[Jungle] Do these 'bell' sounds come from the Amen Break? *update* Chopping The Think Break Help

strove

Sup! First Post :D

Recently started getting into production using Ableton.
Decided that I want to try and re-create an old-skool Jungle vibe as a way of learning the basics of DnB production as I've always loved that Jungle sound.

Long story short, I thought I'd kick things off with a fundamental amen break and try and replicate some of that old-skool goodness :D

Slicing up the amen break was simple enough, I ended up doing it manually, creating kick, snare, hat, crash samples.

what I am trying to work out is where this 'bell' sound is coming from in many jungle tracks? Ive found it quite prominent in so many and can't work out if its part of the amen break or not??

Heres an track that describes what I mean...

You can hear the sound in pretty much all of the drum loops in the track. Is it just a really high-pitched hi-hat?

Its the hi-hat from the Think break.

You could achieve something very similar with most other hi hats though, just by heavily high passing and adding some resonance.

Did anybody think of an actual drum kit? With Kick, Snare, Hat, Crash/Splash/China, and... RIDE?

The bell sound is surely the ride bell being played. Go on, get some real drum samples and see for yourself. Ride. Bell.

*bump*

Sup dudes?

So I have been playing around with all sorts of breaks and having a great old time...But am heaps confused about how these tambo sounds from the Think break are chopped up.

Is the technique to grab a copy of Think Break 1 (the one with only the tamborines), pitch it up, then loop it?

or

is each cheeky little tambo hit chopped up individually? I tried doing this and it sounded gash...but I am very much a noob, so it could just be due to my shittness hahahaha

I found a kinda helpful viddy on the subject by a dude that was shopping it up for an electric kit:

Any tips are much apreeseeeesh!

I usually pitch the break to the correct tempo, and then chop at the big hits (kick/snare, possibly a shuffle if there's something distinct I want). Then the groove of the break is preserved, but I get tight hits for the main beats.

I usually pitch the break to the correct tempo, and then chop at the big hits (kick/snare, possibly a shuffle if there's something distinct I want). Then the groove of the break is preserved, but I get tight hits for the main beats.

Ah Yes I think I know what you mean. thanx m8

Oh, and if you want to just use the Think-tambs, cut out a double "tsjigga-tsjigga", pitch that to the correct tempo and bounce to audio.
While you're at it, apply lo and hi cut as well, using a *clean* eq with a gentle filter, 6db slope or gentler. That means you'll have to use what would seem like quite dramatic cut off frequencies, but you'll stay clear of ugly artifacts which are *very* easy to get when working with the Think break.

In fact, when you're at it just render out 1 bar loops using that technique for every tempo you normally work with (let's say 170 to 175 bpm). Then you won't have to do it again for every project.

Thanks @lug00ber

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pitch to tempo' ...

What software are you using?

In Ableton...it seems to just be a matter of adding 'warp markers' to the sample. Once that's done, you can change the master BPM to any value and the sample will stretch/compact accordingly...however the pitch is not affected, rather I think I would then need to transpose up or down however many octaves until I like the sound....make sense?

Thanks for the tips on lo / hi cuts, I'll give that a go!

I use Cubase, and a sampler VST called Shortcircuit. I would recommend using a sampler for it, so that you can finetune the pitching to make the tempo fit as good as possible.
I don't know anything about Live, so there might be an option to make the warper thing change pitch instead of timestretching for all I know :)

You can see me demonstrating the process in a seminar I did at a computer party once:

Multiple edits: for reasons beyond me, the forum software seems to auto-embed youtube-links no matter how I insert them. So fast forward manually to 29:42 for the part I'm referring to.

Thanks, but I'm not really a guru. You're probably thinking of @fanu ;)

No, never been into Ableton, I've been using Cubase for uh.. 10 years now, so I'm probably stuck with that for the foreseeable future. I'm a grumpy old man, I don't like change :D

Glad I could help :)
There's a second seminar video as well (from the year after), which is mostly about layering breaks. Basically picking up where the one linked above left off. Might be of inspiration to you :)

@lug00ber
Sorted
- pitched the break up,
-cut it into 3 slices: 1st kick, 1st snare, 2nd snare
-then bounced to midi and arranged into jungle sounding goodness (baddness) hahaha :D

disclaimer: didn't fine tune / EQ anything just yet.
here's the result http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/3WDaw7Lt/file.html

Thanks, but I'm not really a guru. You're probably thinking of @fanu
There's a second seminar video as well (from the year after), which is mostly about layering breaks. Basically picking up where the one linked above left off. Might be of inspiration to you :)
Will most def have a watch of this!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom