Beat matching driveing me insane!!

I've been mixing for a year now and I still clang too much for my liking. I just went into a spastic rage n smashed my headphones after a particularly shit session so I was just wondering how long it took u all till u could perfectly beatmatch any two records?
thanx

any? im mixing for over 2+ years now and some sloppy parts are unavoidable at times still unfortunately - thats with my vinyl bare in mind, but "any" will take you years and years of practise!

I've been mixing for a year now and I still clang too much for my liking. I just went into a spastic rage n smashed my headphones after a particularly shit session so I was just wondering how long it took u all till u could perfectly beatmatch any two records?
thanx

I've been spinning for many, many years. When I first started the beatmatching only took me about 3-4 months to master. To be honest, and certainly not to discourage anyone... but, once you get beatmatching down, that's just the beginning. Learning how to program your sets and mix in key... now that can take years to truly master. The great thing about DJing is that there always seems to be another level to aspire to once you think you've mastered one particular element.

Eventually it will get to the point where your head automatically counts both tracks i.e. 1.2.3.4.1.2.3.4, sometimes I find if I'm concentrating on beats too much it can get a bit sloppy, so just try and relax and feel the rhythm, and stick at it man, it will all come together with practice.

I taught myself and um taught myself some mad method

Then my boyfriend showed me to mix dropping in on the first beat aha!!! here we go. If you know any other DJs its good to get them to show you how they mix

You just need to learn when to release the second record, at the right point, then you speed it up or slow it down and get the beats in time :) I tend to touch the vinyl a lot which I am told is bad but I am not very good at pitch riding.

Watched AMC DJ he just uses the pitch! brilliant, he hardly touched the vinyl

I taught myself and um taught myself some mad method

Then my boyfriend showed me to mix dropping in on the first beat aha!!! here we go. If you know any other DJs its good to get them to show you how they mix

You just need to learn when to release the second record, at the right point, then you speed it up or slow it down and get the beats in time :) I tend to touch the vinyl a lot which I am told is bad but I am not very good at pitch riding.

Watched AMC DJ he just uses the pitch! brilliant, he hardly touched the vinyl

I agree it's not good to touch the vinyl - sometimes it can't be helped. When I first started I was doing that. Not that it's bad for your records or anything, it's just that the adjustments can be too obvious sometimes when doing this.

It's better to pinch the spindle or touch the roughness on the side of the platter (if you're on a Technics), and be subtle.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Of course, eventually you can just ride the pitch slider and make all your adjustments there in real-time.

I agree it's not good to touch the vinyl - sometimes it can't be helped. When I first started I was doing that. Not that it's bad for your records or anything, it's just that the adjustments can be too obvious sometimes when doing this.

It's better to pinch the spindle or touch the roughness on the side of the platter (if you're on a Technics), and be subtle.

Agreed, way way beta to use the pitch, stops those orrible flutters

didn't read the entire post, but everybody is saying the same thing. practice practice practice. record as often as possible when learning too. that helped me a lot. wouldn't say i had a decent handle on it for over a year.

someone said try 4x4 beats, but i still can't really mix em... i would say stick to your favorite genre and subgenre cause you'lk vibe to the music easier. the rest comes with experience. helps to have something with large and accurate pitch faders too.

thanx

have a listen to my mix on soundcloud mate. I have been practicing in my room for the last 9 years and have only just gotten asked to play out. There aint a scene for dnb where I live so its pretty much for my own enjoyment. I use technic 1200 mk5 and a shit behringer djx700 om serato sl1.

http://soundcloud.com/sector478/sectormarch142010

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I've been spinning for many, many years. When I first started the beatmatching only took me about 3-4 months to master. To be honest, and certainly not to discourage anyone... but, once you get beatmatching down, that's just the beginning. Learning how to program your sets and mix in key... now that can take years to truly master. The great thing about DJing is that there always seems to be another level to aspire to once you think you've mastered one particular element.

truth/\

Back
Top Bottom