What is that makes Andy C so great..?

but you hate ALL new dnb? what use are dubs to you?

What if they where dubs from old tracks ? MIND IS BLOW AY

As for hating ALL new dnb that statement is somewhat untrue as I do like Black Heart, No, I love Black Heart.

Yeah i guess, i don't really think that andy c NEEDS to explore all the corners of dnb, i always prefered him when he wasn't trying to please everyone.

He's doing his job. The majority of djs need to take note and maybe look at the crowd once in a while to see if they actually enjoy what is being played.

He's doing his job. The majority of djs need to take note and maybe look at the crowd once in a while to see if they actually enjoy what is being played.

Works both ways though. DJs who play straight nonsense just because the crowd's full of hyped up kids are just as bad as the self indulgent guys who play the latest elevator music to a packed club just because that's what they're into.

Why? The djs job is to please a crowd.

Yeah that's the broad idea, I didn't say it wasn't. But there's more to it imo. It's a bit different from a wedding DJ where he is just going to play the greatest cheese from the 90s and beyond because that's what people want to hear and people aren't there specifically for the music. With 'underground' music, people go to hear tunes they haven't heard because they are fresh, things they don't know about or might have forgotten about.

Dunno, perhaps that's an old fashioned way to approach it now.

I would never ever rewind a tune that has more than a 32 bar intro (or at least a cue point set at 32/16 bars before the drop), especially not if the whole intro was already played once

Jesus wept on on a bike!

I think you guys are taking the whole dj thing too literally, just play tunes its not science

Last edited:
I would never ever rewind a tune that has more than a 32 bar intro (or at least a cue point set at 32/16 bars before the drop), especially not if the whole intro was already played once

but then again i never did a rewind in my life (whilst playing out), if it's done well it can work I suppose but you shouldn't do it more than 1 time during a set, just kills the flow

You can use that intro to tease something in or do something instead of just letting it play, as Andy C does a lot of the time.

Your opinion that you should only do 1 rewind in a set. It is what the crowd wants in the end though. If they call for a rewind why should the DJ not do it?

You can use that intro to tease something in or do something instead of just letting it play, as Andy C does a lot of the time.

Your opinion that you should only do 1 rewind in a set. It is what the crowd wants in the end though. If they call for a rewind why should the DJ not do it?

Westfest 09, Spor kingdom intro teased with interface get low :dynamite:

how often does the crowd actually call for a rewind? usually the MC calls for it and everyone just goes "wheeeeeeey" because why the fuck not

And that's what andy does...

Not really sure what your point is. I never brought Andy C's abilities into question, I just don't think that the crowd should totally dictate what the DJ plays. There should be a balance.

Why? The djs job is to please a crowd.

To a certain extent however, I think it is also the DJs job to educate a crowd and play some lesser know tracks which they could like.

If you are playing exactly what the crowd wants then you might as well be a fucking juke box.

I think a DJ should play what they want to play and if you like their style and tune selection then you will pay to see them. If you don't you will pay to watch someone who does play to your style and music taste.

Simples.

I can only assume that Andy likes the tracks he plays and thats why he does it. It's not exactly like he couldn't sell out raves back in the day.

Yeah that's the broad idea, I didn't say it wasn't. But there's more to it imo. It's a bit different from a wedding DJ where he is just going to play the greatest cheese from the 90s and beyond because that's what people want to hear and people aren't there specifically for the music. With 'underground' music, people go to hear tunes they haven't heard because they are fresh, things they don't know about or might have forgotten about.

Dunno, perhaps that's an old fashioned way to approach it now.

You can still please a crowd without playing tunes that are already released. As long as the right tunes are playing at the right time

To a certain extent however, I think it is also the DJs job to educate a crowd and play some lesser know tracks which they could like.

Think it depends very much on the night in question.. as well as the crowd. Case in point recently was Neosignal playing a very poppy kind of album set at RUN here in bristol, which is known for being a heavy hitting drum & bass night. The dance floor emptied.. myself included. I was very wtf?!?!?! as I was expecting the usual neosignal stuff.. they soon realised what was going on and started dropping energy EP material and everyone came back in!

Most people are too fickle to be educated on new music when they're at a night out.. they've gone to that night with the kind of music they want to hear already in mind. I think the discovery of new music should be left to the bedroom.. if someone is passionate enough about music to be actively looking for new music then they'll be doing it at home anyway.

It's a shitty situation that DJ's still have to drop Mr Happy in every set for the crowd to love them.. but if it's what the crowd wants then it's what the crowd has to have innit?

Last edited:
Most people are too fickle to be educated on new music when they're at a night out.. they've gone to that night with the kind of music they want to hear already in mind. I think the discovery of new music should be left to the bedroom.. if someone is passionate enough about music to be actively looking for new music then they'll be doing it at home anyway.

It's a shitty situation that DJ's still have to drop Mr Happy in every set for the crowd to love them.. but if it's what the crowd wants then it's what the crowd has to have innit?

I disagree, I use to like seeing djs to hear music I have never heard before, If I wanted to hear tracks I already had I would sit and mix them in my bedroom. Obviously its always nice to hear your favoriate tracks and classics on a night out but I'd be more interested in hearing new music.

See it's different for everyone and it seems like everyone wants andy to please them. He plays music he likes and feeds off the crowd to make sure as many people as possible are having fun. I know this cos I spoke to him after a set one night and he said to me and Sam that he could see we liked the heavier stuff. And he catered to that. But there were also people in the crowd who weren't feeling that as much as some more mainstream tunes, which he played to make them happy. It must be a hard balance but he does it well and I don't know why people bitch and moan about it because he represents the genre as a whole and does it better than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom