"Reverse Sidechaining"

Couldn't you frequency split your kick to two channels, lower and higher and sidechain the lower channel to duck when the sub hits? Have the split at 80-90 hz or where-ever suits.

Yeah you can do that.

But using an EQ with a sidechain is much faster and accurate.

Fuck it, I just automated the EQ..

It just would've been so fricken awesome to make it take care of it on its own..

Okay so since I assume you are working with FL Studio. here is your answer since I get the idea that you want to do this the hard way:

First put your drumloop or in your case the kickdrum on let's say FX channel 1, put the sub bass on a different FX channel so let's say number 2. Now you want the sub frequencies cut out of the kick when the sub plays, so add a Parametric EQ 2 on FX channel one. Now add the peak controller to FX channel 2. Now on the Peak Controller turn the 'BASE' knob to 50% first. Open up the Parametric EQ and look for the first frequency band, there should be a frequency knob below the band as well as an 'Bandwidth' (BW) knob. Turn the bandwith up or down a little to about 35% so it's nice and steep and during the cut it will add a little low-mids to the kick to make up for the lost sub-bass, if you don't want this just leave the BW as it is.

Now comes the tricky part, right click the slider from band 1 that's above the frequency and BW button and hit 'link to controller', go to internal controller and select the Peak Controller in here (PEAK). Now left to 'mapping formula' click the little arrow and select 'inverted'. Last but not least go to the Peak Controller and deselect the mute button on the bottom right.

DONE, if you press play you'll see the sub EQ band on the kick channel ducking down when the sub is and going up when the sub is not playing. Cheerss. Although I prefer the more easier methods posted above.

Last edited:
There's no other way for me to say this without it coming across extremely homosexual......but I'm gonna say it anyway....

@ lostnthesound - Although you havnt been a member of this community for very long, I find almost all of your posts to be valuable resources of information for people just starting out, and also to some of us more seasoned guys too. You refuse to get involved in the ridiculous tomfoolery that overtakes some of us at random intervals, and you are always on point with the subjects being discussed.

You sir, are a valuable member of the dnbforum family, and I hope you stick around for a very long time.....this place needs more people like you!

/gayness

Lost is a man of pure class and audio genius. Best production partner anyone could ask for. Our next 2 upcoming tunes are the sickest we have done and he deserves about 90% of the credit for them - but he'll never take it.

(sorry for the hijack)

I think it would be possible if you just sidechain and make the sub be the dominant one. I could be wrong if the sidechaining cuts higher freq's from the kick too but it's probably all about the way of sidechaining, threshold, it's knee and ratio..

Back
Top Bottom