so I'm really having trouble beat matching

fserna

VIP Junglist
shit sucks.. i should just quit!, but i prefer not to and continue to do so!, but another thing.. what's easier to mix or should I ask what's your opinion on what you would prefer to mix with? decks vs's cdj's.. and why?

nah don't quit, it gets easier with practice.

I started mixing over a year ago and i still have problems getting stuff locked every now and then... but f**k it, its just for fun so don't worry about it :)

IMO vinyl is the best place to start as you see what you are doing as much as you can hear it. Once you've got a good ear for it then try cd decks, serato etc.

So what is the problem you are having then? The biggest lesson I learnt over the last year is that you need to continually monitor & adjust, once you get stuff matched they will probably drift so keep on adjusting it as soon as it starts to go out.

Mate I felt the same way, I bought my decks and thought fuck I've just wasted my money after a week or so... Just keep at it, its just a case of learning to seperate two tracks in your head. But it will come to you, it just takes time.

Anyway Vinyl is better to mix with. I dunno why it just feels like thats the way you should mix tunes, I'm not to keen on all this digital stuff, although I will probly invest in a cdj one day as I can play dubs, an maybe my tunes if I make some that way. But yeah nothing like the feel of a vinyl when you cueing up, an I enjoy beatmatching by ear, an not looking at a bpm counter. I supose it prefrence tho, although I find in dnb more dj's use vinyl than in genres such as house, techno, trance etc..

yeah, i find it easier to beat match w/ vinyls because i can push/pull the vinyl, move the needle to whichever part in the song, etc. i feel like i have more control actually.

sometimes i feel like i got it match and then it drifts.. a buddy has told me that i have it match when i'm bringing it in, but then loose it all of a sudden.. i also just purchased some new decks about a week ago since i wanted to upgrade, but i guess i have my days.. hell no do i wanna quit, but that's how i feel

oh yeah i'm using a pionner djm 400 mixer, but it's also kinda hard for me to hear whats going on within my headphones.. any tips on this?

na bro not that.. like i have channel two playing and i'm trying to cue it a bit so i can release when a bar begins to help me try and match up the snares right? but sometimes when i have the headphones on both ears and am trying to hear whats going on... like i hear on one side for example whats playing with both channels on then on the other ear i sometimes hear whats on channel two? throws me off i believe

make sure the volume in your headphones pretty much match the level that is playing outloud. so dont practice too loud or else u gotta crank the levels and u'll go deaf. then just practice; practice listening to 2 things at once. it sounds vague and hard but you will get it eventually. maybe even cut the highs so you hear only snares/kicks, just to get the feel of the beat(s)

Search for the thread on pitch riding - it was around in the last week or so, if you ride the pitch more or less continuously or even every 30 seconds or so throughout the mix you can stop the tunes drifting so much. Up until christmas i matched by slowing the platter with my hand, but pitch riding i find is a lot more accurate

well get 2 vinyls. leave 1 playing and on the second find the start of the song (easier if it starts with a beat) and find the 1st point of that song. listen to the other vinyl and listen to the 4/4 beat. when the bar has ended push the other vinyl and uve prettymuch got em beatmatched alredy. just gotta edit the pitch a bit here and there and ur ready to crossfade it in ;)

Search for the thread on pitch riding - it was around in the last week or so, if you ride the pitch more or less continuously or even every 30 seconds or so throughout the mix you can stop the tunes drifting so much. Up until christmas i matched by slowing the platter with my hand, but pitch riding i find is a lot more accurate

I've seen that video before actually not to long ago.. think I need to see it again..I would like to dj and do this as a hobby here at home and at little parties with friends/kicbacks, but I know I need to match more accurate... I'll have a look again

Also mate get on djtutor.com (or search youtube for 'ellaskins'), that guy has done some wicked videos that explain everything from the basics to more complex stuff like phasing and beat juggling.

well get 2 vinyls. leave 1 playing and on the second find the start of the song (easier if it starts with a beat) and find the 1st point of that song. listen to the other vinyl and listen to the 4/4 beat. when the bar has ended push the other vinyl and uve prettymuch got em beatmatched alredy. just gotta edit the pitch a bit here and there and ur ready to crossfade it in ;)

first point of the song? as in the first snare?

Also mate get on djtutor.com (or search youtube for 'ellaskins'), that guy has done some wicked videos that explain everything from the basics to more complex stuff like phasing and beat juggling.

yeah man I've also seen them vids also *well some of them*, but I think I just over think this who beat matching... so I've been told, but I'm trying to understand the concept of it in general to get a better feel so when they are both matched up nicely within the headphones

if u have a headphone cue knob/cue fader, make sure its pushed all the way to the channel u wanna hear in your 'phones so youre not hearing both channels in 'em.

Back
Top Bottom