Icicle Sample Pack?

is that enough of a source for you?

th

nearly 5 pages and no one has said that this pack is good or not, i work at a local charity shop once week for free and sometimes get tips, i have saved up enough money to purchase the icicle dnb sample pack and would like to know if its worth getting? or should i get the prime loops dnb extreme pack, thanks

Hot discussion here :) The icicle pack is pretty good in my opinion, very diverse, in case you are bored by song construction kit packs, and the samples are not overly processed, so you can't go wrong with this sample pack as it leaves a lot possibilities to use the samples also as further processing source to sculpt your own sounds from.

About labels that do not release tracks produced with samples of sample packs, well, here are some more tracks where commercial sample packs were used, for basses, for drums, for fx: https://goo.gl/JbM841

One can almost safely say, if you starting out today by making all from scratch you will have the downside for some years, where others that have started the same day like you, but used every help, have already releases on labels and their first gigs.

Your sound is always the result of using sounds you like, doesen't matter if you made them on your own or grabbed from any sample pack or any other source, it's that simple!

Furthermore you can learn a lot from good samples, and if you have good ones you can use them also to explore new sounds just by further processing.

Last edited:
right, as mentioned above we were discussing the difference of:
youngsters using lots of samples trying to get signed vs. established producers making great tunes using some samples.
see the difference?

You've destroyed your own point here. I said earlier that all it's all about the engineering of the samples used in my opinion, to which you told me that I won't get tunes signed using samples.

Trust me, I work for a leading sample pack creation company and we get tipped off all the time as to big producer's tunes that use our samples. It's commonplace and the reason why sample packs are created - to give producers creativity. They work a treat. Like RUSSLA said, the only people that seem to care are the producers that haven't got stuff signed!

Still can't believe I'm continuing this charade of a thread but I feel your points are too silly to ignore. Not insulting you at all though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just don't try to enforce your opinion as the law of the land by insulting others!

You've destroyed your own point here. I said earlier that all it's all about the engineering of the samples used in my opinion, to which you told me that I won't get tunes signed using samples.
Trust me, I work for a leading sample pack creation company and we get tipped off all the time as to big producer's tunes that use our samples. It's commonplace and the reason why sample packs are created - to give producers creativity. They work a treat. Like RUSSLA said, the only people that seem to care are the producers that haven't got stuff signed!
Still can't believe I'm continuing this charade of a thread but I feel your points are too silly to ignore. Not insulting you at all though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just don't try to enforce your opinion as the law of the land by insulting others!

hello. i thought peace is here now. i could go on showing you the little errors in your comment .. but i won't.
let's agree to disagree.
you working for a commercial sample pack company isn't exactly supporting of your opinion though ;)
however, i respect your and most other opinions here. i guess i admire poeple like KEENO too much who are talented enough to compose tracks from scratch, make them unique, and completely original. the guy released 2 amazing albums already and just turnd 20. but i'm aware there is plenty of good music around using commercial samples allover .. let's find some middle ground and say it's all about how to use samples in a creative way. see tony's comment to this discussion in podcast #298. how quickly this got around .. :)

Last edited:
Since analyzing your song a couple of days and making tunes solely on hardware all weekend... I totally get your point mach, there is a lot of depth in the sound compared to samples. But i think ultimately it is just a preference for people and for genres ie your chirpy hospital vibe it defo works well. Still a lot can be done to improve sample aswell with various FX.

just my weekends observations while mulling the subject over

It's to do with control.
If you use a loop, you can't control the positions of the drums in the loop if you don't like them.

If you use samples, you can't get as good a control over the way the drums were played, if you don't like that- but the way you hit a drum doesn't make that much difference to the sound really anyway, which is why people use samples.

If you play your own brought drums you don't have control of the way different skins sound, but you'd have to be really really fussy to care about the difference in sound between different drum skins.

I can't imagine using your own personal method of raising goats actually translates into control of the drum skin and sound.

It's to do with control.
If you use a loop, you can't control the positions of the drums in the loop if you don't like them.

If you use samples, you can't get as good a control over the way the drums were played, if you don't like that- but the way you hit a drum doesn't make that much difference to the sound really anyway, which is why people use samples.

If you play your own brought drums you don't have control of the way different skins sound, but you'd have to be really really fussy to care about the difference in sound between different drum skins.

I can't imagine using your own personal method of raising goats actually translates into control of the drum skin and sound.

Can't tell if you're playing along with the joke or you genuinely took that seriously. :teeth:

Can't tell if you're playing along with the joke or you genuinely took that seriously. :teeth:
Lol bit of both... I don't think there's actually anyone considering goat farming to improve their dnb they make.

I was trying to explain why a lot producers don't use loops, but almost all producers use samples.

Really? I doubt it! Labels would cut into their own flesh signing producers using too many samples because IT'S NOT ORIGINAL !!
I give one example: Tony @Hospital emphasises in very artist interview (i.e. on the podcast) NOT to use any purchased samples and to make your own instead.

If you know better pls give examples with artist/record, label, sample, sampler library you found being released on serious labels ..
PS: I agree good vibe & sound quality are also very important, but use of purchased samples is a no-go for most labels.
I do get what your saying but you can always make it your own sample though, A lot of times a sampled kick will be unrecognisable by the time I'm finished

I do get what your saying but you can always make it your own sample though, A lot of times a sampled kick will be unrecognisable by the time I'm finished

yep, fully agree. as smoothassilk says the topic is more about loops than single hit samples.
nice tunes on your SC by the way ...

Last edited:

That drum fill at 42 seconds has been lifted straight out of the Villem sample pack, with virtually no processing. So obviously Tony does sign tracks with samples in them. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all.

Frankly I can't believe you actually think that established producers can't make original sounding tracks with sample packs. I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise so I'm going to leave it there lol, obviously you are entitlted to your opinion.

THIS!!!

Back
Top Bottom