Cloudkillers Rant

...........continued from 1st post:

Again, some misunderstand how Cloudkillers works with labels IMO. There are labels established at Cloudkillers and
there are labels that come there just to see who's doing what. It's hard work to actually earn the comments
received at Cloudkillers. The work is done in exchange for comments, simple and very effective.
labels look at the tracks, regardless of how many plays, and they read the comments. If there are repetitive
comments like "nice track" etc.. (which as i said earlier are being outlawed at a very fast rate), the labels are
experienced and wise enough to know what they mean/or don't mean. They read the constructive and descriptive
comments and take them on board. They analyze the feedback to see how real people feel about the track which helps
them make that crucial decision as to whether to sign it or not. Now they could pick up a really good track (in
their opinion) which has few comments and few views. Now on doing that they would now need to find out whether
people are going to like it or not so they'll have to go through the promo process more themselves to find out.
Cloudkillers allows them to see what's what. Much like discovering a song on youtube, myspace, blog etc...
regardless of view counts, they will read the comments. So like I said, Cloudkillers can be hard work, the more
you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

A voting system has also been introduced which is based upon mixdown quality, composition and originality. These
results are posted at fiercebark so no matter how many track plays or comments a song has, if you really want to
know how good it is then this is the place to look. Also a place which labels go to when they are looking for the
cream of the talent.

Everyone makes music because they like doing it. The music industry has changed very much in the last several
years. You're not off base, that's your choice and you're opinion, but not everyone's. Just because you made
something which you like and think is ready, doesn't mean everyone else or even a label will like it.
If you placed your track onto Cloudkillers and the majority of the feedback came back saying you could do this
that or the other to make it better, so you change it, then sent it off to a label and they sign it. Then would
that not be better than sending it thinking it was good enough rather than knowing it was the best you could
achieve with your musical ability. Cloudkillers is real life. Cloudkillers is not a one stop solution - this is
also discussed a lot - Proper promotions involve many forms or effort across the web and diversity of the music
promotion is key. People who are highly motivated utilize many forms of promotion to move their life forward in
creative ways to help achieve their goals and ambitions whether it is just for fun/hobby or a career choice -
Typically these are the people who are 'making it' in the industry - people who don't just slack, but also put
effort into what they do (not just the music).

No one at Cloudkillers is allowed to beg or ask for track reviews or followers, there is a strict policy regarding
this. Thank you, Gridkeeper.

Cloudkillers : http://www.cloudkillers.com/register.php?aff=24104

Again, some misunderstand how Cloudkillers works with labels IMO. There are labels established at Cloudkillers and
there are labels that come there just to see who's doing what. It's hard work to actually earn the comments
received at Cloudkillers. The work is done in exchange for comments, simple and very effective.
labels look at the tracks, regardless of how many plays, and they read the comments. If there are repetitive
comments like "nice track" etc.. (which as i said earlier are being outlawed at a very fast rate), the labels are
experienced and wise enough to know what they mean/or don't mean. They read the constructive and descriptive
comments and take them on board. They analyze the feedback to see how real people feel about the track which helps
them make that crucial decision as to whether to sign it or not. Now they could pick up a really good track (in
their opinion) which has few comments and few views. Now on doing that they would now need to find out whether
people are going to like it or not so they'll have to go through the promo process more themselves to find out.
Cloudkillers allows them to see what's what. Much like discovering a song on youtube, myspace, blog etc...
regardless of view counts, they will read the comments. So like I said, Cloudkillers can be hard work, the more
you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

A voting system has also been introduced which is based upon mixdown quality, composition and originality. These
results are posted at fiercebark so no matter how many track plays or comments a song has, if you really want to
know how good it is then this is the place to look. Also a place which labels go to when they are looking for the
cream of the talent.

Everyone makes music because they like doing it. The music industry has changed very much in the last several
years. You're not off base, that's your choice and you're opinion, but not everyone's. Just because you made
something which you like and think is ready, doesn't mean everyone else or even a label will like it.
If you placed your track onto Cloudkillers and the majority of the feedback came back saying you could do this
that or the other to make it better, so you change it, then sent it off to a label and they sign it. Then would
that not be better than sending it thinking it was good enough rather than knowing it was the best you could
achieve with your musical ability. Cloudkillers is real life. Cloudkillers is not a one stop solution - this is
also discussed a lot - Proper promotions involve many forms or effort across the web and diversity of the music
promotion is key. People who are highly motivated utilize many forms of promotion to move their life forward in
creative ways to help achieve their goals and ambitions whether it is just for fun/hobby or a career choice -
Typically these are the people who are 'making it' in the industry - people who don't just slack, but also put

No one at Cloudkillers is allowed to beg or ask for track reviews or followers, there is a strict policy regarding

Cloudkillers : http://www.cloudkillers.com/register.php?aff=24104

is this joker the goddam CEO of CloudKrappers?

Couldnt of said it better myself. Another pet hate is those people who put "yo dude nice tune, check out mine at soundcloud.com/themorepeoplewhoclickplayonmytracksthecooleriam.com" gets right on my tits. Personally i think alot of the the people couldkilling there tracks are insercue about there music and somehow think comments mean its good. I would happily take 1 comment from someone who actully has a clue or some passion over 1 million comments from mindless mugs anyday of the week!

PS: Ive only ever had 3 comments on my tunes. 2 where from people trying to get me to look at there tracks and the other one was my mate calling me a "cunt" :(

please post your soundcloud link

Interesting posts here, especially your initial post Lostnthesound - you articulately describe what I think most of us feel when we see a track with 200 plays but a ton of comments (and probably the same artist is following 2000 people and has hundreds of followers back), but also IV4 I agree you go against the grain a little but your arguments are good - if you gained something from it then I can see that it may have some use.

I think GridKeeper is obviously affliated with Cloudkillers (though it's obvious I think you should declare that GridKeeper), and I for one think you're welcome to come and give a different point of view even if I don't agree with what your service does. I understand also you may have ambitions that the site provides only useful feedback and also that the cream will float to the top, but it's hard with systems like this not to believe that simply those that comment the most (and favourably) get the largest amount of favourable comments back. I struggle with the difference between that and making comments direct on soundcloud and following 2000 people etc, surely labels will notice that the top tracks are not really so great? I state this without having used the service so I'm open minded enough to see examples otherwise.

IV4 you also touch on a good point that allot of people don't want a constructive comment on soundcloud (may even been interpreted as negative). It's allot better imo to use this forum and get some frank feedback from other producers, but I think you also need to recognise that people who produce music aren't 'ordinary' listeners (yes of course we all like music and are fans too, but when you listen to a track you likely know how certain sounds were accomplished or if the track is really good you're probably trying to figure out 'how did they do that?'). Other producers can be tough critics but they'll give you some feedback you might actually need that is not of the like of 'nice tune m8' or your own circle of friends/family who are probably encouraging you to continue. So far I have only seen such feedback in places like this forum and I really appreciate that :)

Which brings me onto a point not yet discussed. Constructive feedback between producers is fine, but really surely the target is the end customer and not such a niche as other producers. I'm not really trying to promote my work (it's not yet good enough) but I should think if I did I would target music blogs or channels reaching the end customers, seems to me there are quite a few that are somewhere inebtween startup and making it really large like UKF or something, wouldn't this be the best place rather than other producers etc?

Also last i read on the subject most labels do seem to listen to their dropbox's though the advice I've seen says to be real picky about when you send them stuff and make sure it really is your best work.

Perhaps I'm missing something about CloudKillers and all this soundcloud mutal backstcratching (that you can do by yourself really?), I'd be interested to see some examples of artists who said they made it because of these kinda things?

I'm glad my post has stimulated so much discussion. I was especially surprised to see this thread get bumped, and by none other than someone who appears to be closely affiliated with cloudkillers.

Gridkeeper, you have every right to defend your employer/company, and you certainly presented some interesting points.

When I started venturing into music well over 16 years ago, there was no Soundcloud, Cloudkillers, Facebook, etc. DJing was done mostly via vinyl, and unless you had a friend willing to show you the ropes, figuring out the art of DJing was a task you taught yourself. Once you managed to perfect your craft, then began the tedious task of getting your name out there...making your face known around certain clubs, passing out flyers & mixtapes, getting to know the "right" people/promoters at every venue–promoting yourself on your own took as much time as learning/perfecting your DJ skills! Whenever you finally booked first "gig" whether it was an opening slot at a small club or your mate's basement, suddenly all of that time spent was meaningful and extremely rewarding.

The same events described above apply to the path of music production as well: You have to learn the tools on your own unless you're fortunate enough to have someone show you the ropes and when you finally grasp the fundamental concepts and have created your own unique "sound," it's time to promote yourself while soliciting/distributing whether it be for label release consideration or for feedback from some listeners. The digital age has certainly called an audible to the process, and this is where the problem began manifesting itself.

Many fame hungry, overnight rookie "superstar producers" in the game of music production have a false perception of the industry: that there are "shortcuts" to fame whether it stems from your song becoming a "YouTube Overnight Wonder" or paying for reciprocating feedback from complete strangers. It's this fast-tracking mentality that is degrading the integrity of the art of music production, and is causing these so-called producers to put more time into promoting their horribly produced music rather than investing the time into putting every ounce of their being into their skill enabling them to fine tune their craft. They feel that a shortcut to musical genius and worldwide fame is within reach, perhaps within the form of copying a set of plugins/presets they see a producer use or mention...or maybe that one post they drop on a famous producers page.

The evidence is everywhere. For example, look no further than the Facebook comments left when any established producer uploads a screenshot from their DAW:

"Woah, what plugin is that dudez!?"

"That DAW suxxx bro!"

"Please tell me what synth that is, don't be an asshole!"

"Cool! Here's my song leave feedback pls."

Many years ago, I would have been completely in awe if you told me I could communicate with an established producer or DJ I looked up to. To know that I could contact, leave a comment for them to read or learn from their tutorials would be a privilege and an honor. Today, there are those who somehow feel they have a right to troll, shit on, and essentially disrespect well established producers–it's as if they think they are the one's who are owed something when the reality is that they aren't owed a goddamn thing.

So what's the point of this quickly growing post? I'm of the opinion that experience is the only thing that separates an "ok" producer/musician/dj/ from a great one. Much like reading a textbook, you cannot skip to the final section and magically comprehend all of the content without understanding the material that came before it. It takes patience, practice, and genuine, active interaction with colleagues such as the members of this (free) forum, this community. It also takes two important characteristics: respect and humility.

I'm still relatively new to this community but I try to contribute as much as I can, when I can. I never leave dickhead-ish comments on an established producers Facebook/Twitter/Soundcloud page (which, surprisingly, results in them actually responding to me! What a fucking surprise!). I will never patronize someone's work or act as though I'm somehow the next Andy C. nor will I assume I know more than the next person. Why? Because I'm trying to earn my spot (along with msmith222) through first-hand experience while maintaining a my artistic integrity. I want to contribute my knowledge and absorb the knowledge of others in order to keep my skills growing and I want to establish myself the good ole fashion way: by earning it. All to often I read "I signed up for this forum 2 days ago and uploaded 20 tunes, no one has left me feedback!" You know why? Because you haven't earned it. You're trying to take a shortcut to obtain feedback when you have done little to nothing in terms of establishing yourself or contributing to this forum, this community. Again, this false sense of self-entitlement shows its ugly self.

Maybe I'm out of touch, maybe this hard work/effort-driven approach is a bit old school or stubborn. Whatever it is, it's something I believe firmly in and feel that others do as well. I don't expect to become famous, but I'd be lying if I said msmith222 and I wouldn't welcome it. And if Cloudkillers takes off and churns out some successful artists that swear by the service, I suppose you're entitled to having the "last laugh." But, in the end, if msmith222 and myself (or anyone else for that matter) are able to continuously improve our skills, remain humble and create music that people listen to not because they have to but because they want to, then I'd say avoiding the shortcut in favor of the scenic route was worth every fucking second.

Cheers.

Last edited:
'used by many professionals and "EDM" labels among others' - stopped watching

HI, I don't mind if you don't want to watch it. I'm interested to know why that would stop you from watching it. I'd just like to understand the logic behind that decision if that's ok. thanks.

To conclude, if you want to make music just for you don't share it. If you do, advertise. Cloudkillers might not be the best place but the dnb forum is the best place.

Proceed with discussion because it helps me.
Hi thanks for your honesty. I was interested to lok through your comments and saw the short ones which serve no purpose. I'll see if they're members of cloudkillers. We are clamping down massively on this and are about to place a minimum word count for the comments box so if someone says they like a track i.e. awesome track etc..., then they will have to explain in detail as a constructed sentence what they actually thought was awesome about it it and the same goes for advice too. These types certainly keep me on my toes as a moderator but I joined the team to clear this problem up. It's one of the main reasons i'm there. I agree it's not perfect and we are working in the direction to build it into something much greater than it has been in the past. I also agree with you about posting your tracks in this forum may get you better feedback on a one on one basis as at cloudkillers not all the members are familiar with all genres. saying that, i do believe cloudkillers is a good way to get feedback from a wider audience. best regards, Duncan (Gridkeeper)

You don't understand mate. The people using this 'service' will be almost completely irrelevant to people on here. You using 'Edm', some fucked up Americanism proves this

Yes I understand thank you. I agree with you about regarding people using the service being almost completely irrelevant to people on here. I actually know something about DnB. Used to work in the same studio as Friction and I used to cut the master plates for Trouble on Vinyl (and many others) when Neil from Masterpiece came to work for me. This is not me trying to get all you guys into cloudkillers, that's not going to happen. This is me addressing some of the misconceptions that some of you have about cloudkillers. I do this for free so i've got nothing to gain in that respect. DnB falls under the Edm category. I'm sorry if you don't like that but that's how it is.

