What does take the longest for you while producing?

Melodies come out quite nicely, never struggle on that part. Up until about a month ago I always felt that making my basslines took the most effort of every track I made, so I decided to work on bass synthesis alone for a week or so. I learned a lot of things during that week and now I can say its not the thing that takes up most time now.. I now spend most of my time creating a fluid transition between the melody intro part and the drop. Somehow I always struggle to get this first bass hit to fall in to place nicely with the other pieces of the track, which is really a hard thing to get over. Sometimes I come up with the coolest basses but then they lack something to be used as a nice first bass hit, I spend a lot of time on this transitions... :D

Basslines, progression and melody come fluently most of the time. Getting drums and basslines to sound perfect together is the hardest part for me, so probably mixdown. :D

Basslines without a doubt, I can shit out melodies easy (learnt some scales-done), drums pretty easy (drummer) but yeh with Artfx on this one.. Longtings

Last edited:
Finding the good balance between the melody and the sound. Cause not every sounds fits every melody imo. Also working on the drums takes alot time.

Also, it depends how much inspiration i have.. Sometimes i make one track in almost a day, sometimes it takes me months...

getting inspired!! sometimes i sit on reason for a day and at the end of it............ZERO.

For me it depends on the project, each one is different, sometimes it takes me forever to get the drums sounding right or sometimes I spend a lifetime tweaking a string section to make it sound real.

The best advice I ever got on how to make melodies is this... If you don't know what scale your in, find out, then hit record and jam out on the keyboard for 10 minutes, then go back through your recording and see if there is anything you like.

I use this approach for a lot of other sections too if I am struggling.

At the moment i'd say bass mids, then sound design like the guys said.
Drums im pretty much ok with, FX, chords. But I dont tend to mixdown as im going along, which does cause a struggle towards the end.

Most of the time the Intro :D

Its the first thing people hear, sets the mood and should grab peoples attention, so I don't mind pumping time into it :)

Builds.

I know, sounds weird right, but I'm realising that within a solid tune, there is always immense build ups before drops or breaks. Something which gets overlooked quite considerably by alot of producers. We just think "Oh, a quick white noise riser, with a couple of reversed hits would work a treat". But how wrong that is! I spent most of my producing life looking at it that way, and only over the last couple of days have I realised that all good drops, are after a really good, solid build!

Builds.

I know, sounds weird right, but I'm realising that within a solid tune, there is always immense build ups before drops or breaks. Something which gets overlooked quite considerably by alot of producers. We just think "Oh, a quick white noise riser, with a couple of reversed hits would work a treat". But how wrong that is! I spent most of my producing life looking at it that way, and only over the last couple of days have I realised that all good drops, are after a really good, solid build!

Going to have to agree with this entirely, I was in this pit for a long time, lol.

I'll spend Hours on layering, eqing and filtering the bass alone. . . . .Everything else seems to flow after that. Then I'm at the mixdown, where I screw it all up and start over! hahah

Builds.

Haha so true, also I find making intros hard (which are also a kind of build up i guess)

Back
Top Bottom