1210s - still deserve to be industry standard?

1210s - still deserve to be the industry standard?

• Yeah! - They're so durable, have enough features & everyone knows how to use 'em!

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Nah man! - these decks are OLD and just don't compare to newer top-end decks!

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
Dustek said:
On the other hand, if you learn on 1210's, you won't have trouble switching to a deck with +/- 60% pitch, pitch shifting, variable brake and startup speeds and a platter that goes from 0 to full speed in half a second... Guess what I'm talking about.
thats absolutely wrong, imho.
When one's used to a simple layout, and goes to play on a vestax, then, one's really puzzled by all the knobs and dials, and one has two(!!) pitch faders to worry about,
Add to all that the agonizing glare from the silver-shine finish of the dex, and you got a hell of a switch from a simple proffesional equipment, to a Vauxal nova, tuned to 500bhp...painted silver..
:cat:

You ignore the knobs you can't deal with and use start/stop, pitch +/- 10, 33/45. The rest you learn to use later. Its not complicated for somebody who's mastered split hearing.

I admit the silver PDX looks crap and plastic (black though looks good) but it doesn't glare and its all about the music, not the looks, isn't it?

:soap_box:

Dustek said:
You ignore the knobs you can't deal with and use start/stop, pitch +/- 10, 33/45. The rest you learn to use later. Its not complicated for somebody who's mastered split hearing.

I admit the silver PDX looks crap and plastic (black though looks good) but it doesn't glare and its all about the music, not the looks, isn't it?

:soap_box:

Very true. The silver ones don't shine or glare, it's just cause your jealous that your 1210s have scratches all over the dusty black, scratched-to-fuck shells :P ;)

It really is elementary - you just _know_ what does what. Everything's labeled with small writing, big enough to be read but not small enough to be annoyingly small, so you can quite easily work out what's what. The +/-50 fader is inset right into the deck, and is physically quite hard to move, and is at a perpendicular to the regular pitch fader, so no problems there. The Quartz Lock button has an LED which illuminates when enabled (as does reverse), so you don't make the mistake of trying to mix with the Quartz Lock then fucking it all up when you suddenly realise and turn it off.

Just look at that ASTS anti-skip system. Phwoar.

PDX2000_4.jpg

In-set sockets around the back too, essential. Also has a remote jack for "momentary start" - remote playback, you could work out a whole "mystery DJ where is he" routine before popping out from behind the curtains just as the first record drops, to screams from your adoring fans ;)

Plus, while it doesn't look baaad in silver (silver high-grade ABS, not just 'plastic' ta) it looks funk-eh in black.

PDX2000S_black_2.jpg

Tell me that ain't a smart deck. :D

this whole thing has been a big handbag fight from start to finish... reckon we should all tuck our handbags away and acknowledge that technics have always and will be the standard because everyone has learnt on them, because they were the SHIT before anyone else had a good pair.

yes, numark ttx (my ex decks :() and pdx200/2300 are statisically better decks, but the stanton str150's are also up there with spec, but like all else, im gettin a pair of 12's because they are a joy to mix on.

simple as that. tell me one person who has mixed on their 1210s at home and hated it!

I'm not just saying this to shit stir, but after mixing on Vestaxes I found the Technics to be lacklustre and a bit average to be perfectly honest. There's been no major development of the main design (aesthetic or technical) since its incarnation as the 1210, it just relies on its existing credentials. Other decks are daring to be different, and while that scares some people, I love it.

xen said:
PDX2000S_black_2.jpg

Tell me that ain't a smart deck. :D
that aint a smart deck..

handbag or not handbag, im of the opinion, that the less functions a device does, the better it does em.
Plus, the straight tone arm, whereas better skip resistance, sounds crap (tested and proven FIY) and wears your recks much faster.
Look,
the bottom line is that both decks aint perfect anyway, and if you look at the manual, the Tecks look old and unevolved. But they remain trusted by many, while the Vestax gain love in people too..mainly young'ones !!
:D
i guess, ones gets sentimental about his first deck, and swears by it..
still tho, fer me, sexy is function:
Technics%20SL1200.jpg

:love: :banana:

(just for the record) the Vestax PDX 2000/2300 Mk II Pro has a regular bendy tonearm, not straight scratch-style - but the ASTS system is designed to apply even wear across the record surface, so just adjust the overall level of pressure on the system to make sure your records still wear evenly, but less :)). Couple that with some of those Shure carts with the rounded needles to apply less pressure into the very inside of the groove, and you're sorted. :)

they might have all that stuff but the pitch control is still to fuckin flimsy, for mixing, the stiff 1210 pitch control is the shit!

They might look uber, but they sure got an uber pricetag to go with em. VASTLY overpriced imo. i bet those professionally-taken promotional shots cost a fair bit to do too.

Thing is, if you were an event organiser, would you buy those 700 dollar-a-piece decks to put out for DJs at a gig? Don't thiiiiink so. At home, maybe. PDX2000s you can take em out, drop them on the floor, spill beer over em, they'd still work great. It took Technics all this time to put features onto their decks that Vestax have had since ....... ages ago. Sounds to me like they're beginning to play catch-up a bit. ;)

Perhaps it's cause I recognise a superior deck when I see it :finger2: :teeth:

... Gotta admit though, any deck in brushed black = teh sex :D :D :D :D

xen said:
It took Technics all this time to put features onto their decks that Vestax have had since ....... ages ago. Sounds to me like they're beginning to play catch-up a bit. ;)
yeah, coz while Technics KNEW how to built a proper deck, Vestax was too busy doin market research on what shape/color sells.
Plus, theyve spent far more money in employing Q-bird and Mix master mike, just so trainspotters would look into Vestax..On the other hand Technics named the worlds highest turntablism competition.

Like i said mate, its one to their own, but im sure youll find a smartass comment to make anyway, so shoot away
:teeth:

Well, I wasn't going to, but as you're obviously so blatantly desperate to hear yet another of my Quality Retorts®©™ then here we go:

Technics just using the DMC world championships as a showboat for their now-very-standard products. If you gave the DJs Vestaxes to DJ on instead of Technics, they'd probably realise that they've been using inferior decks - once they actually get used to the feel of a quality motor again :D :D :D :D :D :D

That do you? :P

il start a new poll. which will die first - xen - or this thread? my moneys on xen! he really does have an answer for everything! respect for arguin til the bitter end for ur vestax tho :respekt:

seriously tho, its all about technics :gslayer:

;) hahaha :D

Ah well, there we go. :D

I'll be getting 1210s though to get the ball rolling though, I've been given the opportunity to buy some for 250 quid each, which beats the pants off the Vestaxes - I can afford a mixer at that price! I guess I'll have to stick with 1210s until I have the money to upgrade ;) And anyways, some sucker'll buy my 1210s off me for more than the cost to me in a year anyway, so it's a sound investment :D :D

Still think Vestaxes are a better deck though. No, I'm not backpedalling. :P Just desperate times, desperate measures... and I think I already have someone in mind that I can flog the Technics to ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom