where do you find your keys?

Nuh.

To do something creative and do it well you need to learn the established techniques and then develop your own style from those techniques.
Everything you just said negates all that.

It's all very
Southpark+_519852e8_02c9_8d6a.jpg

are you reffering to my post? if so please use quote next time.

i do agree 100 % with your post. but i don't see how my post relates to it. because i didn't say anything about creativity in my post. at all. i said that almost anyone can make a really good mix without awesome well established skills, with the help of a computer. that was my point. i didn't say one can make a good and creative mix with the help of a computer. two different things you see.

i don't hink the question is about cheating or not cheating - for me there is no such thing as cheating in dj-ng.

...but aren't we all digging the fantasy of being star dj-s who make perfect mixes? having your tunes all in key sounds better and if you also have them synced perfectly too + add decent trackselection....well then you've got a pretty good mix. and the best part is, that you don't need any skills at all - just a basic knowledge of couple of buttons n faders on the mixer and bars. i bet i could teach a random bloke off the street to dj with a computer in an hour.

some people couldn't do such mixes without this help - it's difficult... you have to know your tunes and you've got to have trained ears and blablablah. but with software you can dig the fantasy. everyone's telling how good your mixes are and say nice things. can't dissapoint them right?

How can you call yourself a DJ? It sounds like your just a button pusher taking advantage of technology. Why don't you get to know your tunes, train your ears and learn to mix well like the majority of us? You might even enjoy it more. Synch buttons and Key mixing isn't Dj'ing. Neither is pre recording or editing, it's all fake and bollocks. I wouldn't bother listening to someones mix if I knew that they had just lined everything up perfect and actually done minimal mixing themselves. When I look at the other members mixes in the Forum, if there's no description of the equipment used to create the mix I won't listen. Whats the point? It's not real DJ'ing it's fake and it's cheating and it has no place in the scene. Do yourself a favor and keep it real. I have more respect for mixes in which I can hear the platter being pushed or touched than some perfect computerized load of shite. Your looking for perfection so your friends say "ah wicked mixing Mate" but the reality is you've done nothing but CHEAT. Shame on you! Now get some practice and upload a real mix.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. knowing the key of your songs is not cheating, just like knowing the bpm of a tune is not cheating. if you think that im sorry but you are full blown retard

ps if you can hear someone touching the platter thats not a good thing.....

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. knowing the key of your songs is not cheating, just like knowing the bpm of a tune is not cheating. if you think that im sorry but you are full blown retard

fully agree. using mixed in key is in no way cheating - I have used it for the past two years and its been great because I don't have the time to practice like I used to. it doesn't automatically mean every mix you do will be a belter; its just a way of working your way through your tunes and trying some combo's (some obvious (similar tunes) and some not so obvious (different style of tunes) without knowing exactly what you will play in your set but it still sound good.

Using a sync button or mixing all tunes that are 174 is a different story, and I really struggle to give anyone who doesn't have to keep 2 tunes locked together with skill and hearing much cudos. It might as well be an ableton live set most of the time...

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. knowing the key of your songs is not cheating, just like knowing the bpm of a tune is not cheating.

This. I know the BPM of some of my tunes or the rough BPM. I still have to move the pitch to match them mostly on 1210s that aren't calibrated...

Next time you post a mix in the Forum, don't forget to mention the fact that it's all Synched perfectly and even in the correct Key. See how many listeners appreciate your hard work and dedication to the scene. Touching the Platter is a very good thing mate, it's part of what DJ's call "Mixing"

Touching the Platter is a very good thing mate, it's part of what DJ's call "Mixing"

it's what i call inexperience.

if you touch the platter to correct pitch issues during the mix. u can hear it.

pitch ride! quick flick of the pitch is more accurate than the bad habbit of touching the platter and sounds less noticable

its just a way of working your way through your tunes and trying some combo's (some obvious (similar tunes) and some not so obvious (different style of tunes) without knowing exactly what you will play in your set but it still sound good.

Mixing by process of elimination..... Not really an art. Hear a song and think in your head what parts would complement another, whether its drums, atmos, synth, bass, vibe etc. Bit of a joke this convo.

it's what i call inexperience.

if you touch the platter to correct pitch issues during the mix. u can hear it.

pitch ride! quick flick of the pitch is more accurate than the bad habbit of touching the platter and sounds less noticable

Your missing the point of what I've said.
I would rather hear real mixing by a real DJ than a perfect mix done by a computer and someone posting it pretending it was done by them.

