Cubase Starter Thread (Basics, Tips, Tricks)

4 also has Ableton rewire option..i tend to use Cubase with Reason and Ableton rewired then record the audio tracks into cubase to seq/mix....

Here's a few little tips..
1. Stick with it. Noisia, Phace, Kryptic Minds, etc use cubase/nuendo.
So if its good enough for them it'll be good
enough for you!

2. Get to know your keycommands. This means work out
what the regular ones are and then expand on them with your
own.

3. Make a template. This helps with creativity because your
not spending all your time making group busses and fx sends etc.

4. Take the time to work out one new thing each day. What
is the audio pool? What do event parts do? How do Fx sends
work etc.. In a matter of no time you'll know every little bit of
Cubase.

5. This goes for Cubases plugins as well. Take the time to learn each one.
Some are not so good but some of them are absolutely awesome!

hope this helps you out.

ez

i got it for about 200 quid.
bargain really when you think about it. I will be buying it as soon as I have the cash and decent monitors.

I was using Nuendo 3 until recently when it crashed (pirates!) and the thing I prefer most about it is the fact when you hit space (stop) and hit it again it will play from the same point whereas in cubase sx3 it just carries on from where it stops. Or is there any way I can set it so it plays from the original cue point??

At Dauntless, how do you make a template man? I can see that would save a lot of time for the basic eq settings of drums etc..

Thanks in advance :)

At Dauntless, how do you make a template man? I can see that would save a lot of time for the basic eq settings of drums etc..

Thanks in advance :)

After you create a new project , give it a name choose a location etc....

1. Setup your Arrange page, Mixer window layout, tempo and whatever to however you like.

eg. I set my tempo to 172. Currently this is usual tempo for Nuero(phace, noisia, misanthrop... (they switch it up sometimes).

2. I then add group busses ( drums, bass etc), fx busses and midi tracks and anything else you use regularly.

Me, i add Kontakt 3 and Minimoog.

3. I also set up Voxengo Span on the Master out etc.

4. Now, most importantly, do not start making beats straight away! go to file and select "save template"

Cubase then asks you to save a name for your template.

Call it whatever you want... cubase template v1 etc

and then.... your ready to go.

hope that helps.

A massive feature that i just got onto to was the loop browser in Cubase 4.5

Hit F6 and this will bring up the loop browser.
Select the folder where you have placed your Sample Library.

The loop browser can play in project context(tempo) audition automatically, link with transport and has a volume slider!

Plus you can tag the files for easy sorting out! and much more!

Very Very Very powerful feature and has totally changed/ improved the way that i work!

love it!

A massive feature that i just got onto to was the loop browser in Cubase 4.5

Hit F6 and this will bring up the loop browser.
Select the folder where you have placed your Sample Library.

The loop browser can play in project context(tempo) audition automatically, link with transport and has a volume slider!

Plus you can tag the files for easy sorting out! and much more!

Very Very Very powerful feature and has totally changed/ improved the way that i work!

love it!

i need C4 in my life desperately.. :cry:

Use folder tracks. I discovered that if you keep things tidy by using these, you'll have much more overview of your project and tracks and it does improve your workflow. Just like with grouping your channels into drums, bass, percussion etc. into groupchannels for a mixdown, you can do the same with folder tracks. In this way it's not only much handier to move things around, but hard to copy things like automation are all included when copying (part of) the folder track. Give it a try!

Here's some more DNB relevant and intermediate style tutorials done for http://www.cuttingsounds.com

The Producer is TST

he's currently at 34 videos and there are 1000's more from other people and companies on the site for all diff sequencers, plug ins etc...Enjoy

Parallel FX for a VST instrument(intermediate)

Here are four tutorials covering differences of using fx channels vs groups and easy ways of creating a larger, synth sound with movement in Cubase SX 3. Click names of tutorials for links:

They are designed to be watched in the following order:

1. Parallel distortion for a VSTinstrument using pre fader sends to FX channel
2. Parallel distortion with groups rather than FX channels
3. Setting up for multi band effects processing
4. Multiband effects processing drum and bass bass example

5 Ways to make a sub bass fit better with a kick(Intermediate)

This tutorial gives 5 techniques available to try and make a sub and kick sit together in a song.
It requires the use of a spectrum analyser so if you are unsure about setting one of these up please watch 'Setting up a spectrum analyser in cubase' first.

Part 1 covers:
- An explanation into why it is so important that the kick and sub don't fight for the same space and what this means.

