Cloudkillers Rant

Ok thought I'd add my 10 pence...

Logged back into cloudkillers today and am going to see what sort of comments I get on a trip hop tune I made. Ive been on the site a few time and to be honest its a good way of getting more followers and some decent comment, yeah you get the odd "siiiiick tune check mine" but in between that you get some real good comments and one I have taken on board. I managed to gain a lot more followers in the process and feel the site is a great way of getting other peoples opinions on my music other than just "yeah its good" or an unbiased view because lets face it your mates will say anything you make is good, you could record a fart and stick a dubstep beat to it and they'd say "yeah its good well done". I think some people are getting the wrong idea about it and think its an ego boost, let me ask you would you rather have no comments or the odd one from a mate with a biased review and let the track fester in the background? or do you want to get some decent comments, more followers etc?

I remember watching an LTJ Bukem documentary and his manager back then Tony (what a complete arse! but came out with some valid points) said that he cant stand those that make a tune in their bedroom and say that they cant send it to record labels or let it go commercial, it has to be so underground that only my mum and dad can hear it. He is right! and from the start of this thread thats what it seems like! lol you can carry on networking your music posting tunes around sites and getting your mates to comment or you can really do something about it. I'm currently on two record labels at the moment, they are not big labels but Im very happy to just be selling music. The reason I got onto them labels was because I asked the right people for feedback I also used cloudkillers which boosted up my followers. I also post into the soundcloud groups and get even more comments, I also have two radio shows on two different stations and this is through hard work by hustling like hell.

I dont care if my opinion in this thread flops, it'll probably flop worse than an OAP's cock at a brothel but I just think that if some of you are going to just upload your tunes and hope that someone comments, you wont get anywhere. Also if your only making music for yourself and dont do it seriously and are moaning about these sort of sites it just makes you look a right snob just because others are actually making an effort to get their music listened to. Lets face it... you do get some shite comments but in the times Ive used cloudkillers Ive had some really good comments and the opinions I valued and took on board, I also gained a lot of followers that I still interact with still to this day. When some of you say its about ego, dont you think that your using your ego? "Im too good for cloudkillers I only get three comments" just looks silly and stupid. Fair play if you just stick up music and dont want any feedback or just doing it for yourselves then fine but I bet at the back of your minds your thinking that you'd like more comments, followers and what not but just dont want to admit to using such a website to hit your targets.

My views anyhoo

I'd just like to point out I too have tracks released on 2 separate labels, and DJ on radio stations and out at gigs, all of which have been achieved without using cloudkillers!

at the end of the day, don't you know people who you can ask for an opinion on your music? mates for example, or people on this forum seem to give pretty comprehensive and honest feedback. Not sure why you would feel the need to gain a lot of followers as it doesnt improve your music in any way

at the end of the day, don't you know people who you can ask for an opinion on your music? mates for example, or people on this forum seem to give pretty comprehensive and honest feedback. Not sure why you would feel the need to gain a lot of followers as it doesnt improve your music in any way

I also ask people on forums and get good feedback I also ask my mates but not all of them give unbiased feedback. I dont see what the problem is with cloudkillers to be honest, of course it doesnt improve the music all it does is gets people to listen to your music and give feedback outside of dance music forums and friends. People can moan about it all day long but essentially if you want to do something about your music and get some decent views, new followers etc then its a good tool. Its not all for egos or people wanting instant fame, if people think that then they are only kidding themselves. I find it a good tool to gain more from my music opinions wise. I also join groups on facebook, soundcloud groups etc which gets me some decent views. From time to time I pop onto cloudkilers and give that a go, as you can see from my soundcloud www.soundcloud.com/sparkidee you'll more than likely see what tracks have been on cloudkillers and what hasn't and I really dont care what anyone says about the site. I find it funny that some dont want to use it because it might make them look like beggers, the only people who think that are closed minded people who will always be stuck in a bubble and not really do much else.

