Musical question

alz

compress to impress
VIP Junglist
So i was really bored one day and decided to arrange my tunes by key. BUT im really not a musical person, not yet anyway. So i was talking with a friend of mine, and a fellow dnbforum head who said that surely theres no point arranging them by key, because that'll change depending on the bpm that the song is played at, cos the speed changes the pitch, after it takin a while to sink in i saw his point but didnt necessarily agree with him.

Anyway, can someone with a lil more knowledge shed some light on this, cheers.

good question i am interested in this but can shed no light, there was some discussion on this a while back about andy c's in key mixing or something, made me wonder...

There was thread about this cant rember what it was called. It have all answers to your questions in there. Try and find it.

Maybe go on Chemical and check through the tunes you have in your collection and see what keys Chemical have listed them as.

think of it this way

vinyl 1 is at the key of c

vinyl 2 is at the key of c

vinyl 1 is 175 bpm

vinyl 2 is 173 bpm

to be able to beatmatch 2 into 1 it needs to be sped up more as its a slower song. speeding it up more = more higher pitch. sooo, vinyl 1 would be c but vinyl 2 will be higher in pitch so a higher key its in.

so yh, marking ur vinyls in there keys r pointless??....

I really want to clear this debate up...

The key of the tune is the key in which the tune is originally written in - ie - the original note that the tune starts in. When you pitch up a tune (speed it up) you are only pitching up the same key - not changing it.

yh after messing round with ma decks n keyboard he is right.. i was pitching it up and playing the note and it was the same for the phew bpm i pitched up n down but, and i hope im not wrong again.. I found if u pitch it up or slow it down to much (about 10 bpm wich ur probs not gonna do unless ur mixing in soming like pulp fiction) it does go into the next note up or down.. and playing 2 notes next to each other is a clash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom