When is Sub Focus' - 'Robot Rock' 'Rock on' or 'Rock it' coming out?

What is "dancefloor trash"?

Machete?

Mr Happy?

"Rock It"?

Music made to make people dance on a dancefloor?

I though that was what this entire scene was built on ...

Music made to make you want to dance

So what if it's more appealing to a 17 year old than say a Calibre tune for example? (which often isn't 100% made for the dancefloor ... or as least a bit more discreet about it)

They have to like something don't they? Youl find with most people as they get older their taste in drum and bass tends to develop a bit more, but everyone has to start somewhere, and 17 year olds going out to raves just want to enjoy themselves and enjoy the music, which they do, so what's the problem?

Sometimes I just feel people think they are too cool for school with drum and bass, and think they're above certain styles of the music because they listen to "deeper" stuff

Far too many times I've heard people say "Nah I don't really like all that jump up stuff", I swear they just think it's cool not to like what's popular when really they're just being narrow minded

And I can't believe I hear the word "Cheese" associated with dnb so much these days.

Cheese is "Build Me Up Buttercup"

Not fucking Airplane or Feelings, jesus christ it's just a vocal let it go people! ...

I'm done now.

Dancefloor trash is pretty obvious, music made just for the dancefloor that is churned out and in a cookie cutter mould. No need to play ignorant as you seem to know what it is...

You are right, Calibre doesn't necessarily make things for the dancefloor, he makes tunes for reasons other then getting people rowdy. DnB has evolved beyond being dancefloor music, and Calibre is a great example of a producer making bedroom DnB.

Who ever said that 17 year olds aren't meant to like something or its a problem, and of course it draws people to the scene, but that doesn't make it good.

That is such a trite arguement, that 'some people thing they are too cool with dnb.' Everyone has their own style, my mates and I got into dnb through producers like Calibre, as well as harder stuff like the Force etc., however have a clear understanding of what we enjoy too. I like a lot of jump-up, check my box and youd see... just think this tune is shite, like a lot of others who have stated so on this thread.

And there is cheese in dnb, of course there is, it is ignorant to think there isn't...

Dancefloor trash is pretty obvious, music made just for the dancefloor that is churned out and in a cookie cutter mould. No need to play ignorant as you seem to know what it is...

You are right, Calibre doesn't necessarily make things for the dancefloor, he makes tunes for reasons other then getting people rowdy. DnB has evolved beyond being dancefloor music, and Calibre is a great example of a producer making bedroom DnB.

Who ever said that 17 year olds aren't meant to like something or its a problem, and of course it draws people to the scene, but that doesn't make it good.

That is such a trite arguement, that 'some people thing they are too cool with dnb.' Everyone has their own style, my mates and I got into dnb through producers like Calibre, as well as harder stuff like the Force etc., however have a clear understanding of what we enjoy too. I like a lot of jump-up, check my box and youd see... just think this tune is shite, like a lot of others who have stated so on this thread.

And there is cheese in dnb, of course there is, it is ignorant to think there isn't...

What is also ignorant is to say something is 'cookie-cutter trash' simply because it's a big dancefloor tune. Please, show me another track using at all similar synths, an intro quite like that, and a percussion build-up that sounds anything like that. This tune is really different and spouting bollocks platitudes like 'cookie-cutter' just because it's dancefloor is daft. Fair enough if you aren't feeling it, but your criticisms are way off and frankly are just clichés.

You're a wise man nifty. I agree with what you're saying, more so the second part.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, because there are so many inns and outs of the argument all the time

But there's a reason why everything is the way it is in the scene, and I think on most occasions everything is justifyable, people are sometimes just too quick to judge without really thinking about what they are saying, without really thinking about why things are the way they are

What is also ignorant is to say something is 'cookie-cutter trash' simply because it's a big dancefloor tune. Please, show me another track using at all similar synths, an intro quite like that, and a percussion build-up that sounds anything like that. This tune is really different and spouting bollocks platitudes like 'cookie-cutter' just because it's dancefloor is daft. Fair enough if you aren't feeling it, but your criticisms are way off and frankly are just clichés.

Have to agree

I would love to see another producer churn out something in the same mould as this in the next couple of years (there certainly hasn't been anything like it in dnb before)

This is a very cookie-cutter tune and will commercially be very big and get over played and rinsed.