Part 2 covers:
- key changing
- Octave changing for selected notes
- pitch change of kick
- remove sub parts of the sub and high bass combination

Part 3 covers:
- Compressing the sub with a side chain compressor being triggered by the kick

HITPOINTS, SLICING UP DRUM LOOPS (FOR BEGINNERS)

This tutorial is for those familiar with the basics of the sample editor. If you are unware of what zero crossing means please check the 'SAMPLE EDITOR INTRODUCTION VIDEO (for beginners)' tutorial first.

This tutorial covers:
- Introduction and explanation to why you may choose hitpoints over timestretching
- Counting beats and bars
- hitpoint sensivity
- moving and manually adding hitpoints
- hitpoint mute
- Create audio slices option
- Quantizing audio
- Fade in and out options to individual slices
- Close gaps
- Reversing audio
- Bounce option

a few quick tips...

if you select say, an audio track on the project page,
then double click underneath the last track, a new track will be created!
if you selected an audio track then an audio track will be created etc.

also when you have a the audio pool open.
click the info icon.

Down the bottom of the page Cubase will tell you how many audio samples are currently NOT within the project!

If you have some samples NOT within the project. Right click for options and select prepare archive.

Any files that are located outside the current project
folder will be copied into it.

This is very handy if you want to back up your projects or move them to a dif location!

Hope the tips help....

i usually go file, new project, 16 midi track sequencer,to save me adding the midi channels. I drop audio into the audio pool,drag it in to it's own channel at the bottom of the sequencer. hit f11 to get the instrument rack, depending on the version you use.f3 mixer,f4 vst connections,f9 to scroll through you tools backwards f10 forward,f12 vst performance. i put them in this order because this is the way i usually use them. ctrl d to copy audio or midi data when highlighted. ctrl z delete. using a midi keyboard and a midi controller is a lot quicker also than drawing in with the mouse or editing synth controls. although i did that for a long time because this stuff isn't cheap. I use native instrument battery and massive,and a lot of freeware effect's (by freeware i mean free not warez or cracked software) making drum and bass is not that easy any way, so choose the right samples and make sure everything is in its own space in the frequency spectrum.
Use Eq and filters and a visual analyzer. Because no body's ears are perfect. i know its a bit off track but i thought id post my piece. cheers

Here is an easy one.

If you're working with audio (say drum hits) its a good idea to make audio parts out of them. Then when you want to move or shuffle some hits around just Highlight all the audioparts and doubleclick.
Cubase will open all the audioparts together for easy editing.

ez

Can some one help me please.
I just got cubase le 4 for my mac and im trying to use fm8 with it but when i record it dose not keep any of the tune i have just recorded .

Cheers.

Call me a dunce, but do you need a midi controller (keyboard, pads) to use Cubase? or can you just use the keypad like you can in Fruity Loops.

Call me a dunce, but do you need a midi controller (keyboard, pads) to use Cubase? or can you just use the keypad like you can in Fruity Loops.

Hi mate, I'll refrain from calling you a dunce for now :)

You can use the piano roll in a similar way to FL (I don't use FL but you can hear the notes as you draw them in right?) but you can't use your keyboard (depending on the VSTi).

If you don't want to get a controller of some kind then use one of the virtual keyboard things (I use Bomes Mouse Keyboard, google it) - they are not great but they can come in quite useful and you can assign your VST parameters via MIDI to one of the many knobs on it.

HTH

(I use SX3 btw)

hi, i know this might sound a bit dumb to some of u but what r the main differences between cubase 4 and cubase 4 studio and which one is best 2 buy? thanx

Hi mate, I'll refrain from calling you a dunce for now :)

You can use the piano roll in a similar way to FL (I don't use FL but you can hear the notes as you draw them in right?) but you can't use your keyboard (depending on the VSTi).

If you don't want to get a controller of some kind then use one of the virtual keyboard things (I use Bomes Mouse Keyboard, google it) - they are not great but they can come in quite useful and you can assign your VST parameters via MIDI to one of the many knobs on it.

HTH

(I use SX3 btw)
Cheers for the info, its just when I started up Cubase I couldn't even select a VI for some reason (probably cuz I didn't have any midi controlers) and just wanted to experiment, but I think Im goin to have to purchase a proper midi keyboard to make any real progress, best way imo.

i love cubase ,i have 3,but i tend to use fruity more becuz its easier to assign midi controllers---(right clik -link to controller)
any easy way to do this type of move in cubase?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom