the pushing of technology as much? Don't get me wrong I'm not classifying dnb as just cut cut cut I appreciate the long Stretch ins but the genre seems a lot more reliant on using tech to emulate and change sounds so to speak. I only know one mate in that scene tho so I may be barking up the wrong tree correct me if I'm wrong here?

Last edited:

Yeah I agree with this. Vinyl will have a place for the foreseeable future, but as you said, it's only a matter of time before vinyl DJing disappears. Sales might be up, but for independent labels, sales are still falling.

Every year you get more and more people calling themselves DJs who wouldn't have a clue what to do if you put them in front of a pair of Technics. Won't be too long before the majority of DJs playing out regularly don't even know how to mix on turntables.

Turntables have already disappeared from clubs here in Korea, don't think it'll be too long before other places follow suit. Who's gonna keep buying vinyl if you can't even bring it to a gig?

artworks-000043645692-dbcvez-original.jpg

Tiesto

Don't get me wrong Andy still uses vinyl but pre pitched vinyl, laptop, He might aswell be using cdj's :teeth:

ajn1ves3xiekhgj6g.jpg

I remember the last time I saw hype he turned up with his cdj,

Oh and one last thing out of all those saying vinyl is selling well, How many of you actually work in a record shop ?

Oh and one last thing out of all those saying vinyl is selling well, How many of you actually work in a record shop ?
I read an article on it a couple of months back. Vinyl sales are apparently up quite a bit... not in a way that's really relevant to this debate though, cos it's mainstream/major label artists who are shifting the units.

I read an article on it a couple of months back. Vinyl sales are apparently up quite a bit... not in a way that's really relevant to this debate though, cos it's mainstream/major label artists who are shifting the units.

I bet a hundred times more mp3's are being sold tho. Im telling you vinyl's as good as dead, Its just going to be the collectors left soon

Oh I havn't even mentioned the part where some artists only release stuff on mp3 now! I hear you vinyl junkies moaning about it all the time

I bet a hundred times more mp3's are being sold tho. Im telling you vinyl's as good as dead, Its just going to be the collectors left soon

Oh I havn't even mentioned the part where some artists only release stuff on mp3 now! I hear you vinyl junkies moaning about it all the time
Yeah I agree with you, the numbers will be fuck all compared to CD or digital sales. Still, it kind of says that - at least for the time being - vinyl isn't completely obselete. In DJing terms though, it's only a matter of time.

Don't get me wrong Andy still uses vinyl but pre pitched vinyl, laptop, He might aswell be using cdj's :teeth:

maybe your record shop is doing badly because they hire you and you clearly lack a fucking clue or a passion for it...so why exactly are you working there mate?? hate to make things personal but your comments really irritate me in that you don't realise how ridiculous they are...

vinyl is dead mate...surely you should be looking for another job. where exactly do you work anyway dagz?

so many idiots in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Look yeah if you think vinyl is thriving im going to leave you in your own little bubble.

Back
Top Bottom