DnB Opinions on UKF Drum & Bass

'The genre is lucky it exists'

Why?

"promoting drum & bass to a wider audience."

Pretty much that, where else can you directly place a drum & bass track in front of 1mill+ people? Everyone who releases drum & bass wants their music on there, essential exposure.

"promoting drum & bass to a wider audience."

Pretty much that, where else can you directly place a drum & bass track in front of 1mill+ people? Everyone who releases drum & bass wants their music on there, essential exposure.

But what's the point of the exposure if the target audience on there arn't necessarily the type of people that are actually going to buy the music (as opposed to just ripping it)? I also find it unlikely that many of them will be going out and supporting their local nights. I know those are fairly old and worn stereotypes, but the actual (supposed) positive impact of exposure to the UKF demographic is fairly hard to quantify. No such thing as bad press yada yada yada, and obviously if it gets any people properly into a genre it's all well and good, but saying the genre is lucky to have it pushing it a bit for me..

Give me evidence to the contrary and i'll happily eat my words, I'm curious more than anything.

tbh if you think that ~100.000 views on a neuro/deep/whatever is not considered mainstream tune/ are not helping the genre then I don't know anymore
if just 0.1% of the people either support the tune or buy the tune thats 100 extra sold units or guys at your gigs (which in dnb terms is actually a LOT)
also exposure yadayada

and if you consider the masses of people that are watching the videos its kind of obvious that you get your handful of cringeworthy comments

again though, it would be interesting to see figures. Obviously we can't so it will always be open to debate.

Saying the scene is lucky to have UKF is a massive statement (imo). Obviously exposure is great, but that in itself isn't conclusive evidence for the statement.

opinions etc

again though, it would be interesting to see figures. Obviously we can't so it will always be open to debate.

Saying the scene is lucky to have UKF is a massive statement (imo). Obviously exposure is great, but that in itself isn't conclusive evidence for the statement.

opinions etc
200k views on any track is ridiculous exposure. Just imagine how the charts would be is Spinnin didnt have a youtube channel, it plays a massive part. Just the music video of Bangarang wouldve contributed a huge chunk of its popularity and exposure.

opinions etc

To be fair, that's pretty much how I got really into Drum & Bass, Skippin through the channel, looking for the tunes I really liked and then waiting for the artists to perform somewhere in the Netherlands.

Eventually I started looking for the music more by myself, but UKF was a big help in getting me started, without it I would've probably still found my music since I just started going to noisia events, but it would've taken me a lot longer to really get into it I think.

For me personally i like UKF as it initially led me to discover dnb and i would be completely fucked without it. Since then i have discoverd all different kinds of dnb/jungle leading me to realise that most of the UKF type 'party dnb' is pretty soulless compred to some of the older stuff where you can tell someones heart and soul has gone into the production of their music. You gain an insight to the producers character and personallity whereas many songs produced nowdays which are championed by UKF are generic with no individuallity but are perfect to be played at a student nightclub. However can you blame them for champing this type of music?? This party dnb now has mass appeal, espescially in america and aus where its cool to be a UKF follower and to buy their clout. Also i think most of the ridiculous childish comments comes from the young american followers who have fun arguing over the internet. However UKF also has the power to be able to expose new and upcoming artists to a wide audience which could allow them to gain new followers, alo they can expose artists who produce all kinds of dnb, like recently they have uploaded tunes from S.P.Y, ANDY C, IVY LAB, LENZMAN, BCEE, EMPEROR, JOE FORD. Some of these part time dnb followers might actually look into some of Andy c's early stuff and realise dnb has much more to offer.

in b4 thread turns to cancer.

whether or not its a good thing, the fact remains ukf sucks.
it breeds a poor stereotype of a drum and bass enthusiast.

where did all these one post people come from?lol

i also have no opinion on ukf

i find most new music on soundcloud or from mixes etc

You all talk about UKFDnB comments being retarded, some of you lot come out with utter shite on dnbforum too. Noone can honestly argue with the quality of the uploads, it's an extremely fair representation of the overall scene in drum and bass. Big artists often have their tracks uploaded there alongside relatively unknown emerging artists and all styles of dnb are accounted for.

I don't know how anyone can argue that it's bad for the scene.

You all talk about UKFDnB comments being retarded, some of you lot come out with utter shite on dnbforum too.

First point: yes, but not on the scale - and at least the shit on here generally makes sense in English. See UKFjesus for examples.

2nd: I don't think anyone did argue that it's bad for the scene?

You all talk about UKFDnB comments being retarded, some of you lot come out with utter shite on dnbforum too. Noone can honestly argue with the quality of the uploads, it's an extremely fair representation of the overall scene in drum and bass. Big artists often have their tracks uploaded there alongside relatively unknown emerging artists and all styles of dnb are accounted for.

Spot on

Re: Opinions on UKF Drum & Bass

Talk here is pretty retarded too, but you can't deny that 99% of UKF's business model is literally promoting aural cancer to children.

- - - Updated - - -

On the whole though I think it's great - this is what the internet was supposed to do, enable new forms of broadcast like this.

I see other old heads waxing lyrical about the days of recording stuff off pirate radio and then schlepping across the country to record shops for months trying to figure out just exactly what each of the tunes that were hurting them most were even called. Fuck that for a lark, having youtube / soundcloud / mixcloud / ustream / facebook and twitter / forums etc etc etc is miiiiiiles better.

I remember travelling ten miles to hick Irish towns back in the 90's to the one newsagent that sold Mixmag and then poring over the DnB reviews (at the time they had two seperate DnB review columns, one from Blackmarket and one from Eastern Bloc) wondering A: if I'd heard any of the tunes on any of the tapes my cousin would send me in the post ever few weeks and B: if I ever would.

UKF = miles better than that shit, good luck to those kids.

Back
Top Bottom