please
name
me
one
person
who
got
noticed
and
is
now
established
by
using
cloudkillers

I dont think you really get the idea of it, if your thinking of super stardom then cloudkillers wont do that for you, its merely a site to enter your music/mixes into a pool where everyone on there listens and leaves a comment. I use it to gain different opinions from different people from diff walks of life outside the music forums, dance music groups on FB and SC etc. I also gain followers, favouritings and downloads in the process. Lot of people are getting the wrong idea about it and are just using one part of it as an excuse to say its shit for e.g. people who comment "sick tunes look at mine"... that is a part of it yes but my experiences have been positive! and I dont mean all complimentary comments I mean a mixture of good comments and constructive critism

so nobody. thank you. no im not thinking of superstardom at all. im looking for an example of anyone i or anybody else might have heard of.

your right, i dont get the idea of it. dont see the point either. it all seems like time you could spend making music.

you can say what you like. hell you can even try and make it sound positive. your wrong but you can try.
the fact is. you are only going to obtain minor attention from other cloudkiller users who are more interested in their own tracks that arent good enough to get any attention from their own merit.

bottom line.
cloudkillers is respected by nobody and is a cancer on a once good website.

so nobody. thank you. no im not thinking of superstardom at all. im looking for an example of anyone i or anybody else might have heard of.

your right, i dont get the idea of it. dont see the point either. it all seems like time you could spend making music.

you can say what you like. hell you can even try and make it sound positive. your wrong but you can try.
the fact is. you are only going to obtain minor attention from other cloudkiller users who are more interested in their own tracks that arent good enough to get any attention from their own merit.

bottom line.
cloudkillers is respected by nobody and is a cancer on a once good website.

And there will be those who disagree with your views outside of this forum, me included. You also admitted that you dont really get the idea about it therefore you may not understand it and will be dismissive of it which is up to you, some people find it of real benefit, some like to test the water then you get some who do it just so they can spam everyones tunes to ask to get them to listen to their music. Like every website they all have good and bad points, personally I dont see whats wrong with it. I havent bought any followers, that to me is a rather egotistical thing to do its the worst thing you can do but I feel using the cloudkillers site for reviewing tunes is fine, Ive come across some good stuff on there and followed some people myself and gave some honest feedback and I got some back in return without begging for it.

I'm an amateur producer, busy with Ableton for a bit over a year now. I'm a sax player actually, gigging with 4 different bands now and in total 8 bands the past 10 years. I got into Ableton due to a new project where we do the Balkan Beatbox trick : live instruments in combination with electronic beats. And yes, I'm on cloudkillers (with the band).

After doing some digging, it seems that Cloudkillers is part of the unfortunate age of what is now being dubbed "internet promoting," which essentially consists of having your tracks force fed to other people in addition to outsourced help that gets paid to literally write comments.
That's wrong. There's no "outsourced help", all comments are from other users. Many of them are amateurs, quite some of them are kiddies, some of them are skilled producers. All of them listen to music and have something to say.

I've read on other forums where defenders will say "it's a good way to have my music heard by a lot of people." Bullshit. Chances are they're listening 15 seconds (if that long) and then typing in a mindless comment with little to no value.
True. Chances are also that they did listen, downloaded your track and left a genuine comment. Small chances are some skilled producer tells you what's wrong with your mix, and _very important_ gives you a tip on how to solve it. But it happens.

While we all would love to make millions and become rich & famous, the reality is that won't happen.
Nope. I want two things :
1) play as much as possible. For that, we spam festivals, clubs, youth houses, everything we can find. We lobby, network, and spread our music to local radio stations and on all social media we can think of. Gives me between 40 and 80 gigs a year.

