Recent Buys

D-Jhepz

◕‿◕
VIP Junglist
Rather proud i moved on from the built in plug ins finally - may have gone slightly overboard but hey

list your software, hardware buys.

komplete 9
alchemy
camel crush
phoscyon
toraverb

The last 2 are on a offer atm and i really enjoy the both of them quite a lot, the phoscyon is a 303 acid bassline sort of them i fucking love it fucking around it :D

also just bought emperor and centra sample packs bare excited to see wat agwan in these

Cakewalk Z3TA+2 (50% off sale)
Inear Display Gorgon (Distortion)
Satson Sonimus
Ohmicide Predatohm (66% off sale)

also bought a preset bundle pack for Massive, Absynth and FM8 which was on offer.

Really want Alchemy Complete. Camel Audio need to have a sale :rolleyes:

Picked up an access virus c the other week. The pads are lush and in minutes youve got mad reeces. Also a pair of ns-10s that my parents dont use anymore, equipped with a sub its unreal.

Recently bought an SSL G series bus compressor clone. A/B tested against the original and in blind testing you would not hear the difference. When you think the original version is £2600 and we picked up a clone for £450 same circuitry it's a bit of a bargain

Academic version of REAPER, excellent DAW and about a tenth the price of cubase.
Downside is you have to add your own instruments + FX, but I brought synthmaster 2.6 academic too. That's bargin considering it's as powerful as massive or zebra, but five times cheaper and the sound is great.

Then there's a load of free plugins that are great: some of the ones that come with computer music magazine (about £6) are lovely, ADM cm is as good as the real thing but with no 909 or 808 drum sounds. That doesn't matter to me at all, because I load my own samples (all of which I also found free online :D)

Cumulus is a handy beat slicer, Ambience and KR reverb cm are good for reverb, camelcrusher has already been mentioned, I got the free bluecat phaser, flanger, chorus and freq. analysist.
Also just found a nice EP emulator, clavia lab, which sounds like an acient electric piano, rhodes, clavinet etc. All those are 100% free

All in all, I think I can do anything I want, plus loads extra, for under £100.

i just got my annual bonus from work not long ago and decided to sink that into a virus snow. i already had another keyboard synth that i use for a keyboard and i planned on using the total integration vst for programming sounds so i don't even use the few buttons/knobs the snow does have except for the 3 assignable knobs. i use those as an alternative to automation sometimes, i assign them to control whatever i want from basic parameters to modulation then send midi to it and record the output in my daw. instead of mouse-clicking a ton of times i just twist the knob in real-time. it's so versatile that it's already become my workhorse synth. i actually uninstalled ni massive a couple days after buying the virus once i realized that for my purposes, massive was no longer needed.

now comes the rant:
ni massive was a necessary evil in my life b/c i loved its modulation/routing/wavetable but i hate the sound quality of massive on 90% of the sounds i'm trying to make. so i'd use massive to be able to make heavily modulated sounds but then trying to make it sound acceptable was something i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. unless i layer massive with another/different synth, then it'd require a frustrating/tiring amount of processing. it'd require a LOT of eq'ing and filters, to the point of being a nightmare. countless hours of slapping in plugin after plugin after plugin onto massive's signal chain. the first night i got the virus i spent a few hours learning where everything was, then took a stab at making a few sounds and the excitement really started to set in then. i was remembering all those hours i'd sit frustrated at massive's sound quality, processing the hell out of it just to get it to sound acceptable; either just wishing that massive sounded better or wishing that i had a quality synth with the features of massive that i loved so much. but even the wavetable index modulation in massive sounds like crap sometimes. sometimes massive sounded fine and sometimes the morph from one waveform to another waveform on the index of the same wavetable oscillator would just sound messy, it depended on the speed of the modulation, the shape of the modulating lfo, and the octave you play the sound at i think. now i've had the time to really get acquainted with the virus' waveforms and the wavetable morphing sounds so smooth. the virus turned out to be exactly what i was looking for, a versatile synth that i'd use a lot of modulation on and has acceptable sound quality without having to slap a million different plugins on it. now that i've had time to dive deep into it, i've realized just how much more it can do that i didn't realize and even though it's no moog slim phatty, mopho, or other monophonic analog synth when it comes to bass sounds, i couldn't be happier with this purchase. i just love the sound that comes out of it and love all the possibilities it can do. i've read from a lot of peope that the virus just can't do grimey bass sounds and they sound flat. but i've actually just recently created the best sounding reeses/etc i've ever made on my new virus. prior to getting the virus i'd say that fm8 was hands-down my go-to synth for any aggressive midrange bass. the virus was gonna be my synth for everything but bass, i was gonna keep using fm8 for that. i was really shocked at how i was pumping out better reeses on the virus, just programming them on the fly, and they sounded better than my best reeses on fm8. i fuckin love this thing.

Shitstorm is expected, but: I pirate all of my software. Unless you are a big producer raking in loads of money then you can't afford all of the best Vst's and plugins in a short time.

If you can't afford them, then you can't have them.

Do you apply the above logic to expensive cars?

Shitstorm is expected, but: I pirate all of my software. Unless you are a big producer raking in loads of money then you can't afford all of the best Vst's and plugins in a short time.

The irony being that most VST's are coded with the same DSP code written back in the 80's and earlier, there are many an article about why the Waves CLA series is really NO better Ableton's stock plug-ins, other than the pretty picture GUI you get to look at.

Well, as you said you expected a shitstorm but I can't help but comment. What I really don't understand is how many people probably do this yet want/expect to get paid for their music/work? The people that write this stuff need to earn a living too.

Thanks for the recommendations earlier in this thread, don't think my wallet can afford more spend though !! :)

I agree with DJ whizzkid.
It's not like you need the industry leading software to produce music. As I already said, I got all the software and samples I need for under £100. I was being really stingy, but you could definiately get enough decent software for £200-£300.

That's right you don't need the best software out there to make music, but, do you really think that the big producers, I use that loosely, got to where they are without using top-of-the-line software? I haven't heard of a big producer that doesn't use all of the big and expensive plugins/Vst's.

And I bet a fair amount have alot of cracked software loaded onto their computer as well

Oh of course some do, for example, just the other day someone posted in the Waffle about a vid with Steve Aoki collabing with Linkin Park. When they showed his PC screen for a second it showed he had a cracked version of Sylenth1, lol. Pirating software goes world-round no matter how big of a person you are, but most of the bigger producers will buy software because if their fans find out they are pirating everything they make their tunes with, they lose respect.

Same happened with Avicci :lol:

I fall on the side of, if you are making money out of the softwares you should buy it.

Audio also pirates, judging by that Headroom tutorial video :D.

In essence, it also points out how incredibly expensive some DAWs and Plugins are, I just spent over 400 euros to buy an upgrade for Cubase, whilst some DAWs go for a fraction of that.
Same with plugins really, the average one costs you an arm and a leg to buy.

I mean fuck, whole reason FL is the most popular DAW on the planet (next to ableton) is because it's easy as fuck to pirate.

Audio also pirates, judging by that Headroom tutorial video :D.

In essence, it also points out how incredibly expensive some DAWs and Plugins are, I just spent over 400 euros to buy an upgrade for Cubase, whilst some DAWs go for a fraction of that.
Same with plugins really, the average one costs you an arm and a leg to buy.

I mean fuck, whole reason FL is the most popular DAW on the planet (next to ableton) is because it's easy as fuck to pirate.

Most plugins are extremely overpriced for what they are.

A huge amount of work goes into a DAW though, alot more people to pay $$$, than a crappy emulation of a TLA compressor

Back
Top Bottom