Vinyl vs Digital debate

I don't DJ so I purchase songs that I like in digital format

If I did DJ I would choose to play vinyl. Such a shame that there seem to be more reasons to go digital as each day passes

i cant imagine mixing tunes any other way than dropping the needle where i want it, Q'ing it up and releasing it, would just feel a bit wierd, other than that any1 else can mix how they feel comfortable.
I can take out my vinyl, admire the artwork without having to have my PC on, spin it in my hands if i choose to play the flip, hell i could smell it if i wanted too, i get to sit all excited waiting for the postie to walk up to my door with some new tunes i've looked forward too since it was released, i get to put it away next to all its brothers and sisters (lol)...
choosing vinyl is the whole drama behind owning, playing and buying it, if your playing out you've just had a fresh dub cut of a brand new monsterous tune, you can hold it up like a medal, show the crowd if u wanted... you aint gonna wave a CD with some shabby hand writing in black marker around r u haha.
Its interactive, its solid in ur hands, and ye, its a inconveniant to store, to lug around, it costs more, in a way its like an elderly loved one, cos dispite all the downsides until it dies you wanna support it as much as u can.

@ Vapour, i bought one of ur test presses of durban poison, i was literaly sat on my doorstep waiting for my postie to walk down the garden path it, and if i ever play out it'd be a tune id be proud to draw out my bag, a solid slab of wax! :P

Haha nothing beats the feeling of getting fresh wax through the post , Find yourself Constantly looking out the window for the postman , Then scanning out his bike looking for the square package , I actually verbally abused my postwoman for not having my tunes one day... now she justs knocks on the door and leaves them on the floor outside. True Story ..... VINYL FTW

Last edited:
I cant believe you lot are all saying "I love getting vinyl through the post", half the experience to me is going into a shop where you know the people who run it and they hook you up with tunes you'll like, might have missed etc etc. Proper previews of the tunes on some decks rather than online...

Its what makes the difference for me...

I cant believe you lot are all saying "I love getting vinyl through the post", half the experience to me is going into a shop where you know the people who run it and they hook you up with tunes you'll like, might have missed etc etc. Proper previews of the tunes on some decks rather than online...

Its what makes the difference for me...

my local record shop doesnt sell drum n bass now its under new management, hardcore, harstyle and the like only realy, no market it for it here... i'm friends with the original owner but thats before i started buying vinyl

Thinks about making heartfelt argument...fails...

Searches for video clip of Hype telling it exactly as it is but link not working...

Fuck it...mp3s rule!

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Durban Poison!!! Finally...Man a' fe die fe manly!

Last edited:
I made my own philosophy on this

"Vinyl is DJing...CDJing is mixing"

gay_buenos_aires.jpg

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Pretty intresting if you got a spare hour or so

and i do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinks about making heartfelt argument...fails...

Searches for video clip of Hype telling it exactly as it is but link not working...

Fuck it...mp3s rule!

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Durban Poison!!! Finally...Man a' fe die fe manly!

well done, followed my template exactly.

I thought it was mine? You're trying to confuse me...

On the plus side wtf was that in the video? £300 for a usb cable...that's some serious audiophiliage!

Last edited:
Right i mix vinyl but as of late am really considering wether to get serato, im fed up of tunes constantly being released on mp3 only, it does my fucking head in, i wait forever for a tune to come out then its on mpfucking3. This makes me seroiusly consider getting a serato setup, Vinyl is slowly dying and it kind of seems to me i need to move with the times now or later.
I want to know the ins and outs of it, is it as bad as people say, should i try and buy second hand or new, how good of a laptop do i need because im currently PC, and i know its always about quality but what are the alternative brands like???

Right i mix vinyl but as of late am really considering wether to get serato, im fed up of tunes constantly being released on mp3 only, it does my fucking head in, i wait forever for a tune to come out then its on mpfucking3. This makes me seroiusly consider getting a serato setup, Vinyl is slowly dying and it kind of seems to me i need to move with the times now or later.
I want to know the ins and outs of it, is it as bad as people say, should i try and buy second hand or new, how good of a laptop do i need because im currently PC, and i know its always about quality but what are the alternative brands like???

Theres quite a few threads on serato and traktor have a search on the forum

all about vinyl and cdjs. saw Hype on saturday and he spent literally 15mins before and after messing about setting his shit up. he then proceeded to play a load of shite :rolleyes:

I've been mixing with vinyl since 95 and CD's since 97,98. I'm not really bothered what format I use to be honest, I just love mixing regardless.

I do love the science behind all this chat, it really puts these purists in their place. To me much prefer the cleanliness of mp3s (I have vinyl, learnt on vinyl and can still mix on vinyl perfectly) but just the crackles and pops in recordings do my nut, plus I can guarantee all the big heads who play vinyl and do mix cds manually get all the pops and clicks removed for re-sale. Don't hear vinyl crackle on Nightlife 5 do we? (Dont hold me to that i'm aint heard it just guessing)

Just my 2

When I started DJing I don't even think CD decks were around (or not common anyway) so I totally agree with everyone about vinyl in terms of going to the record shop, hunting down tunes, etc etc.
I haven't actually mixed vinyl for a few years now and I'm purely digital. I do miss vinyl mixing, but to be fair I hardly even notice now days...

When you can buy something like nightlife 5 and get 40 odd digital tracks for the same price as 1 record in my mind it's a no brainer. I can totally see why people will continue to use vinyl, but it will die out, as will CD mixing, as well MP3 mixing etc etc
Sometimes you just gotta roll with the times.

Back
Top Bottom