Your missing the point of what I've said.
I would rather hear real mixing by a real DJ than a perfect mix done by a computer and someone posting it pretending it was done by them.

I get what you mean. I also prefer hearing the odd slip, seems real you can feel the work going into it in a humanising way. But yeh dont touch the platter, pitch ride sounds far smoother.

i don't hink the question is about cheating or not cheating - for me there is no such thing as cheating in dj-ng.

...but aren't we all digging the fantasy of being star dj-s who make perfect mixes? having your tunes all in key sounds better and if you also have them synced perfectly too + add decent trackselection....well then you've got a pretty good mix. and the best part is, that you don't need any skills at all - just a basic knowledge of couple of buttons n faders on the mixer and bars. i bet i could teach a random bloke off the street to dj with a computer in an hour.

some people couldn't do such mixes without this help - it's difficult... you have to know your tunes and you've got to have trained ears and blablablah. but with software you can dig the fantasy. everyone's telling how good your mixes are and say nice things. can't dissapoint them right?

Terrible post. Quite possibly the most offensive post to real DJ's ever in the history of DJ'ing.

Terrible post. Quite possibly the most offensive post to real DJ's ever in the history of DJ'ing.

I agree.

Although i do stand by my post that having the keys of the tunes in front of you massively helps when your just wading through a load of random tunes.

Like i say, mate comes over and gives me some tunes, theyve been run through M.I.K so i know the keys of the tunes, i can now, confidently, work my way through the batch of tunes ive never played and have a nice fun mix without properly clanging because i know nothing about what im playing.

Its also helped when ive been behind the decks at a house party, no other people want to spin for very long, so im stuck on there for like 5 hours, theres no way i can remember 5 hours worth of decent mixes... So in between your favorite mixes you can hop into the folder of tunes that have their keys shown, and then just draw randomly. Worked out well. Found some insane mixes by doing this.

I dont believe its cheating whatsoever really, But it depends how your using it i suppose. If your genuinely, 100% relying on Mixed in Key to find compatible mixes instead of ever finding your own, and then loading them into virtual dj and hitting sync... yeah, thats cheating.

You may as well not be up there. Stick a cd on, shut up and sit down.

Next time you post a mix in the Forum, don't forget to mention the fact that it's all Synched perfectly and even in the correct Key. See how many listeners appreciate your hard work and dedication to the scene. Touching the Platter is a very good thing mate, it's part of what DJ's call "Mixing"

intentionally left this off my original post, i mix on 2/3 1210's and a mixer and have done since i started. I have used mixed in key and even over used it when i was just starting but now appreciate it for a useful tool that can be really helpful if youre lacking any inspiration but really wanna get a mix on.

so no...my mixes wont be sync'd perfectly as much as i want them to be and i probably will draw for tunes that arent quite perfectly in key

Dear real dj (s),

with all due respect, You have absolutely missed my point. my questions were rhetorical and statements sarcastic in some places.
i was more of debating - i don't know what's the right way or wrong way of dj-ng
i'm also sorry to hear that you think i'm a button smasher - perhaps you should listen to my latest mix ( thread title "mix 5").

if you still fail to understand, then let me make it clear to you. i have never used mixed in key or sync buttons. i've used mostly vinyl - at least 5 years.

you should try reading my post again and maybe you can look at it from a different angle. if people want to use these helping
tools and digg their fantasies let them do it...who am i to tell them they're wrong and not real dj-s. it's freedom of choice. i
presonally wouldn't feel ok to use these tools, cause for me it seems lame...but for others it may not seem lame. these opinions are
different, but equal neverthless.

and about this cheating thing:

in order for there to be cheating, there has to be some set of rules first. i take dj-ng like art. is there cheating in art? NO. how
can you even cheat in something liek this. it's impossible, because THERE ARE NO FUCKING RULES written by anyone.

fuck me man, i could write more, but i think the less i write the better, someone probably gonna misunderstand something in my post
anyway. it's proably my own fault.

Last edited:
I think gently touching the vinyl is okay sometimes. I prefer to ride the pitch but if I have it locked for a certain amount of time and it goes slightly out I think its better to give it a little push sometimes instead of moving the pitch.

What a surprise, another tool is listed as cheating.

Remember BPM counters on mixers, CDJs and most recently Traktor/Serato? Give it a few years and everyone will be cool with it. Until then, just practice and enjoy your head-start :)

Back
Top Bottom