to start off with...

JadeD

word up! i'm anthony from holland, and new to this forum. Also very very new in turntables and so on. I was wondering which decks or which brands i should start with? Could someone give me some advice?

JadeD said:
word up! i'm anthony from holland, and new to this forum. Also very very new in turntables and so on. I was wondering which decks or which brands i should start with? Could someone give me some advice?
I know Klusta will agree with me, stay away from Vestax :teeth:

sdm said:
I know Klusta will agree with me, stay away from Vestax :teeth:

Agreed man, you have to have some stone 'hellboy' fists going on to slow them babies down.

JadeD said:
I was wondering which decks or which brands i should start with? Could someone give me some advice?

Technics 1200s. Period.

They're the industry standard, and the vast majority of clubs out there use them in their setup. You can find a used pair of MK2's for as low as $500-600 if you shop around. If you are on a TIGHT budget and absolutely cannot afford them, the Numark TT series is pretty good, just make sure you get the model with the high torque dirct drive motor.

However, if you end up getting serious about DJ-ing and you have the TT's you'll most likely end up wanting to get the 1200s anyways, which is why you should just get a pair of those from the get go. And if you find out that DJ-ing isn't your thing and want to sell the tables, 1200s depreciate very little in value so you won't lose too much of your initial investment, as opposed to the TT's which would unfortunately only sell for peanuts.

Hope this helps :)

Sorry to say it but you have to learn on 1200/1210s if you want to drop vinyl at a club. They also keep their value well.

I still believe though that other manufacturers make better decks that you can progress to after a while - especially if you want to scratch.

The Vestax PDX-2000 tables are great for scratching due to the straight arm and extremely high torque, and it's nice that the 2300's have pitch bend, but the pitch does not hold well on them at all. And since technics are in pretty much all clubs, if you learn on the Vestax it is a totally different feel getting used to the 1200s and it could be very difficult to do the same things out in the clubs on the 1200s that you can do at home on the vestax. The Numark TTX has Key Lock which is AWESOME, but again, the pitch doesn't hold all that well.

Now if technics just made their next 1200 model with key lock and pitch bend, I'd be in heaven :beers:

Back
Top Bottom