Mixing vs. Mastering: Which one should take longer?

It all depends on how you define, "mixing." I spend forever on tunes so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice. Separating the two stages is often recommended. Personally, there isn't much difference between them for me anymore. It's turned into one interactive process. I often go back and change things in the mix during mastering. Then I use mastering just to take that little bit further toward the sound I'm after. It's often about pushing things a little too far and then pulling back just a little bit.

Mastering is best left for the pro's, never attempted it and never will, slapping ozone on a wav you've bounced out is not mastering.

i've always said that. but i did try .... and i certainly benefited. i've played around with multi-band compression before but when i learnt how to use Logics multipressor properly (courtesy of attempted mastering) i whacked it on the drum bus and its the fucking one.
Mastering is best left for the pro's, never attempted it and never will, slapping ozone on a wav you've bounced out is not mastering.

Last edited:
i've always said that. but i did try .... and i certainly benefited. i've played around with multi-band compression before but when i learnt how to use Logics multipressor properly (courtesy of attempted mastering) i whacked it on the drum bus and its the fucking one.
Mutiband Compression works wonders, its amazing. But yeah it's more for bus mixing than mastering, expecially since multiband compression can change the sound dramatically, which is something you dont want in a master. Even if somebody does do some mastering with ozone, with a proper mix they should barely touch the compression.

Back
Top Bottom