Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Any good for production?

Ive been using the hd25's for about a year n im deffo happy with them, still sounding as good as they did when i bought them.
I don't have any monitors so I'd like to think these cans are a worthy substitute.

However as with all forms of speakers/headphones, you need to learn them and how a good track is supposed to sound.

own a pair and love em. wouldnt use them production but they're always there as another medium to see how your mix sounds

read an interview with Misanthrop, who uses them in production to check panning

They are great headphones (I use them for DJng) but not really ideal for studio work.

They are designed for monitoring sound in fair enough quality in loud enviroments, and at that they're very good. They are widely used by airline pilots, DJ's, sound technicians, etc... Good build as well, but easily start hurting your ears in longer sessions as they push against your head quite firmly.

For production the main problem is that they are what you call "closed end headphones". This is to keep outside sound from intervening, but it puts big limitations on the internal acoustics of the headphone.

For production you should get open ended headphones. They won't silence the outside world and they will leak some sound outside as well. But they will sound much better and are usually designed to be used in long sessions so they won't start hurting your ears after half an hour.

Sennheiser makes some really good studio headphones as well and my personal favourite brand is Grado.

Have a look at my blog post on the same topic (it seems someone already linked to it): http://www.resoundsound.com/weekly-tip-23-headphone-magic/

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

I might add though that if you're looking for good "all around" multi-use headphones then they are definitely not a bad choice. But if you need great headphones for studio work only, there are much better options around for the same price.

A mate of mine picked up the KRK headphones. I've got the Senn's and I'll put my hands up the KRKs blow them out the water. It's literally like having a pair of monitors strapped to the side of your head. I think they're around the same price too.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

I've heard other big names suggest them as well

Big names other than yourself?

I like them alot. I think they sound nice.

I'm also gonna save and buy some Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro's as well though.

The translation from the 25's to my Rokits is somewhat, strange.

I like them alot. I think they sound nice.

I'm also gonna save and buy some Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro's as well though.

The translation from the 25's to my Rokits is somewhat, strange.

Agreed. The KRKs definitely pick out certain frequencies that the senns don't.

Back
Top Bottom