I also don't feel it and don't like that songs like this are what defines drum and bass to soooo many people.

And Nifty, I have thought long and hard about whether i like tunes like this, and whether or not the development and popularity of these types of tunes is what I would see as being good for the genre. I personally don't think so.

I fully understand the place for these tunes, I just think that that place in which they exist has too much prominence in the genre.

No one said, 'just because its dancefloor its trash.' Not at all, in any way... There are loads of dancefloor tunes I like, but this is pretty shit in truth.

The sounds are definately cheesy, the drop is nothing great at all. The worse thing about it is just how boring it is, its cookie cutter because it offers no depth and falls into a very definitive dnb sound.

They use that one synth loop over and over and don't even bother tweaking it throughout the tune... somewhat similar to bassline smiths can you feel it. It also has a shit nintendo bass vibe as well in a way. I am shocked at how many props its got.

This is the kind of tune that i hear on the dancefloor, and like for a wee bit, then if its played for more then 90 seconds i am instantly bored.

Have to agree

I would love to see another producer churn out something in the same mould as this in the next couple of years (there certainly hasn't been anything like it in dnb before)

Why is Subfocus on such a pedestal above loads of other producers with equal or in my eyes more talent.

Not only that, its not about your production skills as much as it is about your ideas... and his are poor and ripped off of Daft Punk...

What is "dancefloor trash"?

Machete?

Mr Happy?

"Rock It"?

Music made to make people dance on a dancefloor?

I though that was what this entire scene was built on ...

Music made to make you want to dance

So what if it's more appealing to a 17 year old than say a Calibre tune for example? (which often isn't 100% made for the dancefloor ... or as least a bit more discreet about it)

They have to like something don't they? Youl find with most people as they get older their taste in drum and bass tends to develop a bit more, but everyone has to start somewhere, and 17 year olds going out to raves just want to enjoy themselves and enjoy the music, which they do, so what's the problem?

Sometimes I just feel people think they are too cool for school with drum and bass, and think they're above certain styles of the music because they listen to "deeper" stuff

Far too many times I've heard people say "Nah I don't really like all that jump up stuff", I swear they just think it's cool not to like what's popular when really they're just being narrow minded

And I can't believe I hear the word "Cheese" associated with dnb so much these days.

Cheese is "Build Me Up Buttercup"

Not fucking Airplane or Feelings, jesus christ it's just a vocal let it go people! ...

I'm done now.

Good post.

This is a very cookie-cutter tune and will commercially be very big and get over played and rinsed.

I also don't feel it and don't like that songs like this are what defines drum and bass to soooo many people.

And Nifty, I have thought long and hard about whether i like tunes like this, and whether or not the development and popularity of these types of tunes is what I would see as being good for the genre. I personally don't think so.

I fully understand the place for these tunes, I just think that that place in which they exist has too much prominence in the genre.

No one said, 'just because its dancefloor its trash.' Not at all, in any way... There are loads of dancefloor tunes I like, but this is pretty shit in truth.

The sounds are definately cheesy, the drop is nothing great at all. The worse thing about it is just how boring it is, its cookie cutter because it offers no depth and falls into a very definitive dnb sound.

They use that one synth loop over and over and don't even bother tweaking it throughout the tune... somewhat similar to bassline smiths can you feel it. It also has a shit nintendo bass vibe as well in a way. I am shocked at how many props its got.

This is the kind of tune that i hear on the dancefloor, and like for a wee bit, then if its played for more then 90 seconds i am instantly bored.

Well all I can say is that I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this "style" of drum and bass, because I think it's fair to say it dominates the scene

I agree - however you always get people stating that ______'s production is nothing compared to ____ (enter techstep producers name) Just cuz its techstep doesn't mean the production value is any better then a liquid producer.

Anyways.... this song is utter shite dancefloor teenage trash that you will hear in a 17 year olds car along with eastern jam.

This is what I think about most Sub Focus tunes, but with rockit, watever it's called, sometimes I think it's shit then other times its sik, funny tune for me

Well all I can say is that I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this "style" of drum and bass, because I think it's fair to say it dominates the scene

Trite....