2) learn and improve. This is where cloudkillers comes in. No offense to you guys, but I tried different forums with the same system: I comment you, you comment me. DnB works the same. Each time I was left with nothing to learn, and about 3 generic opinions. With cloudkillers, I got tons more bullshit on our tracks, but in absolute terms tons more useful tips as well. If I have 10 helpful comments on a total of 200, that's still 7 more than through the forums I tried. And even if no skilled producer appears, the general drift of the comments do give me a good idea about which parts work and which don't.

Those of you cloudkilling your tracks, more power to you. Just don't count on me ever reviewing your tunes or having any respect for your work.
Fair enough. Not that I wouldn't value your honest opinion, but I understand you don't want to be bothered. I'm happy that people like Gridkeeper, Matt Laws, Burnhard and other skilled producers at cloudkillers differ in opinion. They learnt me a lot more than Vesper's tutorials.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this. And if any cloudkiller producers want to chime in and enlighten me, I'm all ears.
There you go.

Now put up the stake and let the burning begin ;)

PS. If you're genuinely interested in how our band sounds, look up "Gadje Scum" on soundcloud. Otherwise, don't be bothered.

Cheers you all and thank you for the vast amount of interesting information on this site and forum. (Yes, I'm luring here already for quite a while)

Last edited:
I'm an amateur producer, I'm on cloudkillers

Sick post bro. Be sure to check out my posts. Ctrl V

Still waiting for an example of someone that has used cloud killers to form a fan base instead of meaningless plays by other cloud killing bell slaps.

Why haven't I been given any examples yet? Because it doesn't work.

Make music not comments.

cloudkillers. rofl.

whoever uses that loses all my respect for his person and his music aswell.

stupid "i lick your ass you lick mine" bullshit. circlejerk par excellence. and that a 36 year old doesnt see that. sad.

whoever uses that loses all my respect for his person and his music aswell.
Personally, I'd like to form an opinion only after I've listened to it. Each to his/her own I guess.

stupid "i lick your ass you lick mine" bullshit. circlejerk par excellence. and that a 36 year old doesnt see that. sad.
rofl. All bullshit aside, I still got more tips through cloudkillers than on all forums I've tried together. You're free to prove me wrong, but I'm old enough to realize that's unlikely to happen...

@Gymnor......I actually understand what you are trying to convey to us in this thread, but I have to still agree with whats being said by the majority of this forum, that being said, it could've been worded a lot better to try and get our side of the story across to yourself.

I agree that as a general rule, forums suck for constructive feedback, but I feel this particular forum differs greatly. I have learnt pretty much everything I know from this forum, I have made some good friends along the way too. There's kind of an unwritten rule regarding forums that you get back what you put in. In other words, if you spend time participating in discussions, sharing your knowledge, offering help, giving feedback etc, you will receive a constant following and constructive feedback in return. If however you just show up, post a track with a title like "Best Track You'll ever hear! Give me feedback!" without offering anything back, chances are you'll get shunned. Which I may also add is kinda whats going on in the new talent section right here nowadays. But if you take a moment to notice, the people that have given time and knowledge to this place, will also have comments back on their stuff.

I personally would rather have 3 solid comments from the guys around here, that know what they are talking about, than 15 comments from randoms who I have no idea how far along their production or musical journey they are! You could get comments from someone telling you where you've gone wrong, but then check out their own productions and it turns out they don't have a clue what they're talking about? would you take those comments on board? or disregard them?

At least here, I know who's who, and who's opinion counts.

Also, you say you are using cloudkillers to build a fanbase, I'd like more information on how that works, because from what I could see, tracks come up in random, for you to comment on, so if you find someone you like, you go to soundcloud and then like and follow them, am I correct so far? If so, then surely skipping cloudkillers and going direct to soundcloud, and searching your favourite genre of music would yield better results in finding those hidden gems? As no matter how much anyone tries to argue the matter, the sole intention for anyone to be on cloudkillers, is to get more comments on a track, making said track seem more popular than it is, and in turn, giving yourself a larger e-penis?

Back
Top Bottom