Dusty vinyls

My vinyl's love dust every time i spin a record the needle ends up clogged up with the stuff when it's half way through playing which is really annoying as it obviously messes with the sound. I understand it's magnetism and all that but dont know why mine gets so dusty so quickly? I've tried cleaning up the area around it regularly, keeping my room clean, using one of those vinyl dusting brushes (which is a pain to do every time you put a record on the turntable) and i've also had them in a couple of different rooms and the same problem keeps coming up.
I haven't used anti-static sprays yet, does this last long once applied or have you gota keep spraying it regularly? And I dont leave my records to one side for long periods of time i mix em pretty often.

Any tips/products you can recommend?

This actually happened to me for the first time yesterday, with a record that doesnt have a sleeve and was left unattended for a few days, had a huge chuck on fluff around the needle halfway through the tune

Use this stuff on your records every 3 or 4 months and you will never have this problem http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Cleaner-for-Vinyl-Records/dp/B0015C0YYY/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_y/278-9432734-9745658

The room my vinyls are stored in gets very dusty but using this means the dust never settles on my records, also if you give them a good clean before playing out it means there's minimal chance of the jumpy needle/sound degradation.

If you use window cleaner or similar, I have heard from others that this can sometimes settle in the grooves and make the records sound weird and also can eat away at the vinyl, if not washed off or the cleaner is too strong. Record fluid is cheap and lasts for ages so I wouldn't take the risk!

If you use window cleaner or similar, I have heard from others that this can sometimes settle in the grooves and make the records sound weird and also can eat away at the vinyl, if not washed off or the cleaner is too strong. Record fluid is cheap and lasts for ages so I wouldn't take the risk!

I agree, couldnt imagine pouring chemicals all over my beloved tunes :/.

The record cleaner is just chemicals though, shit smells like nail varnish remover

This is true, do not spill it! The main difference is that the record cleaner is very thin and will evaporate off if there's any excess liquid left, whereas a window cleaner will become this gooey horrible shit that truly ruins records.

If you ever used that LCD screen cleaner stuff that disappears seconds after you have cleaned your tv, the record cleaner does the same thing.

Isn't it pretty much just alcohol in record cleaner? Doubt it would do any harm

Use this stuff on your records every 3 or 4 months and you will never have this problem http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Cleaner-for-Vinyl-Records/dp/B0015C0YYY/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_y/278-9432734-9745658

The room my vinyls are stored in gets very dusty but using this means the dust never settles on my records, also if you give them a good clean before playing out it means there's minimal chance of the jumpy needle/sound degradation.

i went with your recommendation and so far so good!! nice one :) sound quality is a lot better and there hasnt been a case of dust clogging up the needles *touch wood it stays like that* and i havent even got round to hoovering my room yet lol. i like to air my room out while i hoover but its to damn cold!!!

watch this vid then you can tell your friend how it is actually done. anti skating is not supposed to be set, its supposed to be calibrated.
anti skating
yeah it wasnt set properly but wasnt far off, i think this also contributes to my better sound quality lol - cheers mate (and viperfrank)

Back
Top Bottom