Last edited:
Just to state again for the record. Yes I work with Matt Laws (Binary Finary) at cloudkillers. I don't get paid, I am a volunteer. My name is Duncan and my production name is Gridkeeper. About me: Ex DJ retired in 2002 .I began as a club dj in 1990 at the age of 16 and have 23 years of experience in the industry including label production management. My DJ partner was DJ Merle for many years and we went on to form The Turntable Prostitutes.
Founded a CD and Vinyl mastering company in 2002 and ran it 'til 2006. (I was not the engineer!) Now I make dance remixes for you the listener. Worked on music for The Frid, Vaccum Blu, Merle, Wideboys, Vinyl Groover and the Redhead, R Kelly, Freemasons, Skint Records, Loaded Records, Tidy Trax, Bobby M, Cuba Recordings, Sony BMG Hip Hop and R n B, Dj Friction (Radio1), Nu Balance, Hellrazor, Booka T, Bellaunion, Chris Hampshire, Raiden, Dave Holness, Drop2Rise, Ed Real, Ed Funk, Five Am Records,Gorgeous Music, Hand On Records, Happy House Studios, Infinate Records, Incentive Music,Kingsize Records, Krafty Kuts, Kenny Ken, T.O.V., Trouble On Vinyl, Turbulence records, Ian Van Dahl, Dj Lynx, Top Buzz, Jason K, Dj Original Vibes, Boo Records, Bush Recoeds, Eric Powell, Supercharged Records, Storm Music, Spencer Chapman, Serious Records (Mercury), Tru Thoughts, and many many more......

I did wonder why I got the occasional 'this is a wonderful sound you have here' comments on my mixes. Now I know why...they must have wondered over from one of your creative writing boot camps. What a bizarre project you're running Duncan I have to say I find it intriguing...

in a nutshell and in my opinion ...

cloudkillers is used by amateurs. pretty much fact. its used by those wanting to boost their ego with extra comments.
(not that there is a problem with being amateur, how can there be, even the best started off there)

i challenge you to post 2 tracks, one with lots of genuine comments and another with cloudkiller comments. i bet my left nutsack i can tell which is which without even listening to the track.

cloudkiller comments are generally not genuine comments and contain no real feedback for the uploader. its people posting comments for the sake of it because thats how it works and they want comments back in return. fact!

the term cloudkillers is quite fitting because i feel this type of behaviour is killing soundcloud. i've certainly been put off the site due to these comments popping up.

it provides a service of getting more comments. thats it! don't try and make it out to be anything more because its not and anybody who would actually use it doesn't want anything more from the service.

I can't believe I used to think Soundcloud was full of air heads..

Duncan if you're not getting paid for this I'd love to know you're motivation is. Is Cloudkillers a cult or something? Have you been brain washed? You can tell us we won't tell anyone honest..

I struggle with the difference between that and making comments direct on soundcloud and following 2000 people etc, surely labels will notice that the top tracks are not really so great? I state this without having used the service so I'm open minded enough to see examples otherwise.

Which brings me onto a point not yet discussed. Constructive feedback between producers is fine, but really surely the target is the end customer and not such a niche as other producers. I'm not really trying to promote my work (it's not yet good enough) but I should think if I did I would target music blogs or channels reaching the end customers, seems to me there are quite a few that are somewhere inebtween startup and making it really large like UKF or something, wouldn't this be the best place rather than other producers etc?

Perhaps I'm missing something about CloudKillers and all this soundcloud mutal backstcratching (that you can do by yourself really?), I'd be interested to see some examples of artists who said they made it because of these kinda things?

HI the top tracks are not governed by how many votes or comments there are, far from it. No one has to rate a track but we do ask them to. many of the ones in the charts are already signed to the labels. Some creep in from unknown amateurs and that's when the larger labels approach them for releases or even remixes. This is great for creating opportunities for those who have worked hard in their productions and deserve some sort of a shot with a release. I'm not just talking about instant fame, a real chance to further their careers in the industry even if it's just one rung up the ladder. IMO

i tried to copy and paste the chart lists but it won't let me. You can see them here fiercebark.com/

Yeah we don't claim that cloudkillers is the only way to promote your music, blogs all the way, youtube etc... there's so many ways. At cloudkillers you can get very fast feedback if you like or you can have slow feedback, it's totally up to the user. Other users can also share tracks they like via their twitter or facebook accounts which is quite common on cloudkillers. So we see cloudkillers as a way to spread the promotion /return feedback much further and wider. IMO

Back
Top Bottom