when do new tunes become old stale ones?

DankerThanDanson

Retired pitcher
VIP Junglist
when do you think a tune wears out? What would you say? After a solid summer long rinsing at all the shows, gigs, and boat parties?

do the truly great ones ever wear out?

Jump Up - 5 months
Neuro - instantly
All other genres - not

:teeth:

And it's funny going back and listening to stuff from 10+ years ago and it sounds fresh again!

I'd say once a tune has been utterly battered in every mix and at every party, it is time to retire it for an interval.

Maybe the song's cheese factor is in play too. Is it nauseatingly catchy? If so, it's got a shelf life of only a few months, imo. In comparison; many hip hop hits are simple, yet catchy tunes that everyone is sick of by the time the next simple yet catchy one comes out.

And it's funny going back and listening to stuff from 10+ years ago and it sounds fresh again!

I'd say once a tune has been utterly battered in every mix and at every party, it is time to retire it for an interval.

Maybe the song's cheese factor is in play too. Is it nauseatingly catchy? If so, it's got a shelf life of only a few months, imo. In comparison; many hip hop hits are simple, yet catchy tunes that everyone is sick of by the time the next simple yet catchy one comes out.

If you look back, there is a certain period where only jump up was "there" and those tunes are stone cold classics but the stuff that is produced nowadays..apart from the odd catchy riddim..nobody will remember that shit.

If you look back, there is a certain period where only jump up was "there" and those tunes are stone cold classics but the stuff that is produced nowadays..apart from the odd catchy riddim..nobody will remember that shit.

You talking about like Rude Bwoy Monty era?

If the tune is good enough it never gets old I reckon, it’s retro ness sounds appealing

Having said that, I don’t really listen to much before 1995 as it sounds too old for me

If the tune is good enough it never gets old I reckon, it’s retro ness sounds appealing

Having said that, I don’t really listen to much before 1995 as it sounds too old for me

Throwbacks are fun. A well placed throwback can get the place live. Especially if the whole room knows the tune.

I agree with you about the early 90's stuff sounding dated. If you were doing an all '93 set or something they would fit but, otherwise I would be challenged to place them right in a modern set.

They get old before they even come out for those of us who batter the sneaky Russian previews to death:hurr:

I think personal favourites never go stale

But in general the music does go stale quick these days. I just don't think we have the anthems like we used to

My personal touch is to wait until everyone else has stopped playing it, then play it all the time .. cos there's nothing more that punters love hearing a rinsed tune well past it's sell-by date ...

:teeth:

Back
Top Bottom