1210s - still deserve to be industry standard?

1210s - still deserve to be the industry standard?

• Yeah! - They're so durable, have enough features & everyone knows how to use 'em!

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Nah man! - these decks are OLD and just don't compare to newer top-end decks!

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
DJ Lordward said:
damn thats well bad. il have to get 2 copies of a record & see if they're the same pitch on both of mine. I reckon they will be at the same speed tho.

@ Seethe: yeah theres always loadsa pennies taped onto 1210s in clubs, but i reckon thats cos they dont change the needles frequenly enough. My Ortofon Om Pros never skip on my 1210s, even with heavy scratching.

you don't need two copies mate. If you dont have any doubles, start a tune at 0 pitch and beat-mix another into it. Check what the second tune's pitch is closely; then swap the two records to opposite decks and try the same thing, start first tune at 0 then check what the second tune's pitch is. If its different to the first reading you are out of whack.

doubles will give you a clearer reading for sure, but this method will give you a result at least. And they will almost certainly be out, I must say.

Also I think people use coins cos they sometimes havent balanced the tone arm

-=Seethe=- said:
yeah! i always loved the smell of vinyl aswell
Ive been brought up to belive that when a product hits the market, it starts at a high price and over the life of the product the price gradually drops. If this where true of 1210s the original price would have been like 20.000 a set. Havnt thay been about 700 (for two) nicker since the dawn of time?
a products price is determined by the demand for said product.
Another evidence that Techs are the most popular
:jacko:

very true about the porche, you wouldnt expect to pay the same amount for it as you would have done in 1980 though. Ive used Technics and ive used other decks. I fully get the quality issue people are talking about, there is just a great solid feel to them and my opinion is thay are worth the 700 odd quid youd spend on a pair. However, its still odd to see something NEVER depreciate no matter how great it is. I think it comes down to the lack of competition. Vestax just arnt up to it

DJ Lordward said:
Yo Mesh I tried that out on my 1210s & the pitch is perfect on both of em! exactly the same speed 4 both decks.

cool bro

speakin of technics im off to see friction and pendulum tonight

:smash: :smash:

:andy:

I'm a Technics fan, I have loads of Technics merch cause I like them so much, but even then I'd still go for a pair of Vestax PDX 2000s over a pair of 1210s any day. (not the 2300s, not worth it for cost vs. new features)

Vestaxes have higher torque, only take 0.5 seconds to get up to speed - whatever speed you have the deck running at, so that could be +60 - their ASTS tracking system is quality, and the design of the decks is sturdy.

Saying that, I wouldn't buy the silver ones. Only the black ones for me, go with the mixer ;)

1210s have lost their crown by staying "as they always were" for too long. They're old technology now - when it was good it was great, but now they're beginning to look and feel a bit dated, even with their classic design lines. Innovation breeds market share.

And I can't believe that Technics just put their standard 1210 motor design into their new CDJ player - that's just poor. They could've at least updated it to give a bit of a more up-to-date underlying machine, a little more speed, a little more accuracy.

Or perhaps Technics are stuck in a moment and they can't get out of it :/

Last edited:
spinning in a club can be a mad haze of faces, shouting and smoke

why u wanna do ur head in with complicated decks?

keep it simple and focus on the music

If the main features (pitch control and torque) of a PDX2000 are of better quality and easier to use than the ones on a Technics (as I think they are), then your point is invalidated :P

End of the day, Technics win and vestax lose. No place ive ever played has had vestax and that goes for a number of other people in here. More gadgets = more things to go wrong. :finger2:

Only main reason that clubs still have Technics is that all (most) of the DJs are so set in their ways they'd just kick up a fuss if the decks were changed, cause they're used to DJing on what I'd consider nowadays inferior quality decks.

Plus, Technics still go wrong as well. :P End of the day, all the PDX2000 has more is 1) better anti-skip protection, 2) better tracking arm, 3) better pitch control, 4) MORE pitch control (good for scratch & hiphop DJs primarily, but some interesting uses can be had), 5) quartz lock, 6) pretty much the most torque per lb on any deck around today. How's half a second startup to +50 float your boat? You don't have to push the record off with your hand to get it started any more :/ ... Course if you like living in the past, don't mind me while I nip past you. :P

DJ Lordward said:
wassup Mesh??

torment Lordward. All this chat about technics vs vestax has much basis, but I hardly think its stepping into the future ya know? hardly a quantum leap in terms of what you can DO on 'em, the new flash ones

xen said:
Only main reason that clubs still have Technics is that all (most) of the DJs are so set in their ways they'd just kick up a fuss if the decks were changed, cause they're used to DJing on what I'd consider nowadays inferior quality decks.

Plus, Technics still go wrong as well. :P End of the day, all the PDX2000 has more is 1) better anti-skip protection, 2) better tracking arm, 3) better pitch control, 4) MORE pitch control (good for scratch & hiphop DJs primarily, but some interesting uses can be had), 5) quartz lock, 6) pretty much the most torque per lb on any deck around today. How's half a second startup to +50 float your boat? You don't have to push the record off with your hand to get it started any more :/ ... Course if you like living in the past, don't mind me while I nip past you. :P
Nip past us all mang, seeing as your such a big dj now :readthis: :upyours:

You'd have to be mis guided or completely stupid to think that 1210's are the best dex. vestax kik ass all the way with almost every spec. BUT as we all know 1210's are excellent turntables, extremely reliable and built like brick shit houses! 1210's deserver to be industry standard because theyve been around since the begining, and are the industry standard as most top djs when they learned their trade technics were the only things to have, so they are used to them and would perform as well on other dex.

new poll_ do milk bottles deserve to be the industry standard?
_
yes for the carton|_|
_
yes for the bottle|_|

ALPHA'mC said:
You'd have to be mis guided or completely stupid to think that 1210's are the best dex. vestax kik ass all the way with almost every spec. BUT as we all know 1210's are excellent turntables, extremely reliable and built like brick shit houses! 1210's deserver to be industry standard because theyve been around since the begining, and are the industry standard as most top djs when they learned their trade technics were the only things to have, so they are used to them and would perform as well on other dex.

new poll_ do milk bottles deserve to be the industry standard?
_
yes for the carton|_|
_
yes for the bottle|_|

yea thats why vestax have won so many more awards then technics?!?! yea right

Back
Top Bottom