1210s - still deserve to be industry standard?

1210s - still deserve to be the industry standard?

• Yeah! - They're so durable, have enough features & everyone knows how to use 'em!

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Nah man! - these decks are OLD and just don't compare to newer top-end decks!

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
While Technics may have proven to be a solidly-built deck, they're certainly slipping behind the Vestax PDX range (and the new Numarks coming out have even better torque than the Vestaxes!) - I'm sorry, but I agree - if you think that the Technics is the overall better deck out of the choise of the top-of-the-range Vestaxes, Numarks, Stantons and Technics, then you're sadly mistaken.

Proven build quality doesn't constitute a superior deck. And besides, you should be careful with your decks. There's no reason to throw them around, in which case toughness doesn't really factor into the equation that much. All you people holding onto the same old "Technics are best cause they're in tall the clubs" argument, stand back and just considering in a non-partisan way. If you can.

Better yet, go to a music store that has a PDX2000/2300 and a Technics 1210 Mk2 set up side by side, and just try them both out at the same time on things like pitch control / spin up time / tracking / stability (and ability to withstand shocks and not skip while playing a record). The Vestax will win every single one of those.

Now tell me the Technics is a better deck. WAS the better deck, still is the industry standard because... It's Technics. In my opinion, it's now paying for the name to a large extent.

i bought a pair of 1210's back in march.

not one but both of the pitches have gone completely apeshit. my right deck is so bad that +0 is around +5 and it can fluctuate all the way down to -5. you can see the pitch dots flailing around by just moving the pitch in minute amounts.

my left deck isn't as bad but it's getting there. i took it out of the box the other day to play a record shipment i got and i could barely keep anything in mix. both decks will be beatmatched perfectly then all of a sudden the platter will slow down really fast by itself and i'd trainwreck.

to make matters worse, i gotta ship both of them off to PA where the repair factory is and wait 2 weeks to get em back. that's also $60 out of my pocket. can't get replacements cause they said i wouldn't get a warranty with it. they even accused me of mistreating them. when i save up for 2 years for a pair decks the last thing i'm gonna do is bang em around.

sorry for the rant. just thinking about this makes me furious :mad:

mate, my 1210's have gone through a house fire! being one of the only things reckognisable left! when the fire brigade came into the house they sprayed the decks with water (along with everything else) the insurance company came around straight away and started cleaning all the shit ot of the house, they chucked the 1210's in the skip! i rescued them, plugged them in at a friends house, and bingo! they still worked! So if your decks pitch control is fucked already, i look on what you are saying with a strong feeling of sceptism. If it wasnt you, one mof your mates probably spilled beer them while u wernt looking, then maybe jismed on them too.

so if anyone tries to say 1210's are shit or that they dont deserve to be industry standard, they can suck my nipples cuz that is a battering that they took! there wasnt much left after the fire.

maybe it was a sign from god?

and p.s
vestax & numark both produce better decks, and yes, they DO! BUT!..... BUT! Linux make better Operating systems than Windows, but i highly doubt all the big games company's and sofwtare developers are gonna say, 'hey, widows suck willy, lets stop making games for windows O/S even though we know our games WORK FINE on that O/S and make games for Linux (of which only 1% of all operating systems are Linux) cuz it soooooo much better'

totaly like whateva, yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah

ARSE!!!!!!

BIG XEN, he fuckin knows it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
End of the day, I don't mind if other people stick with their overpriced, inferior Technics while I save about 60 quid (that's 10 new bits from Classic Trax then) and get two vastly better decks to play them on. Cheers ;)

xen said:
End of the day, I don't mind if other people stick with their overpriced, inferior Technics while I save about 60 quid (that's 10 new bits from Classic Trax then) and get two vastly better decks to play them on. Cheers ;)
Have fun when u might play in a proper club with technics and u dont know how to use em then. All i can hear is double beats, double beats, double beats ;)

Not gonna happen. Vestaxes are so intuitive to use, first decks I used were 1210s, and after jumping onto my mate's Vestaxes I knew exactly what to do within a minute or so. Yeah, the pitch faders are a little different in response, but that's easy to get to grips with. No notch, so you don't get stuck in 0 if you're doing some uber pitch chasing ala Andrew Clarke.

Better torque, easier launches onto breaks, easier to nudge the pitch and faster to hear the results as well, a harder push will elicit not as much speed variation because of the better torque. So you don't have to worry about pushing your record too hard, and then having to correct in the opposite direction cause you gave it too much of a nudge.