No need for pity mate, I just know what I like and don't.

I think that is what annoys me more about it, that it seems to dominate the scene. There is much much better dnb out there, you must surely know that? DnB that offers something, evokes emotion and feeling.

This tune offers nothing, its not even good to dance or shake too and has zero depth and substance... plus like I said before, he ripped off Daft Punk to write a dnb tune...

This tune offers nothing, its not even good to dance or shake too and has zero depth and substance... plus like I said before, he ripped off Daft Punk to write a dnb tune...

This tune is great to dance to for the vast majority of people. And it's not a ripoff in the slightest, it's a homage - the only thing that's the same is the general sound of the synths, and he recreated those himself from scratch.

[/B]

This is what I think about most Sub Focus tunes, but with rockit, watever it's called, sometimes I think it's shit then other times its sik, funny tune for me

I know what you mean by that, I get it with a lot of tunes. That makes up the primary reason I move from one room to another at bashment.

But it can't speak volumes for a tune if you only like it when the mood suits.

This tune is great to dance to for the vast majority of people. And it's not a ripoff in the slightest, it's a homage - the only thing that's the same is the general sound of the synths, and he recreated those himself from scratch.

It really isn't good to dance to... no funk and not a great bass line either.

The 'general sound of synths' is what makes this tune... its riff lead by one majour riff and that is the element that he takes from daft punk.

Making it yourself doesn't make it not a rip-off or mean he wasn't vastly influenced. If you know the software well enough you can make any sound you wish, even easier if you are incredibly influenced.

Making it yourself doesn't make it not a rip-off or mean he wasn't vastly influenced. If you know the software well enough you can make any sound you wish, even easier if you are incredibly influenced.

Didn't say it doesn't, but considering no part of the tune apart from the synth sound is similar, then I'd say that makes it not a rip-off.

Trite....

I think that is what annoys me more about it, that it seems to dominate the scene. There is much much better dnb out there, you must surely know that? DnB that offers something, evokes emotion and feeling.

He openly admits that he got the influence from Robot Rock, that's why the tune's called "Rock It", it's not like he ripped it off and tried to claim the whole idea was his own

The rest I'm not gonna discuss, because we obviously disagree which is fine lol

And I'm not pitying you in any way, I'm just saying it must suck to generally dislike this type of drum and bass as it dominates the scene, which is something we both agree on I think

Didn't say it doesn't, but considering no part of the tune apart from the synth sound is similar, then I'd say that makes it not a rip-off.

Bollocks to that... the synth sound is the only element of the tune that anyone will remember, or the only bit that people will associate with this tune... the guy even says its daft punk influenced.

Anyways... I am wasting waaaay too much time with this one!

I can't change your thoughts, neither you mine, so let it be...

He openly admits that he got the influence from Robot Rock, that's why the tune's called "Rock It", it's not like he ripped it off and tried to claim the whole idea was his own

The rest I'm not gonna discuss, because we obviously disagree which is fine lol

And I'm not pitying you in any way, I'm just saying it must suck to generally dislike this type of drum and bass as it dominates the scene, which is something we both agree on I think

I didn't say anything about him trying to claim it as his own, but to champion him as innovative with a tune like this is painly wrong.

I know it is big in the scene, and that is why I pick and choose my nights out. Doesn't suck at all, because i know the tunes that I love don't get too rinsed and I don't become jaded by them.

It also means that when I go to a night out to see Bukem or Marcus or whoever, its not full of peeps pilled up and there just because its a friday night. Its usually full of people there because they know.

Trite....

You need to accept that there is shit loads of dnb out there that dominates the scene that offers nothing, has no substance, evokes little emotion and feeling. It is annoying but going on about it will only increase the frustration. I have the same every time I see a Hazard or Original Sin thread. I struggle to believe that tunes like Wicked so could be considered to be decent.

It also means that when I go to a night out to see Bukem or Marcus or whoever, its not full of peeps pilled up and there just because its a friday night. Its usually full of people there because they know.

Fair point

Have to say I often wish Room 1 was a little bit more like this

I swear it used to be more like this a couple of years back

Sign of the times I guess, I definately feel that dnb is going through a certain phase right now, things will settle down at some point though I'm sure

Back
Top Bottom