Overthinking beatmatching

Im not fucking about riding the pitch until the tune is in the mix. If the upfader isnt up, i'll manipulate the record/platter as much as i want lol. But once the tunes in the mix, i'll stick to the pitch.

:word:

This is pretty much how I mix.

I think its improved my speed of getting a tune mixed, because i'll always try my best to get it locked before i bring it in so i dont have to ride the pitch too much, as its still something im trying to perfect.

Thats it.

& I tend to find manipulating the record is quicker than moving the pitch up & down to get stuff locked, obviously you need to do a bit of both before you start moving the fader up to get in the mix, so you can "step back" from the pitch effectively when in the mix.

Your logic is pretty much the same as mine. (y)

I never nudge forward anymore, i used to be terrible, giving the spindle the old twisty twisty.

Now, i just start a tune faster than the one thats playing, gently touch the platter (not the record) until it slides back in time with the tune thats playing, then pitch ride til its locked.

Im not fucking about riding the pitch until the tune is in the mix. If the upfader isnt up, i'll manipulate the record/platter as much as i want lol. But once the tunes in the mix, i'll stick to the pitch.

gospel mate, fuck with that platter until ur fingerprints fall off before that x fader is up

to be fair with current tunes being such similar bpms i cant see why riding the pitch exclusively would even be a problem - Unless you drop it massively out of time to start with lol!

Fair enough, but if you learn to pitch ride completely you won't need to be messing around with it at all once the fader is up!

Once you think you have it locked. LEAVE IT. My mate found he was getting it perfectly locked, then just didnt leave the pitch alone after he knew he had the mix tight. Causing it to go out and sound terrible, when if he'd just left it alone and waited a couple of bars he'd have known if he should have manipulated the tune.

Get it locked and take a step back.

its very rare i get a mix COMPLETELY locked, i am always touching the platter or slightly nudging, I would consider myself a good mixer too, i find you get more prone to noticing it being out by a fraction even if no one else would, like when i record a mix i find my self stopping half way as i was not happy with the smallest details and my mates will ask why i stoppped, so yeah i do over think, what you suppose to do? under think and be a sack of shit?

so yeah i do over think, what you suppose to do? under think and be a sack of shit?

i think by "overthinking" they mean that even when the tunes are actually locked, you still move the pitch cause you start to think they're not and do damage (get the tunes out of sync). just exactly as forau said.

but yeah, i believe it's better to overthink than underthink.

What do u mean by pitch ride how do u do that ?
not sure if you are taking the piss or not, but 'pitch riding' is speeding the record up or down to keep it in sync with another record only by moving the pitch fader - so if you need to speed up a tune you push the pitch faster and pull back when they get locked, and visa versa if its slower. You can feel like you're riding a bull sometimes until you get the hang of it haha

its very rare i get a mix COMPLETELY locked, i am always touching the platter or slightly nudging, I would consider myself a good mixer too, i find you get more prone to noticing it being out by a fraction even if no one else would, like when i record a mix i find my self stopping half way as i was not happy with the smallest details and my mates will ask why i stoppped, so yeah i do over think, what you suppose to do? under think and be a sack of shit?

I agree but overthinking can be just as bad, you end up trying to compensate for tiny mistakes, and the mistakes are so tiny the adjustment you do to correct it throws it out even more because it was out so minutely out.

Been meaning to learn to pitch ride for quite a while now, whenever i try it though it never works and pisses me off. Takes the fun out of having a mix! Agree on the few beers front, always mix better when relaxed, couple drinks gets me there. Especially when playing out

Back
Top Bottom