Something I've been noticing

Possibly a very high level comment to make here but coming from a vinyl background and mixing back in the 90's generally speaking if you can beatmatch you can play any musical style?? I agree with the comments about building sets and knowing your tunes but if somebody gives you two records of a similar bpm you should be able to mix them if they are 120 bpm or if they are 175bpm.

Back in the early 90's everything was varied from 120 to 150 bpm so if anything it was more complicated working out a set with no pre defined bpm's or systems working this stuff out for you!

These days with digital production tracks are made on a precise bpm so much easier to mix.

On the topic of dubstep 90% of it is produced at 140bpm precisely so I always found it ridiculously easy to mix!
This!

I've got alot of friends who dj, most of them are dnb dj's but there are alot of techno/trance/house/electro/even edm dj's too and I decided to try out something... Everytime I went to their place here's what I did: Asked the dnb dj's to mix some trance/techno/dubstep, and the result was fine, they mixed it with no problem. Of course they didn't do it like techno dj's do it, full of loops and effects and stuff, but the basic mixing was done, 2 tunes playing, perfectly beatmatched.

But when I asked the other genre dj's to mix 2 simple drum and bass tunes, it was impossible. Almost 1 hour trying, and they can't. They just can't beatmatch. Gave them 2 tunes with the beat from the beggining (Alix Perez - Underprint and The Tube VIP from Spectrasoul) to make it even easier and they couldn't mix them.

Decided to do this because when I'm at home I try to mix alot of different genres (not edm tho), just some techno, trance, dubstep, even hard techno some times, for fun, and I noticed that it always goes great, as I said before, no effects and loops, just the basic stuff on mixing.

What are your thoughts on this?

But can the Drum and Bass djs put both hands in the air, whilst chewing gum and looking kool, while keeping the mix tight whilst the mixer is unplugged, and all from the bedroom being filmed and played back to a 50,000 strong crowd in the middle of Serbia????

Lots of good points.

I'd agree with Moskit that reggae is probably the toughest genre to DJ. It's a lot more about selection as to mix it is virtually impossible.

I generally find anything slower than dnb is much easier to mix. I over the years have got so used to hearing everything so quickly and having to react quickly, when you mix dubstep, house, techno it almost feels like I have time to react, EQ a little more etc.

Everyone knows hip hop is the hardest genre to get right properly

I'd agree with Moskit that reggae is probably the toughest genre to DJ

Hip hop & Reggae when made with samples, breaks, live instruments etc aren't necessarily quantized so you can get as close as possible but can't guarantee a perfect match.

I have a friend who plays a lot of old funk & soul and he's warped a lot of it in ableton to allow him to mix the stuff better.

Everyone knows hip hop is the hardest genre to get right properly

Though for me it's a piece of piss

youre black, thats a necessity. same with rapping.
Hip hop & Reggae when made with samples, breaks, live instruments etc aren't necessarily quantized so you can get as close as possible but can't guarantee a perfect match.

I have a friend who plays a lot of old funk & soul and he's warped a lot of it in ableton to allow him to mix the stuff better.

this. reggae and hip hop are hardest to mix. no cue points, no set bpm as with most "edm" and fullllll of vocals you dont want to clash.

Hardest genre that is generally mixed, for me, has to be reggae... Huge variation in bpm across the spectrum, vocals, pitchshifts within tunes etc... Selection & tune knowledge is key.

This b2b Hip Hop

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine, in your head, you said that in that ascending tone toward the end of the statement like you were asking a question type thing, you were talking about on fb...

:teeth:

I fucking hate it when people do that.

Few of my mates have moved down to London and all developed this thiing? Where, everything, sounds like a question? (me attempting to type the style of speak)

Back
Top Bottom