Playing out pirated/illegally downloaded music

velos

Hi guys,

Just wondered what peoples views were on playing out pirated/illegally downloaded music, if it's unreleased stuff?

I don't mean stuff that's due for release, but if you can get hold of DJ only VIPs, bootlegs, and stuff that isn't due for release.

Yo.
I would say it depends where you're playing. If it's a big event you are playing at, you run the risk of there being artists that know these VIPs/Bootlegs/Dubs etc. and know that you could have only grabbed them on the sly (pirated/illegal). If it's a smaller event and you feel that it's the right time to play the tunes then go for it, they will probably go down a treat.

Not very clever imo.

You can get away with it.

But if you get caught, you will eternally scour the depths of doom and despair, striving for forgiveness, moaning and groaning in pain and in vain.

Howling with the wolves of the night.

I've not done it I'd like to add! Was talking to a mate about it, and he made what I thought was a good point that if it's unreleased, it's not pulling money away from the artists, which is what the whole piracy/download debate circles around. I agree with him on that level, just wasn't sure on peoples thoughts.

BTW, I have never encountered a music scene that acts so pretentious when it comes to tunes that don´t come out.

Not talking about bootlegs or unofficial shit - the reasons here are obvious.

It´s more about being a twat :D

Yeah just don't bother. You shouldn't be downloading pirated music in the first place.

I still don't understand why people are willing to spend £100 on a pair of trainers but won't spend £8 on an album.
If it hasn't been released... The fact that the tune has been leaked is probably the reason why it hasn't been released.

I've been sent bits and been told by the producer not to play them out. Obviously I wont if they ask me not to, but if its a small crowd its not very likely Loxy or Presha are going to be in the audience wondering why the DJ has got their latest release a few months in advanced.
IMO, if you've acquired stuff from a label boss or even better, the producer himself, and he hasn't said dont play it, go for it.

The whole recording a mix with unreleased/forthcoming tracks is another story though, not usually a great move and I often ask an artist if I can record with it. More often than not they say no...

Back
Top Bottom