Scratching...

jus get a vestax scratch mixer then get sum scratch vinyl
and your off. mite take a while to get tho, im still learnig an been tryin for 2 yrs
so is there really something like scratching vinyl or can you do it with any vinyl ? and does it do any damage to the vinyl when you scratch it ?

so is there really something like scratching vinyl or can you do it with any vinyl ? and does it do any damage to the vinyl when you scratch it ?

"Scratch Vinyl" just means refers to what is on the record - scratch vinyl are records which contain all the most commonly used scratch sounds (and some beats too) like beep curr, fresh, scratch, ah yeah etc - they're samples that you here turntabalists scratching all the time - If you want to learn to scratch you pretty much need at least one of these...

Hee Haw breaks, on Dirt Style records (reccomended by Fes) is good, check out anything on dirtstyle really though - the've mostly all got the most commonly used samples on there...

You can scratch with other records too though - the actual type of vinyl is no different!

And what kind of needle is the best to use for scratching ?

There's tons of carts and needles out there for scratching, Sure (M447's I think?) are the ones that turntablists traditionally use, but there's loads of signature ones out there from other maufacturers too e.g. scratch perverts etc

Ok thanks mate ! but can I use my standard needle from my Dap audio t-3000 turntables to? or is this not recommended at all? because at the moment money is a problem so I have to wait a few months to buy a decent scratch needle but I don't want to wait with practising.

Ok thanks mate ! but can I use my standard needle from my Dap audio t-3000 turntables to? or is this not recommended at all? because at the moment money is a problem so I have to wait a few months to buy a decent scratch needle but I don't want to wait with practising.

Yeah you can although you might find that it skips quite a lot - so in order to keep the needle on the record you have to turn the weight right up, or even do the dreaded "blu tack a penny on top of the headshell" trick, this isn't advised as it really wears down your vinyl, but if you don't give a fuck about your vinyl, or are scratching with stuff that aint so precious then it's fine...

Lots of scratch DJ's have the weight turned right up on the needle, or do the penny on top thing, but their records end up sounding like shit, but this isn't a massive problem as sound quality isn't the top of a scratch DJ's list of priorities, in fact they often sound like shit!

Yeah you can although you might find that it skips quite a lot - so in order to keep the needle on the record you have to turn the weight right up, or even do the dreaded "blu tack a penny on top of the headshell" trick, this isn't advised as it really wears down your vinyl, but if you don't give a fuck about your vinyl, or are scratching with stuff that aint so precious then it's fine...

Lots of scratch DJ's have the weight turned right up on the needle, or do the penny on top thing, but their records end up sounding like shit, but this isn't a massive problem as sound quality isn't the top of a scratch DJ's list of priorities, in fact they often sound like shit!

lol , but I don't think I'm going to use the penny-trick (my vinyls are to much worth for me ) I'm just going to turn my weight right up .
Thanks for the advice !

i think most of the q-bert dvd is on youtube...so dont buy that shit ;p -the dj shortee video's are good for tutorial as well...
...also, dont forget to put little pieces of tape in the hole of the record otherwise the needle will jump everywhere! i dont care how good they are...also, uber-slick slip mates...and you know that see-threw clear stuff that records come in? it's under the main sleeve and it is really slick so cut it into a circle and throw it under your slip mates too....hmmmmmm, what else.....oh, dont forget that scratching as about having fun and grooving along with the music you are playing...as if you were part of the band doing improvisational work (very jazz like in essence;) ...so don't get all technical & "look what I can do & look how fast i am" ...nobody likes that nonsense...

Back
Top Bottom