Your first set in a club..

DJ SPAWN

Eazee everyone!!
I just copped my first pair of decks like two weeks ago (im still learning).

Ive managed to get a booking sorted at club Stealth, Nottingham ..in 6 months time.

It will be my first set in a club and ive never promoted a night before lol :|
(got some mates in on it with me too) ..plus we've got Mattix & Futile coming down too (I hope :P)

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on first time stuff? lol ..like how to get the place rammed haha? :D

I'd really appreciate any feedback or any other information on how YOUR first night went and like what you did?
..im not too fussed about making a loss, im doing it because I want to, not for the money if that makes any difference lol..

Soundd!! x

Naked wrestling chicks, massive inflatable penis and a cabaret act, preferably comedians telling non-rude jokes, a camel wouldnt go a miss either, basically lots of wildlife and naked women.

i dont want to piss on your rainbow here spawn
but the only recommendation i can offer is to know what your doing before playing out.
Sadly i firmly believe this will take you much longer than 6 months to even begin to master.

if you want to get real good real fast then i suggest recording some mixes, up to soundcloud and post them on here and take note of the feedback provided and use it as constructive criticism for your development.

i dont want to piss on your rainbow here spawn
but the only recommendation i can offer is to know what your doing before playing out.
Sadly i firmly believe this will take you much longer than 6 months to even begin to master.

if you want to get real good real fast then i suggest recording some mixes, up to soundcloud and post them on here and take note of the feedback provided and use it as constructive criticism for your development.

hmmm cheers! Yeah I wasn't sure if I was getting a little out of my head with the 6 months, but it's only pencil dated so I guess I'd take the spot anyway (6months waiting list).

And yeah, just getting my recording stuff sorted out on the weekend hopefully, the YouTubes got 34,500+ subscribers so hopefully I'll get some feedback / critisism :D

Thanks for the reply!

youtube is probably not your best option
you need feedback from experienced dj's, not 13 year old trolls

Yea man i agree, 6 months is quite a short amount of time. I would maybe recommend going B2B with someone a bit more experienced for your first set. maybe one of ur mates. it just helps boost confidence if you know that there's someone there to help if something does go drastically wrong. And it is definately worth uploading a few mixes for the forum heads to have a listen and provide feedback. "most" of the people on here are helpfull enough to provide constructive critisism.

try and have a play on the equipment youl have in there, i played for the first time the other day, went from a bog standard cack two channel affair to a million nobbed djm 3000, was interesting.

Also it will sound utterly different when your playing out in the club. you have to pay a lot more attention to levels and stuff.

otherwise what the others have said.. mix mix mix, post here, get feedback, mix mix mix

id agree with the above. I think you have to be extremely confident in your mixing to play out. And i think if it went wrong it would strike your confidence down even more. id wait until the times right

you better get off the internet and on the decks mate, but on the bright side stealth is a wicked venue with a sick funktion 1 system!

ive played out now for many a year and i can say without doubt spawn that u need to definately take heed of the above comments and remember this one rule.

DONT TOUCH THE PLATTER USE YA PITCH!

What? To promote your set there?

Many companies dont realise they dont need to spend thousands on advertising, free is the answer.
Start event on facebook. Invite people. Provide links to your work.

If your good, people will be there. Simple as that.

So you’re running your own event at Stealth? 1st of all, if you have only just got decks, can I recommend NOT playing at the 1st event……get other experienced heads in, these needn’t be expensive either, Nottingham is FULL of talent that don’t charge through the roof……I’d personally recommend Phil from Hustle Audio, heard him play out a few times and never disappoints, as well s the CULT (event at Spanky Van Dykes) regulars…….

For promo of the event, Stealth is usually filled anyway due to its reputation, but if you could get a detonate resident on the night this would help, what with Detonate being the local rave. Most important thing in Nottingham is flyers/posters in the Uni buildings, get the students in the know and they’ll do all your promo for you through word of mouth.

Good luck with it mate, keep me updated with the details and I may come down, I love Stealth…..spend most of my Saturday nights there

don't bother

you're obviously going to clang to fuck and have no hope of doing anything better than detonate and if you do you'll get run out of town.

Stick to the bedroom mate

have fun, thats the most important part of playing at or running a club night, get all your mates down, get their mates down, and have a fuking good party. if your not confident at playing, put yourself on first, keep it simple and have a laugh, then enjoy the rest of the party and watch/listen to the other djs to get ideas of ways to improve. as said already, keep it cheap, the music and the vibe is most important, if its good, you'll get more people n can put ur budget up as word spreads. have fun and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom