Vinyl vs Digital debate

I dont mind either to be honest. Sometimes i wonder why i spend all my money on records when i could get mp3's so cheap :/ but i cant afford a CDJ so i will continue to buy vinyl. !

I dont mind either to be honest. Sometimes i wonder why i spend all my money on records when i could get mp3's so cheap :/ but i cant afford a CDJ so i will continue to buy vinyl. !

Thing is tho, if you think £1.30 odd for an MP3, to £6 odd for vinyl... although CDJ's are a heavy inital outlay, mine have more than paid for themselves in saved money.

I got the Denon S3500's a couple of years back and they are wicked to mix on.

denon-dns3500top.jpg

Thing is tho, if you think £1.30 odd for an MP3, to £6 odd for vinyl... although CDJ's are a heavy inital outlay, mine have more than paid for themselves in saved money.

I got the Denon S3500's a couple of years back and they are wicked to mix on.

denon-dns3500top.jpg

Yeah im totally on to getting one in the next year or so hopefully. How much is a second hand one of those then mate? its just when you havent got the cash for one you sort of wana carry on buying new tunes anyway! so if i could get my mitts on just the one CDJ then that would be perfect.

Yeah im totally on to getting one in the next year or so hopefully. How much is a second hand one of those then mate? its just when you havent got the cash for one you sort of wana carry on buying new tunes anyway! so if i could get my mitts on just the one CDJ then that would be perfect.

There is one going on ebay for £340 which aint bad... few people sellin pairs for around the £700 mark. I paid about £1400 for mine brand new.

They have a new range out now that look wicked. Only problem with buying CD decks that aren't Pioneer CDJ's is I now find the pioneers weird to mix on... so for playing out it's not always your best bet.

The new denons look like a vinyl deck actually...

dns3700.jpg

Lets all stop moaning & embrace.

Vinyl or the above?

I DJ Reggae, I love slate, its how I was bought up, way before I even got my 1st decks @ 12 years old...

But can I afford £140 for a 7" one off Tubby press?

Can I fuck...

Hence compilations, CDs & MP3s, because most of my Vinyl Reggae collection is worth so much, its all burnt to MP3 anyway, cus i'm fucked if i'm taking £1000s worth of irreplaceable vinyl to a gig!

If the future is as sleeks as that vid, i'm all for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets all stop moaning & embrace.

Vinyl or the above?

I DJ Reggae, I love slate, its how I was bought up, way before I even got my 1st decks @ 12 years old...

But can I afford £140 for a 7" one off Tubby press?

Can I fuck...

Hence compilations, CDs & MP3s, because most of my Vinyl Reggae collection is worth so much, its all burnt to MP3 anyway, cus i'm fucked if i'm taking £1000s worth of irreplaceable vinyl to a gig!

If the future is as sleeks as that vid, i'm all for it.

Damn, that shit looks like serious fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
how would it be possible to get rid of clicks an pops of a recording? i wouldnt have thought that possible

it is possible to an extent but when you do it you are also effecting other frequencies that might be in the same range as the clicks and pops. the waves bundle has x crackl and x hum which do it. you need to find a balance though between removing clicks and pops and inadvertantly colouring the sound.

cheers to whoever put the link about audio myths. i knew there was a reason i sold my equipment for crack (only joking it was ganja)
peace..

thing is u brag about how cheap it is, mp3 storing mp3 isn't so reliable, even if u back it up. how many times do u hear of people loosing their mp3 collection, producers loosing 5 years of album work etc etc cos their pc/mac gave in... ye u spend 1.30 on 1 tune u buy 200 tunes thats 260 quid and one day ur during a thunderstorm ur pc gets fried and the external plugged into it cos it was still connected, or u get a virus... the second u turn on ur pc ur tunes r in jeopardy even if u dont even touch them...
on the other hand u put ur vinyl away where u store them and the only thing u gotta worry about is a house fire or something.

there is ups and downs to both, and i dont have anything against any other media, but there is also just as many downsides to digital as there is analog

thing is u brag about how cheap it is, mp3 storing mp3 isn't so reliable, even if u back it up. how many times do u hear of people loosing their mp3 collection, producers loosing 5 years of album work etc etc cos their pc/mac gave in... ye u spend 1.30 on 1 tune u buy 200 tunes thats 260 quid and one day ur during a thunderstorm ur pc gets fried and the external plugged into it cos it was still connected, or u get a virus... the second u turn on ur pc ur tunes r in jeopardy even if u dont even touch them...
on the other hand u put ur vinyl away where u store them and the only thing u gotta worry about is a house fire or something.

there is ups and downs to both, and i dont have anything against any other media, but there is also just as many downsides to digital as there is analog

A lot of places you buy MP3's from allow you to re-download them if you lose them (normally limited to a specific number of times)

Online backups?
To be fair if your big in the scene or making a living out of producing / DJing then you should have adiquate backups. Having everything backed up to an external device and online backup should be far safer than storing vinyl. As you say, house fires, people robbing your house etc

If I had to choose, i'd choose vinyl everytime. Much better sound, and more fun to use! I was always dead against mp3/cds, just didn't wnna know lol... But now are there are soooo many tracks that are mp3 only releases, theres Free netlabels & giveaways, plus tunes you get sent. And now i've gotten used to using Serato & CDs in clubs, I like to use vinyl & Mp3s when I play out.

Back
Top Bottom