How to get drums tight

there's no fixed rules mate, yes there are general frequency ranges you should normally use, as it depends on what samples you use.

I'm sure some of the guys will disagree but I tend to keep my drums all mono - but everyone has their own subtle differences in the way they produce

cymbals - u talking about when its used to start a breakdown (ie on its own)? or say when u use it layered with a kick at the end of a break for like a variation? - really depending on the context u use it in u can eq it accordingly

sometimes its best to just use ur ears to get everything to fit - u'll know if it sounds right if u compare it to say a pro tune :not_worth

for bass normally u can cut a "hole" in ur sub for where the kick peaks (so u can hear it punch thru otherwise sometimes the bass can drown the kick) and possibly boost the same frequency of ur kick slightly - if that don't work you can try sidechaining (another topic lol)

if u want a bit of info on frequencies etc u can check:

http://alternatingfrequencies.com/2b4/index.php?topic=78.0

more of just a guide where particular sounds tend to fit, defo not a be all and end all as it says in the thread :)

sweet mate, great help :)

Harmonics is a key thing too, for example if you have a kick drum peaking at 94Hz (find it out with an analyzer or EQ), layer in another one (or boost a break) at +1 octave, which means x2 the original peak, in this case roughly 188Hz. That gives your sounds a whole new punch, plus they're also "in tune" with eachother.

Also when working in stereo, dont be afraid to pan drums. This can work especially well with cymbals and other high range material - just dont overdo it, never use hard panning (100% on either side), instead keep it subtle. Having everything straight down the mid kind of obsoletes working in stereo.

Big up, great advise!!

usefull to u! yea but not to me i dont use fruity!lol
only jokin hav a blast!

Oh noes! A non FL user!! You must feel soo left out! haha

I'm pretty sure most people on DnB Forum use, CuBase, FL or Reason. If they use something else they are prolly using another forum in addition to this one.

I followed these tips and it came out GREAT! Balls, it such an improvement :D

I shall post later

for kicks - very simple and not very creative but get a 909 sample pack.. every kick on from the 909 is just fucking beautiful.. im going through a bit of an obsession with them of late

also obviously eq to taste , some gating possibly and transient shapers

gating can work as well to make things snappy, but mainly its just an Enveloper that does it the most efficiently.

EQ out any of the muddy freqs, so you have mainly the frequencies of the pitches of the drum hits coming through. Will help them stand out more. If that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom