Scratching...

Q-Bert has a video, i cant remember what its called but if you google it, it should come up...its pretty wicked he goes over every scratch from basic to the most difficult and he shows you how to do it and then gives you little tips on how to learn it...you can select from multiple camera angles so you can see every hand movement he makes and there even a part were he does the scratch and then he pauses so you can do it and then he does another and another and you can go back and forth doing the scratches with him after you learn them..super useful video and probably the easiest way to learn how..
There are also these record packs called scratch lessons i think theres a vol1 thru 5 and it comes with 2 records and a book for you to follow along with.

Q-Bert has a video, i cant remember what its called but if you google it, it should come up...its pretty wicked he goes over every scratch from basic to the most difficult and he shows you how to do it and then gives you little tips on how to learn it...you can select from multiple camera angles so you can see every hand movement he makes and there even a part were he does the scratch and then he pauses so you can do it and then he does another and another and you can go back and forth doing the scratches with him after you learn them..super useful video and probably the easiest way to learn how..
There are also these record packs called scratch lessons i think theres a vol1 thru 5 and it comes with 2 records and a book for you to follow along with.

Cheers for the info matey :2thumbs:

Much appreciated

yeah, q berts do it yourself scratching.

goes through everything about how to set up decks and look after your needles and all that. pretty sweet little vid.

it's so so hard though :(

dude, learn on your own. Take no shorts...you can watch q-bert all u want...but your still not gonna be able to do it. Start off easy with some chirps. And get a copy of Hee-Haw Breaks. A Dirt Style record

yeah, q berts do it yourself scratching.

goes through everything about how to set up decks and look after your needles and all that. pretty sweet little vid.

it's so so hard though :(

Big up for the info man :)

dude, learn on your own. Take no shorts...you can watch q-bert all u want...but your still not gonna be able to do it. Start off easy with some chirps. And get a copy of Hee-Haw Breaks. A Dirt Style record

(y) Ok man, cheers for the advice

make sure u have a mixer with a scratch setting too ..otherwise u will snap your thumbs trying to do some of the scratches with a standard fader

Save up and get a Urei 1601 and then go to a car boot sale and buy/steal/find some random old records...
Kids' "Storytime" kinda vinyls are perfect, you'll find all kinds of awesome samples and stuff on them and they won't set you back as much as vinyl pressed specifically for scratch purposes...
That and you'll want some scratch needles too...
Not so confident on which ones exactly, Tonar Baktraks are pretty good from my experience but I'm sure there's better...
Most importantly, enjoy yourself and don't get pissed off if it sounds crap for a while!

best thing , that u always need is , a decent pair of decks , and the most imperative is , propper needles , ones that dont jump all the time , I and most turntablists use SURE M447`s , thier very , very good 4 scratching , and gripping the record !!!!!!! if you need tutorials on anything its always best to check out UTUBE , loads of great stuff on there , but the main thing that u have to do is "PRACTICE HARD" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rowley::boobies::gun:

Don't agree mate.

The QBert DVD will jump start you. You might try for a couple of years on your own to learn the shit that QBert will teach you in a couple of weeks/months.

i tought myself one of the hype scratches off of the andy c and hype fabriclive cd...i jus cant do it as fast as him....if u have a good ear then listen to a scratch sample n have a go at trying to recreate it

practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice,
practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice,
practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice practice, practice, practice....

and more practice.

recommend the Qbert DIY DVD. its good to see how he moves his hands. buying books about scratching is not helpful at all IMO.
S'all about getting your hands used to moving in certain ways; becoming dextrous.
Ive been teaching myself to scratch for the past year and a half, ive just reached the point where I can crab.

best thing I ever did was practice everyday

Back
Top Bottom