EQ Question

Hurlant Chamber

Using Ableton 9 - I thought high/low pass filters out everything below or above the cut off but, for example

if I high pass from 800khz then have a notch at 400khz - if I A/B this notch if still affects the sound - shouldn't it be unafffected?

They roll off the frequencies by a multiplier, ranging (usually) as such 6db per octave, 12db/oct, 24, 36, 48. Its not a brickwall cut. (Though some eqs/filters like ozone's eq do have a brick wall cut, which essentially mutes everything above/below it).

Last edited:
So your high pass is turning down frequencies below 800hz more and more a you go lower an lower. If you notch(edit: notch-boost) at 400 you'll re boost those frequencies

Last edited:
They roll off the frequencies by a multiplier, ranging (usually) as such 6db per octave, 12db/oct, 24, 36, 48. Its not a brickwall cut. (Though some eqs/filters like ozone's eq do have a brick wall cut, which essentially mutes everything above/below it).

Cheers - so what's the best way to brickwall stuff out?

To the best of my knowledge.. ozone is the only eq i know of with a "brick wall" option. Im sure there are others out there w this ability though. Why do you need to brickwall something? I dont think ive ever actually used a brickwall high/lowpass. Just curious. 48db/oct is already pretty steep a cut (turn one of your faders down 48db and youll see what i mean).

The closest I think you will get out of the box wth Ableton is the "EQ Three". Use it like three kill switches on a DJ mixer.

Turn the low frequency 800hz, set it at 48db and then kill the low. If you want a sharper cut you can duplicate the EQ Three a couple of times which will keep rolling the tail off the sound but probably at a detriment to the quality of the original.

Other than that the free Computer Music Magazine Philta does pretty good job of completely killing the sound with its 96db drop off.

Last edited:
Doesn't using a steep curve give you issues with phase cancellation? Or am I going full retard, thanks.
I've heard this before in another forum.. haven't tested it.. could just run something stereo thru SPAN and high/low cut it to hell and back and see what occurs i suppose

Back
Top Bottom