Cubase Starter Thread (Basics, Tips, Tricks)

woohoo i got cubase 5!!! good times. now im broke though, so ill be spending a lot of time on this mofo.

First question of many to come.

Can i record renoise which is rewired into cubase into audio. I've never used rewire before but i really hope i can do this.

anyone know where i can get a free trial of cubase? it says on their website its free but it still wants you to buy something, i want to try before i buy, aint guna fork out £200 odd quid for sum software and end up carrying on using FL cos i hate it.
Safe

They want you to buy the USB dongle at £25 a pop just for the trial, what a pain in the arse. The software is deffinately worth the money though.

its a bastard aint it, paying £25 for a demo is definately not a free trial. Anyone know where i can get hold of a demo for cubase? even an older version? silly thing is theyve missed out on a customer by doing that, ive heard good things about cubase and would probably end up buying it in the end if i found i liked it. Just dont wana blow £200 on sumin to find i stil prefer fruity, and its not really any different except for layout and way of doing things

A.) Hook up with a psycho floozy and get her to buy you cubase (tested method by me LOL)
B.) say fml and clean after some old people for spare cash to buy Cubase
or
C.) Go try out Ableton instead.

That being said, i just switched back over to ableton from cubase, imo as much as i hate to say it , ableton kills cubase. :/

I thought there was a trial release of Cubase Ai 4 floating around.then again it might be just a cracked version.

Considering they want to charge people for a "free trial" ,might aswell have your cake and flick them off too and grab a cracked copy. :X

Last edited:
9b93jo.png

Man, if you haven't updated your Cubase to 5.5.1 then do so now! Its kicks ass! The updates to MediaBay are worth it alone. :) I've upgraded from 4 and I must say that the transposing algorithm is much much better.
Now when I pitch a kick up its actually usable. Now I'm a happy dnb producer!

d

Can you tell cubase to load plugins from a certain folder like in fruity?

After you create a new project , give it a name choose a location etc....

1. Setup your Arrange page, Mixer window layout, tempo and whatever to however you like.

eg. I set my tempo to 172. Currently this is usual tempo for Nuero(phace, noisia, misanthrop... (they switch it up sometimes).

2. I then add group busses ( drums, bass etc), fx busses and midi tracks and anything else you use regularly.

Me, i add Kontakt 3 and Minimoog.

3. I also set up Voxengo Span on the Master out etc.

4. Now, most importantly, do not start making beats straight away! go to file and select "save template"

Cubase then asks you to save a name for your template.

Call it whatever you want... cubase template v1 etc

and then.... your ready to go.

hope that helps.

can anyone go into detail with each of these points? i cant seem to find a piano roll function in cubase so could i use fl studios and rewire, im being really patient with cubase, if it was a physical object i wouldve thrown it out the window by now. ive had a brief look around and seen loads of tutorials about this program but it still baffles me most of the time.

what are the fundamental workings of cubase? with fl studio ive got all my samples on the left, i just drag my single hits into channels and right click my breaks and put them in the slicer and ust the piano roll to create my beats after ive assigned them to the mixer respectivley ( where is this in cubase? ) ..... pretty much the same with bass etc. i couldnt even work out how to add fx in cubase earlier, i dragged in an audio clip a random mp3, wacked a load of reverb on the master but couldnt hear nothing diffrent?? wtf.

if im running into walls as minor as this, whats it gonna be like to, say..... reverse hits, creating complex busses etc etc. i really wanna get on with it cuz of the extra capabilities but f@ck me at this rate i might have a tune out by 2015 ;/

thanks for all the previous input in this thread. mike

Having some trouble with my cubase atm. Tracks cut out for a second randomly, even on export. Enough for it to be a problem exporting or listening to anything longer than 10 seconds.

CPU isn't even at 10% load and my sound card should be up to it. This never happened before I formatted so it's probably a setting somewhere.

Thought maybe one of you had the same problem and sorted it?

Something that helped me a bit, was that when you use the sends, the audio goes to the fx channel you sent it to, so you can use parallel compression by opening an fx channel and then sending from the group channel with your drums on it and send 0 (all) of it to the compression fx channel and what not and then you can use the fx channel as if it were an audio channel and EQ it and such. What I do to see the levels beter is then make another group called "level drums" and send the wet signal and the original to it so I can mix with that knob, not the two independant ones. Anyone want a video explaining this?

Having some trouble with my cubase atm. Tracks cut out for a second randomly, even on export. Enough for it to be a problem exporting or listening to anything longer than 10 seconds.

CPU isn't even at 10% load and my sound card should be up to it. This never happened before I formatted so it's probably a setting somewhere.

Thought maybe one of you had the same problem and sorted it?

Sorry for bump but this is an ongoing problem for me. Only happens if I have more than 1 track.

Hey ive just converted to Cu base and although im slowly getting it im clueless as to what is going on in this particular scenario so im hopping someone here can shed some light on the matter.

Ok so i am trying to record a midi sequence but instead of the midi notes being arranged in the pattern i play them they are all just being stacked ontop of each other. So when i hit play i here every note ive played all at the same time in one big mess.

Prob the most simple thing in the world but for the life of me i cant find it so please save me from hours of fiddling!

Thanks

Never mind the problem seems to have fixed itself!

Last edited:
does any one know of any Good tutorial video's on how to egt started with this? like how to actually start making a tune. i have worked out how to start a new project but am lost as to what the fuck i need to do to actually make music! i know that sounds really idiotic but i just dont understand the phrases and what i actually need to get started.

I've seen a few people fall at the getting sound coming out of cubase stage.

Here's what normally needs to be done ...

First get your ASIO drivers selected:

Go to the menus at the top, select Devices>Device set up>VST Audio System, in the ASIO Driver box select your ASIO driver.

Then ...

Devises>VST Connections, and select what your input's are.

Basic shit, but with out it Cubase will not make da "WARP WA WARP WARP DUM DUM DA" that you want it to.

:jacko:

Back
Top Bottom