Recent Buys

This same conversation is waging over at DOA, and it's been agreed that it's literally easier to pirate plug-ins than to buy them legit. Usually with buying them you run the risk of having to remember ur keycodes 'n' that, plus a lot of them nowadays use the hardware dongles/iLok's which is just completed wasted USB space. So, while it doesn't seem to have made pirating software anymore difficult (maybe you have to wait a few extra weeks for crack copies to come out), it sure as shit has made purchasing them legally much more frustrating & complicated.

This same conversation is waging over at DOA, and it's been agreed that it's literally easier to pirate plug-ins than to buy them legit. Usually with buying them you run the risk of having to remember ur keycodes 'n' that, plus a lot of them nowadays use the hardware dongles/iLok's which is just completed wasted USB space. So, while it doesn't seem to have made pirating software anymore difficult (maybe you have to wait a few extra weeks for crack copies to come out), it sure as shit has made purchasing them legally much more frustrating & complicated.

Well thats the thing, it is much easier to pirate anything imo.

The best way I can see it working for the developers and the end users is if the software is leased to you per day of use. That way you can set up your account with the developer and just click pay when you need a 24h (or howerver long you want) licence.

Academic version of REAPER, excellent DAW and about a tenth the price of cubase.
Downside is you have to add your own instruments + FX, but I brought synthmaster 2.6 academic too. That's bargin considering it's as powerful as massive or zebra, but five times cheaper and the sound is great.

the "academic" versions aren't hindered in any way? If I remember correctly, Cubase, and FL academic versions are cut short in some ways.

^^ steven slate stuff...
but yer. i remember searching for a particular plugin ...and the 1st result was a warez link

Well thats the thing, it is much easier to pirate anything imo.

The best way I can see it working for the developers and the end users is if the software is leased to you per day of use. That way you can set up your account with the developer and just click pay when you need a 24h (or howerver long you want) licence.

Literally the long-term business model for the VST company I'm planning on having rolling by the end of the year. Well, not exactly the same; mine will be more of a yearly subscription for unlimited access to all of our products, but you get the idea. Obviously there are other perc packages/incentives that'll go along with it; but I'm sure you'll be hearing about it more as I start getting the ball rolling over the next few months.

the "academic" versions aren't hindered in any way? If I remember correctly, Cubase, and FL academic versions are cut short in some ways.

The non-commercial version of Reaper isn't any different than the commercial version, they just want people making lots of money using it to pay a bit more. A bit more is still less than most other DAWs. I think only Logic and some versions of FL are less than the most expensive Reaper license.

If Reaper had a muti-sampler built in I don't think I'd have ever switched to Ableton. I still like the routing and mixdowns in Reaper more than Ableton, I'm just too lazy to bounce stuff down to mix in a different DAW.

Yea I checked the different licenses on their site. I will probably pay for the license soon. Otherwise, my last music prod purchase was Poise vst. A pretty badass, cheap alternative to maschine or an mpc. Especially if you alrdy have a controller to put to use.

My copy of FL is cracked...but when i have the money to spend on software, i'll buy it, or a different DAW.

I don't think being poor should stop people from partaking in a hobby, but if you have the money to spend on it, do. I also see no problem with people starting out cracking the software, it's silly to spend hundreds on some 1's and 0's when you don't know if it's something you'll enjoy or stick with.

The only cracked VST I use is Massive, and I don't use that very much. Other than that I stick to native and free plugins.

No, not at all. In this case academic version is different to demo version. There is a limited demo version of Synthmaster, which is free, but the academic version is unlimited.

Downside is you have to prove you're a student, and with REAPER you're not allowed to make any money from it.

No, not at all. In this case academic version is different to demo version. There is a limited demo version of Synthmaster, which is free, but the academic version is unlimited.

Downside is you have to prove you're a student, and with REAPER you're not allowed to make any money from it.

ah ok. well I read on reaper's site that you can't make more than $20k or 2k a year off your music/media from reaper. I know I will defo not be makin that much :/

I got my hands on new Pro Logic X and I'm pretty happy with the software.
Apart from that I only got some sample packs from Lucid Samples website here
People should give a chance to some products there, I'm interested mainly with minimal and trip hop, hip hop concerned.

I recently purchased Sugar Bytes Cyclop ... been digging it. And here is Torley playing with it for your entertainment ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's actually a lot of fun to work in. I haven't tried the game yet though. But the effects you can do to the sounds is fantastic!

The non-commercial version of Reaper isn't any different than the commercial version, they just want people making lots of money using it to pay a bit more. A bit more is still less than most other DAWs. I think only Logic and some versions of FL are less than the most expensive Reaper license.

If Reaper had a muti-sampler built in I don't think I'd have ever switched to Ableton. I still like the routing and mixdowns in Reaper more than Ableton, I'm just too lazy to bounce stuff down to mix in a different DAW.

Use Shortcircuit. It's free, and it seems like a quality multi-sampler. I haven't used it much yet, but it seems good.

I think if you're making money off of your music you should pay for the software you use. If it's a hobby and for shits and gigs maybe it's alright. Although having said that if you pay for something you always try and get the best out of it.

Maybe buying software will actually help you improve your production skills and work ethic.

Maybe buying software will actually help you improve your production skills and work ethic.

This and I think it goes double for buying hardware; especially if it's something big like a big modular collection or something I currently can only dream of owning, an Alesis A6 Andromeda; my god that's a glorious synth, but I ain't got $5,000 to just shell out on that.

Back
Top Bottom