headphones for producing

Claimed frequency response is a marketing ploy, take it with a grain of salt. I have headphones that claim 5 - 35,000hz but pretty useless since average human hearing is around 35 - 18,000.

I know this is an old thread, but since it was rez'd anyways, might as well ask my question here.

I have a pair of Sony MDR700's which I bought for DJ'ing and am wondering if these are acceptable for use in mixing/mastering a track when producing? They are listed as "studio monitor" headphones by Sony but I know they are really more designed for DJ'ing use and not sure if there is too much coloring for them to be useful for producing.

Any thoughts?

All these peeps raving on about all these big name company headphones.....seriously.

Check these out!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/entry-dj-headphones-228226

It's what I use for production (I dont even own a set of monitor speakers!) and I swear by them! The sound is amazing, and when I research my tracks on friends monitors or other systems, it all sounds fine! And for 20 quid you cant grumble!

perhaps you could consider some moulded in ear monitors. I've heard some good things about these over the years though I have never tried any. They are supposed to be be better in protecting your hearing too as they need much less volume as they are inside your ear blocking external noise etc. Miszt said he was thinking of buying some and sent me a link to a company that create the custom moulded components, perhaps send him a personal message as I cant remember who the company were

I ended up grabbing some AKG K240 mkII's as they were on for a good price at my local shop (cheaper then internet, woot!). They seem pretty highly regarded on DSF as well as other audiophile/studio forums I checked.

I was honestly expecting to feel like I wasted my money when A/B'ing them to my 700's, but boy was I wrong. Everything is so crystal clear even at low volumes. I've never owned headphones of this quality before so I had no idea what to expect. And they are light as hcek too, I forget they are on my head.

I did use Hd25 but were to muddy now great for dj work.
now I use beyerdynanic dt150

Back
Top Bottom