Technics 1210 Question

Any estimate on when I might have to worry about this or am I just gonna have to feel it out? Like I said both of mine are about 6 years old. How old are yours Hazardman? Were they new or second hand?

right... the rings of dots on the platter can tell you this. Look by the on/off switch, it should have

small dot -3.3%
big dot - 0%
small dot - 3.3%
big dot - 6.6%

when you have you pitch at these incriments (ie 6.6%) that row of dots should appear to stand still, if not, they are out! Google how to adjust this, can be done by ones self but if ya don't feel confident then get it serviced! ;)

That's why I ask, becuase if anything were to go wrong with them my life would stop until it was fixed. I have nightmares about needles breaking, tonearms breaking etc. They mean alot to me too.

HA! I had the same dream a few years ago. A needle broke and it was during a time when there was a massive needle shortage all around the world (?) and no one could buy them anywhere. I woke up feeling quite depressed!

^^^ Hahaha a massive needle shortage!! Thats funny as!! I don't dream anymore, got some too good high grade atm lol!

right... the rings of dots on the platter can tell you this. Look by the on/off switch, it should have

small dot -3.3%
big dot - 0%
small dot - 3.3%
big dot - 6.6%

when you have you pitch at these incriments (ie 6.6%) that row of dots should appear to stand still, if not, they are out! Google how to adjust this, can be done by ones self but if ya don't feel confident then get it serviced! ;)

Inter-resting. So what do i need to do this then? just a screwdriver? will defo try myself, also how would you get an 100% accurate pitch of 3.3 and 6.6? Just guesswork I assume

Any estimate on when I might have to worry about this or am I just gonna have to feel it out? Like I said both of mine are about 6 years old. How old are yours Hazardman? Were they new or second hand?

mine are about 5 years old mate, heavy useage prob leads to this sort of thing.

Inter-resting. So what do i need to do this then? just a screwdriver? will defo try myself, also how would you get an 100% accurate pitch of 3.3 and 6.6? Just guesswork I assume

Don't bother trying to line up the 3.3%. The pitch scale is linear while the fader itself is logarithmic, so the two don't necessarily line up. Concentrate on getting the 0% and 6% spot on. Once you're done have a careful check around the +/-1% region to make sure you haven't got two zero points.

Guesswork is the way, trial and improvement. Unless you have access to a multimeter and frequency counter.

Don't bother trying to line up the 3.3%. The pitch scale is linear while the fader itself is logarithmic, so the two don't necessarily line up. Concentrate on getting the 0% and 6% spot on. Once you're done have a careful check around the +/-1% region to make sure you haven't got two zero points.

Guesswork is the way, trial and improvement. Unless you have access to a multimeter and frequency counter.

Right ok, very helpful comments, many thanks, am I right in thinking +6% on the pitch scale should result in the 'big spot' appearing stationary, rather than +6.6%

The big dots are only stationary at 0%. The next row up are stationary at 3.3% (but this might not line up with your fader). The top row of dots are stationary at 6%.

i thought u had to change the oil in the technics every 2000 hours or so its in the manual

Yeah. You do. Every 2-3 drops every 2000 hours of operation. Use SFW0010 oil. You might have to have someone tap the center spindle with a block of wood to disslocate the center spindle from the magent that holds it in place to get the platter to come off. Big up to who ever it was that tought me that? That's why I love this forum!!!!

Concentrate on getting the 0% and 6% spot on.

surly 0% is quartz lock and will always be 0% regardless of how fucked your pitch is.

i've turned the speed up on my decks before and there was just a massive change in speed around the quartz lock. i tuned them back to the right speed, its pretty easy, got it right, but it did take me along time.

surly 0% is quartz lock and will always be 0% regardless of how fucked your pitch is.

i've turned the speed up on my decks before and there was just a massive change in speed around the quartz lock. i tuned them back to the right speed, its pretty easy, got it right, but it did take me along time.

I Belive he means make sure you dont have multiple zeros, Theres a pitch knob and a zero knob.

Back
Top Bottom