I'm sorry, even as a big Technics fan, Vestaxes outclass them. It's a done deal. :P

Are you just all bitter cause you invested in 1210s? :D

Reapa said:
Have fun when u might play in a proper club with technics and u dont know how to use em then. All i can hear is double beats, double beats, double beats ;)

That might be deliberate, some of my elite double teasing & layering please :slick:

xen said:
That might be deliberate, some of my elite double teasing & layering please :slick:
keep on telling yourself its deliberate. anyway, point taken u think vestax are better, i think technics are better. Nuff said. Everbody entitled to their own opinion but the stats at the top of the page dont lie. Peash

xen said:
Not gonna happen. Vestaxes are so intuitive to use, first decks I used were 1210s, and after jumping onto my mate's Vestaxes I knew exactly what to do within a minute or so. Yeah, the pitch faders are a little different in response, but that's easy to get to grips with. No notch, so you don't get stuck in 0 if you're doing some uber pitch chasing ala Andrew Clarke.

Better torque, easier launches onto breaks, easier to nudge the pitch and faster to hear the results as well, a harder push will elicit not as much speed variation because of the better torque. So you don't have to worry about pushing your record too hard, and then having to correct in the opposite direction cause you gave it too much of a nudge.

I'm sorry, even as a big Technics fan, Vestaxes outclass them. It's a done deal. :P

Are you just all bitter cause you invested in 1210s? :D
The 1210 MkIII's don't have the notch in the pitch to stop it at 0.

Reapa said:
keep on telling yourself its deliberate. anyway, point taken u think vestax are better, i think technics are better. Nuff said. Everbody entitled to their own opinion but the stats at the top of the page dont lie. Peash
:word: I'm with him, they are the standard and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Having never used any Vestax decks I can't comment myself, but the 'toy' style design certainly do them any favours.

on paper vestax are the better deck. better torque, pitch etc. But after usin both i just find technics are the easier to use. It seems a lot of other people think the same, so surely which one allows you to perform better is more important than which ones got the better tech stats. Also that tiddly little tone arm does my nut in on the vestax!

so Technics are caning this poll up so far. its all about the Technics!

Like Reapa sed, if uv gone from ur perfect Vestax at home to Technics in a club then ur fooked!
I dont know if Vestax are supplied with lids now, but I cant believe they never used to supply em with lids - that aint good!

ALPHA'mC said:
So if your decks pitch control is fucked already, i look on what you are saying with a strong feeling of sceptism. If it wasnt you, one mof your mates probably spilled beer them while u wernt looking, then maybe jismed on them too.

:lol: i'm extremely sure that didn't happen cause i'm the only one that has touched them. no one i know is into djing (or dnb). in fact i've showed em off to only 3 people and that was for an extremely short period of time before we left. nothing has been spilled, tampered with, banged around, broken, misused, or jizzed on since i got them, unless you call pitch bending misuse. dust cover goes on when i don't use em.

i can see how people can think i'm lying and fucked around with them but i honestly just watched them degrade to the point they're at now. i noticed it around june and it's been downhill from there.

i'm not saying they're bad decks either, it's just the experience i've had with them has been less than stellar. they're gonna be shipped off tomorrow.

DJ Lordward said:
so Technics are caning this poll up so far. its all about the Technics!

Like Reapa sed, if uv gone from ur perfect Vestax at home to Technics in a club then ur fooked!
I dont know if Vestax are supplied with lids now, but I cant believe they never used to supply em with lids - that aint good!

Yer, they are. Easily removable.

Fair enough, the straight tonearm might piss some people off - it's good though, and the ASTS anti skip system on those decks is just :O amazing.

The silver ones don't really do the deck justice in terms of looks, they do look a bit too playdoh-ey. That's why I'm buying the black ones ;)

Been an interesting conversation, this... :)

xen said:
Yer, they are. Easily removable.

The silver ones don't really do the deck justice in terms of looks, they do look a bit too playdoh-ey. That's why I'm buying the black ones ;)
:)
not too keen on the white ones either :shake:

I really like people who when asked about changing the standard say that they've only played Technics BUT love them so the standard shouldn't be changed.

I don't think 1210's deserve to be standard. They're not as good as even mid-range decks from competition, whether it be Vestax or other companies. The top range decks just blow every 1210 out of the water, even if its a goldplated v5.

BUT if you want to play in a club and not carry your decks around, you've got to learn to handle 1210's, not the better decks.

Its like learning to race an brand new Carrera and then finding you have to race an E-type Jag. Its still a great car (showing its age in comparison) and in the hands of a pro it will do great but the techniques are totally different.

On the other hand, if you learn on 1210's, you won't have trouble switching to a deck with +/- 60% pitch, pitch shifting, variable brake and startup speeds and a platter that goes from 0 to full speed in half a second... Guess what I'm talking about.

I learnt that the hard way and am still learning it.
Buying 1210's is still a wise choice only because they're everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom