Wilkinson's new single 'Heartbeat' ft. P Money & Arlissa

so yeah, this single will come out at 4th august for those who care. album will be out 12th of august according to wilkinson, should be good

Damn I really liked tunes like refugee but this is cringeworthy. Such an obvious attempt at getting on radio 1, who will probably turn their noses up at it. This is what happens when guys like wilkinson who make good underground music with limited crossover appeal try and force out something for a mainstream audience.

Damn I really liked tunes like refugee but this is cringeworthy. Such an obvious attempt at getting on radio 1, who will probably turn their noses up at it. This is what happens when guys like wilkinson who make good underground music with limited crossover appeal try and force out something for a mainstream audience.

I'm pretty sure it's the big boys at ram who are intervening with the style of music their roster are putting out, trying to cash in on what's "hot right now", with the promise of festival headline slots and radio royalties.

It must be hard to turn down a signing from ram, but i think any artist who will put their artistic integrity before the possibility if "BAAAARE P's" will start to think twice before scribbling their name at the bottom of that contract.

personally, i'd much rather put out music i enjoy making that i myself would do some kung-fu skankery to inna da rave (If it wasn't my own tune), and barely scrape a few quid off it, while still working a full-time job I hate. But even then there's other options, make music you love, and make shitty generic pop beats for people under an alias.

I honestly doubt that wilkinson doesn't enjoy what hes doing now and I doubt alot more that ram are forcing them to make pop tunes, god people need to grow up
and this is better than most of the crap that's on the radio so fair play to wikinson, I hope it does well

Oh no, not this bullshit about artists selling their souls to the evil labels which dictate the terms and how their new releases should sound like again. Is it so hard to believe Wilkinson does enjoy making such a stuff himself? Or can't you just get over the fact he doesn't have the same taste in music like you do and don't think so narrow-minded about what to put out and what not?

EDIT: @cele Seems like you've beat me to it, well said :)

Re: Wilkinson's new single 'Heartbeat' ft. P Money & Arlissa

I honestly doubt that wilkinson doesn't enjoy what hes doing now and I doubt alot more that ram are forcing them to make pop tunes, god people need to grow up
and this is better than most of the crap that's on the radio so fair play to wikinson, I hope it does well

I wouldn't say forcing...but definitely influencing

I highly doubt it's a coincidence that a large amount of tunes being put out on their label recently are this 'radio-friendly', given wilkinsons and other ram artists previous output in their early days on ram (which i'm not even a massive fan of), i doubt this is the sort of music they really want to be putting out...other than for DAT CA$H MONIES.

cue ranting rampage from ray rampage

- - - Updated - - -

Oh no, not this bullshit about artists selling their souls to the evil labels which dictate the terms and how their new releases should sound like again. Is it so hard to believe Wilkinson does enjoy making such a stuff himself? Or can't you just get over the fact he doesn't have the same taste in music like you do and don't think so narrow-minded about what to put out and what not?

EDIT: @cele Seems like you've beat me to it, well said :)

that's not what i'm saying at all. But they have a certain level of influence.

I'm not the biggest ram fan, but i at least know they they used to be about putting out forward thinking music that's enjoyable across the board rather than going for that one demographic and forgetting about the heads who have been fans from the start.

It's their label, they can do what they want, all in all i don't really give a shit, i just won't buy releases i don't like...i'm just saying its naive to think the label bosses aren't trying to push it in a direction to maximise profits.

I don't think Andy is the one to push it to the profits at all costs. Fair play if you think that, but to me, it's somehow hardly imaginable. And they still put out forward thinking music enjoyable across the board, in case you haven't noticed. Let me remind you of Gridlok & Prolix single, Chords single, June Miller single or DC Breaks single this year. If you look upon all these as going for that one demographic and forgetting about the heads, then there's clearly something wrong with you.

TBH with tunes like this I think they might enjoy making it to some extent but there definitly is a big money incentive to it looking at previous releases from the artists such as wilkinson, fresh etc, don't know if it is the label/artist and don't care, business is business and at the end of the day the more pop shit that comes out the more money it will bring to the drum and bass scene overall so fair play to them for doing that. Also RAM as mentioned above have had some strong releases this year and a little poppy tune here and there is not affecting the overall quality of DNB being produced at the moment and if anything bringing more people to the scene which creates new idea's to push the genre forward

TBH with tunes like this I think they might enjoy making it to some extent but there definitly is a big money incentive to it looking at previous releases from the artists such as wilkinson, fresh etc, don't know if it is the label/artist and don't care, business is business and at the end of the day the more pop shit that comes out the more money it will bring to the drum and bass scene overall so fair play to them for doing that. Also RAM as mentioned above have had some strong releases this year and a little poppy tune here and there is not affecting the overall quality of DNB being produced at the moment and if anything bringing more people to the scene which creates new idea's to push the genre forward

I do like Swag and the Gridlok and Prolix release, but 85 percent of what RAM puts out is poppy tunes. For example, the Loadster album dnb wise was a huge steaming turd. Warrior and another tune that I can't think of was the only non poppy dnb songs on the album. The other song I am thinking of wasn't even on the regular release.

I'm pretty sure it's the big boys at ram who are intervening with the style of music their roster are putting out, trying to cash in on what's "hot right now", with the promise of festival headline slots and radio royalties.

It must be hard to turn down a signing from ram, but i think any artist who will put their artistic integrity before the possibility if "BAAAARE P's" will start to think twice before scribbling their name at the bottom of that contract.

personally, i'd much rather put out music i enjoy making that i myself would do some kung-fu skankery to inna da rave (If it wasn't my own tune), and barely scrape a few quid off it, while still working a full-time job I hate. But even then there's other options, make music you love, and make shitty generic pop beats for people under an alias.

So, as an example, RAM sign June Miller because they like the stuff they are producing. Then say "We love what you've been making, it's the reason we've signed you, but we want you to be completely different now"

Do you honestly think that's how it works?

So, as an example, RAM sign June Miller because they like the stuff they are producing. Then say "We love what you've been making, it's the reason we've signed you, but we want you to be completely different now"

Do you honestly think that's how it works?

not necessarily, but i think they see that there's great production quality there that they can cash in on from both sides of the spectrum.

i'm by no means saying ram are turning into some kind of evil, profit hungry music industry fatcats...but it just seems that they are pushing for their artists to give them something that they can get on radio 1 daytime.

at least they havn't gone full hospital....yet.

Back
Top Bottom