What is that makes Andy C so great..?

Favourite thing about Andy is his knack of spotting real potential in up and coming DJ's, think how big the likes of Chase and Status and Sub Focus are now- makes you wonder where they'd be without the input Andy has had on their careers. His mixing is obviously next level, sets the bar at a real high level for the genre which you don't tend to find with other types of music (I.e. one DJ whose mixing skills far surpass those of other DJ's in the scene), guy is a legend, cannot rate him enough. Coming back from Motion today I was listening to him on an old Accelerated Culture pack, 15 years ago, still pissed all over the other DJ's on the night back then, does the same still now.

A lot of my hate is for the music. At some point, it stopped being drum and bass and turned into some kind of hybrid of 170 music and progressive house. Andy C supported that and his selection reflected it. Those tunes aren't Jungle. They aren't the music I fell in love with. He lost his integrity. I'll take guys like Loxy and Bailey. They don't mix as fast. They don't double drop everything. Their mixing is still flawless and they represent what I love about this music.

Favourite thing about Andy is his knack of spotting real potential in up and coming DJ's, think how big the likes of Chase and Status and Sub Focus are now- makes you wonder where they'd be without the input Andy has had on their careers. His mixing is obviously next level, sets the bar at a real high level for the genre which you don't tend to find with other types of music (I.e. one DJ whose mixing skills far surpass those of other DJ's in the scene), guy is a legend, cannot rate him enough. Coming back from Motion today I was listening to him on an old Accelerated Culture pack, 15 years ago, still pissed all over the other DJ's on the night back then, does the same still now.

I'll give you Sub Focus but, Chase & Status were already well on their way to stardom before Andy singed them to Ram.

Has anyone got any recent Andy C sets please ????

Preferably with an mc

I'll give you Sub Focus but, Chase & Status were already well on their way to stardom before Andy singed them to Ram.

Yeah but you'd expect him to of at least had an impact on the way their career went, not saying he made any of these guys into what they are now, but you gotta think where they might be had another label signed them.

This! I was at Brixton last night and Andy was amazing. People that say he is a sellout really have not got a clue! Look at his Nightlife series and the fact he was the first to release a proper mix cd with loads of exclusives, look at how he has pushed dnb to the masses giving our fav music the mainstream attention we so craved back in the mid to late 90's (to those that know!)

Also he played the following tunes last night to the so called kids!
Babylon
Renegade snares remix
Terrorist
The way vip
Watching windows

I have been in the scene since the jungle days and Andy is the hardest worker i have come across so big up!

also played a bangin old school breakbeat section, was only 4 minutes, best bit of the night.

Saw him last night at Motion. Amongst all the crap music he was playing and teasing some gems; true romance, the nine, renegade snare remix and loads more. His mixing is incredible and thats what I went for really, just stood with my head nodding and appreciated the skills involved.

We were having a messy one to his set!

either way, if you spent 15-20 years having to tweak bad dubs and promos before you can play them in a club, you will probably carry on tweaking tunes until you die

It's a minor, seriously. It work, who cares. As long as he's still mixing and beat matching. It means that he doesn't have to slow everything by 6 bpm or something and potentially lose momentum when playing tunes like the quest.

Change Chase & Status for Wilkinson then and you're good to go :)

A lot of my hate is for the music. At some point, it stopped being drum and bass and turned into some kind of hybrid of 170 music and progressive house. Andy C supported that and his selection reflected it. Those tunes aren't Jungle. They aren't the music I fell in love with. He lost his integrity. I'll take guys like Loxy and Bailey. They don't mix as fast. They don't double drop everything. Their mixing is still flawless and they represent what I love about this music.

I feel sorry for you, really. Imagining I'll get so embittered in the years to come about the music/scene I used to love. I sometimes bitch about certain tunes or selection of the new Nightlife, but hey, I can live with the pop-part of nowadays drum & bass, damn it I even like it when it's done well. The things I don't like I don't listen to, buy or play, simple as that. No point coming into every thread telling everyone the music went shit and there are just a few true pioneers left.

In terms of skill there probably aren't many better

However, in terms of song selection I'd say that there were a good few who are better than him nowadays. I half expect him to play a dnb remix of Justin Bieber in his sets

Change Chase & Status for Wilkinson then and you're good to go :)

I feel sorry for you, really. Imagining I'll get so embittered in the years to come about the music/scene I used to love. I sometimes bitch about certain tunes or selection of the new Nightlife, but hey, I can live with the pop-part of nowadays drum & bass, damn it I even like it when it's done well. The things I don't like I don't listen to, buy or play, simple as that. No point coming into every thread telling everyone the music went shit and there are just a few true pioneers left.
The majority of my posts are positive.

I don't listen to what I don't like. There's still a ton of quality drum and bass around. I've even said recently that this year is the best year for dnb since I've been following it. This thread asked about Andy C and I gave my opinion. I'm sorry that the fanboys get upset. Deal with it.

Saw him last night at Motion. Amongst all the crap music he was playing and teasing some gems; true romance, the nine, renegade snare remix and loads more. His mixing is incredible and thats what I went for really, just stood with my head nodding and appreciated the skills involved.

Agreed.. didn't think much of the song choice for the majority of the set (I was there for most of the 4 hours.. I got a bit bored and went to see Joker at one point though) but the sheer skill he showed last night had me in awe regardless of tune selection. The guy is a inspiration for me to become a better DJ, that's all I can really say. I'm not a fan of his own tunes or even his label (with the exception of one or two releases) but the guy a idol to me when it comes to his mixing.

This forum seems to have such an agenda with Andy and anything ram (godmode/on), yes they put out a bit of cheese but their output this year has also been very solid imo. I've seen andy 5 times this year and even when his sets changed up he still found ways to surprise me.

Start of the year he dropped classics such as this

To others such as shape the future remix. All depends on the venue you see him in imo, look at Friction - Fabric 70 is a fantastic mix of all types and yet as good as he was when I saw him this year, he was busy dropping Mr Trappy/Niggaz in Paris yet I don't see him getting hate. You have to remember that in these sets you have probably about 20-30% heads MAX and you gotta cater for the majority of the audience (vaguely recall a thread where someone said Goldie had a 10 min intro on a song and just before the drop went for a rewind and cleared the dfloor), some of you really need to get off your high horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom